Login    Register

Knocking struts

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Knocking struts

Postby markywr1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Yep ave got em :roll: took my car over to Adam today, and he said he hasn't heard one as bad before! so basically i cant stretch to the EXE-TC, so its a toss up between BC coilovers or Tein Super Street, Adam told me not to bother with the AST's.
What do you reckon guys?
markywr1

Postby Megaman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 pm

tein are a nightmare - i was going to get this setup with edfc but they are way over damped. the car bounces a lot around the road and makes B road driving a nightmare. Know some people with BC coilovers who are happy with them given the amount they cost so that would be my preference... i replaced with subaru parts purely because it gave me a new 3yr warranty per strut despite being expensive in the short term...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby markywr1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Cheers Mega, my last car had coilovers on and that ride was awful, i do like the standard setup, it is comfy, but wouldn't mind it a little stiffer. There are 2 types available in the BC range, BR series £649 and the RM series inverted coilover £849, is inverted better?
Also Adam mentioned you had the White line anti-roll bar fitted, would you recommend having that done too?
markywr1

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Bite the bullet Mark and go for exe-tc, worth every penny.
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Megaman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 pm

I dont know about the BC coil overs mate just know a few round my neck of the woods use them and say for what they cost they will replace with the same again if they go wrong. EX-TC are the best to go for but you pay for it. With regards to anti roll bars and strut braces, these made a huge difference to my car making it a lot flatter on corners and a touch stiffer than normal. Sharp corners i now have to take slower as the back end will kick out if gunning it but other than that really happy with the mods all round. I was going to get ARBs or coilovers and couldnt be bothered to save up stupid money that id never get back for coilovers which would probably do well to last a year with the 200+ speed humps i go over each week.

cheers

mega
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby markywr1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:45 pm

No seriously the EXE-TC's are out of the question, i'd have to sell my body, AGAIN :cry: am sure they are great, but i only use the car at weekends.
Plus i want to get new brake discs, fmic, and new headers, these need budgeting for :)
markywr1

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:55 pm

markywr1 wrote:No seriously the EXE-TC's are out of the question, i'd have to sell my body, AGAIN :cry: am sure they are great, but i only use the car at weekends.
Plus i want to get new brake discs, fmic, and new headers, these need budgeting for :)

Mark did'nt you buy Kevs car, with my old stuff on it ?

If you did, leave it with a topmount, got a aps fmic fitted an it does'nt run as good, evem my better half said we should have left it as it was. So the money you save by not getting a fmic would go along way for exe-tc
:wink:

Also ours only get used 2/3 time a month sometimes less :lol: :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby markywr1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Thats right, its Kev's old car, so would you not bother with the headers too? Have you got any Whiteline stuff on yours or just the EXE-TC?
markywr1

Postby John Mc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 am

markywr1 wrote:Thats right, its Kev's old car, so would you not bother with the headers too? Have you got any Whiteline stuff on yours or just the EXE-TC?

Whiteline ARB's and Strut Braces Front and Rear are pretty good. Love the handling, very predictable on the limit... need a bit of getting used to, but you could say that about a lot of changes!!
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby steve.w » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:00 am

i've got the bc coilovers on mine and can't fault them to be honest.
i went for the 5/4 spring rates and they're great for road use.you do get a little noise from them if you go over a pot hole or the likes with the top mounts being bare metal(ie no rubber coating) but they're a marked improvement over the oem struts.
there's a lot less spring travel so it improves body roll quite a bit yet the dampers aren't as harsh as standard,so,although the car is stiffer it feels a bit smoother to drive.improves the understeer these are known for too.
good bit of kit for the price :wink:
steve.w

Re: Knocking struts

Postby jd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:51 am

markywr1 wrote: Adam told me not to bother with the AST's.

Explain why not the AST?
1mposter is my hero.
jd

Re: Knocking struts

Postby markywr1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 pm

jd wrote:
markywr1 wrote: Adam told me not to bother with the AST's.

Explain why not the AST?

He said that either he or has known people have problems with them
markywr1

Postby markywr1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:52 pm

steve.w wrote:i've got the bc coilovers on mine and can't fault them to be honest.
i went for the 5/4 spring rates and they're great for road use.you do get a little noise from them if you go over a pot hole or the likes with the top mounts being bare metal(ie no rubber coating) but they're a marked improvement over the oem struts.
there's a lot less spring travel so it improves body roll quite a bit yet the dampers aren't as harsh as standard,so,although the car is stiffer it feels a bit smoother to drive.improves the understeer these are known for too.

Do you know which ones you have on, BR or RM series inverted, are inverted better?
markywr1

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:19 pm

markywr1 wrote:Thats right, its Kev's old car, so would you not bother with the headers too? Have you got any Whiteline stuff on yours or just the EXE-TC?

We've got ceramic coated headers supplied by Lateral Performance at about £750 without ceramic coating £350 then fitting on top.

If you want to go for a fmic you'll get around 400+bhp with about 380 lbft
I have the dyno readouts if you want to take a look plus the readouts with a a tmic aswell

Whiteline adjustable f/r arbs did have the droplinks aswell but went back to standard one, as a they brake, and on the firmest setting, also got the anti lift kit, but Exe-tc told me it makes no difference with their suspension fitted
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Megaman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:04 pm

i know two people with ASTs and both have been back twice because of leaking, both on third set now in about 2 yrs...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby steve.w » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 am

markywr1 wrote:
steve.w wrote:i've got the bc coilovers on mine and can't fault them to be honest.

Do you know which ones you have on, BR or RM series inverted, are inverted better?
mine are just the normal ones mate.
i believe the inverted are more for track day drivers as the oil reservoirs are at the top of the struts to keep them away from the heat.
i don't do track days so the normal are fine for me :wink:
steve.w

Postby markywr1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:23 pm

steve.w wrote:
markywr1 wrote:

mine are just the normal ones mate.
i believe the inverted are more for track day drivers as the oil reservoirs are at the top of the struts to keep them away from the heat.
i don't do track days so the normal are fine for me :wink:

Cheers Steve, sounds good to me, mine is just for road use too :thumb:
markywr1

Postby markywr1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:31 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:

We've got ceramic coated headers supplied by Lateral Performance at about £750 without ceramic coating £350 then fitting on top.

I have the dyno readouts if you want to take a look plus the readouts with a a tmic aswell

Whiteline adjustable f/r arbs did have the droplinks aswell but went back to standard one, as a they brake, and on the firmest setting, also got the anti lift kit, but Exe-tc told me it makes no difference with their suspension fitted

I know there's allways a certain amount of risk when modding, but if i was to go with the headers and keep the tmic, what bhp would i be looking at, and could i run into problems later on, would it be reliable? at the moment the up pipe to the turbo is blowing at the gasket so am loosing power there, rather than spend 3hrs labour fixing it, i thought it would be better of getting the headers on instead.
markywr1

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:07 pm

markywr1 wrote:
WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:

I know there's allways a certain amount of risk when modding, but if i was to go with the headers and keep the tmic, what bhp would i be looking at, and could i run into problems later on, would it be reliable? at the moment the up pipe to the turbo is blowing at the gasket so am loosing power there, rather than spend 3hrs labour fixing it, i thought it would be better of getting the headers on instead.

With headers and keeping the tmic I'd expect around 375, thats what power I had, had that for about 18 months with no major issues, had the same problem with the up-pipe, I've had the up-pipe changed in less than 90minutes by a local guy to me, but also had someone take over 3 :roll:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help