Login    Register

CLICKING NOISE FROM BACK OF CAR

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
CLICKING NOISE FROM BACK OF CAR

Postby ROSSCO » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:46 pm

I have a clicking noise coming from the back of the car , it is not continuous . It seems to be when a pull away from being stopped,
it does it , any idea, thanks
ROSSCO

Re: CLICKING NOISE FROM BACK OF CAR

Postby Bonovox » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:03 pm

ROSSCO wrote:I have a clicking noise coming from the back of the car , it is not continuous . It seems to be when a pull away from being stopped,

I get something similiar, thought it was the shockers ? but not so much a knock as a click, also get it going over speed bumps.
Bonovox

Re: CLICKING NOISE FROM BACK OF CAR

Postby John Mc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:53 pm

ROSSCO wrote:I have a clicking noise coming from the back of the car , it is not continuous . It seems to be when a pull away from being stopped,

I have the same noise which clicks when you first move either forwards or backwards. I took it to Subaru (KT Green) and they suggested that it may be the slack in the diffs taking it up when you first move.

Does it sound as though it comes from the rear brakes? I've just had my rear struts replaced so I know it's not that because the noise was there before and after.... the worn strut noise is very different...

Nothing serious they reckoned...
John Mc

Postby ROSSCO » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:55 pm

i thought it might be the brakes , its almost as it they are binding slightly , then letting go. Or the pads need changed and there is a bit of play.
ROSSCO

Postby John Mc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 pm

ROSSCO wrote:i thought it might be the brakes , its almost as it they are binding slightly , then letting go. Or the pads need changed and there is a bit of play.

find a bit of flat road and drive forward slowly, you'll hear it when you first move forward.... come to a stop without pressing the brakes and then go into reverse... you'll hear the same noise again... then go forwards again without pressing the brakes....

everytime you move from a rest you should hear the noise. If it is then I wouldn't worry, it'll be the slack in the diffs.
John Mc

Postby GARETH BALDWIN » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

i had this and subaru changed the rear drop links, they cost about 50 notes and its a ten min job, althought it did it again in 10k miles. might be your problem?!?
G BALDWIN
GARETH BALDWIN

Postby John Mc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:18 pm

GARETH BALDWIN wrote:i had this and subaru changed the rear drop links, they cost about 50 notes and its a ten min job, althought it did it again in 10k miles. might be your problem?!?

I had my drop links changed all round last weekend when Adam fitted the ARBs. The noise from these is more of a heavier clunking noise and the noise happens when you go over bumps too... not just pulling away.

I think the noise that Rossco is explaining sounds more like a light clicking noise?? Might be wrong though...
John Mc

Postby zedder » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Had the same clicking noise ever since ive had the car and spoke to someone who had another wr1 and he said that its the diff so i guess its just a feature of the car :roll:
zedder

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Ours used to drop/jolt 2 or 3 seconds when the hanbrake was released which meant the shocks were gone, according to subaru dealer :?

Or it could just be your rear pads clunking, drop links, arb bushes...

Try driving slowly over bumps aswell
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Megaman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 pm

I thought it was that trademark twitch and click that some subaru drivers do.. :?
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby OllyTB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Sounds ot me like the rear hub nuts!! HAd the issue when i had mine, used to spin the hub nuts loose even though they are a stacked nut they can relax slightly. Just pop the centre cap out and put abig breaker bar on them and tighten them up FT
OllyTB

Postby CAVEMAN » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:52 am

Sounds ot me like the rear hub nuts!! HAd the issue when i had mine, used to spin the hub nuts loose even though they are a stacked nut they can relax slightly. Just pop the centre cap out and put abig breaker bar on them and tighten them up FT

you never told me that when i bought it!! :lol:
CAVEMAN

Postby OllyTB » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:33 pm

So insignificant i'd forgotten about it! The dealer nipped them up when i had the drop links done and they came loose again about a week later. I did them myslef and they never made another sound!
OllyTB

Postby ROSSCO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:26 pm

which part do you tighten ?

Cheers
ROSSCO

Postby OllyTB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:27 pm

take the centre cap out on the rear wheels, you will see a big nut! It's that one, you may need to take the wheel off to actually tighten it, if it that on your of course!
OllyTB

Postby ROSSCO » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:50 pm

I took the wheel off today it seems there is a slight amount of movement between the brake disc and the lugs that the wheel nuts go on to. Any ideas what to do ? thanks
ROSSCO

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:20 pm

ROSSCO wrote:I took the wheel off today it seems there is a slight amount of movement between the brake disc and the lugs that the wheel nuts go on to. Any ideas what to do ? thanks

Put the wheel back on ! :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help