Login    Register

Rear struts

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Postby swrtno1 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:23 pm

I have had this problem twice now with the rear struts knocking.

Was looking a getting a set of coilovers and thought about a set of tein supper street but have came across these any one out there know anything about them or have them fitted. (RM series inverted coilover:type mh)

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/vehicle-chec ... 2&modID=81
IF IN DOUT, FLAT OUT!!!
COLIN McRAE R.I.P
swrtno1

Re: Rear struts

Postby Megaman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:58 pm

John Mc Tiddler (Dogging Expert) wrote:One of my rear struts has started knocking, spoke to KT Green Subaru and they said they normally replace pairs of struts as it was a known problem and if one has gone, it made sense to do both.... £1000 including VAT & Fitting!!! :shock:

Reading through the opinions on this and other threads... not sure whether to go for the same replacement with Subaru's 3yr warranty (as Subaru told me they would replace them as many times as required under warranty but I can imagine what will happen in reality if they were to fail prematurely... some clause will kick-in!!) or change for something else that cures the known issue...?!?

Not being a mechanic or anything, I don't fully understand the pro's and con's of the options!!

Any help appreciated... :thumb:

kt green told me to do the same mate so i replaced like for like. If they refuse to change for any reason i will get TEIN with EDFC purely because i like gadgets. AST are cheap but leak regularly according to at least two members ive spoken to. EX-TC are supposed to be the best but cost about 2-3 times that of other coil overs. TEIN are the middle man i guess... Also dont forget that changing the height of your car is not recommended in the owners hand book because your air bags can potentially not go off in an acident. There are various sensors that rely on the car being a set height to trigger air bags. Dont know if a few mm will make a difference but worth investigating before spending loads on coil overs.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Re: Rear struts

Postby John Mc » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:59 am

Megaman wrote:
kt green told me to do the same mate so i replaced like for like. If they refuse to change for any reason i will get TEIN with EDFC purely because i like gadgets. AST are cheap but leak regularly according to at least two members ive spoken to. EX-TC are supposed to be the best but cost about 2-3 times that of other coil overs. TEIN are the middle man i guess... Also dont forget that changing the height of your car is not recommended in the owners hand book because your air bags can potentially not go off in an acident. There are various sensors that rely on the car being a set height to trigger air bags. Dont know if a few mm will make a difference but worth investigating before spending loads on coil overs.

Cheers Martin,

Redline changed the 2 rear struts for the standard Subaru parts (genuine- as I insisted he sourced them through KT). All sorted with my car now, took a long time to get it sorted though!! :?
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 am

took me 3 months to get 1 strut out of them which pissed me off as they agreed before i bought the car to get both changed. robbing bastards!
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 am

Megaman wrote:took me 3 months to get 1 strut out of them which pissed me off as they agreed before i bought the car to get both changed. robbing bastards!

I think we both know what they are like mate having similar experiences there!!
John Mc

Previous

Return to Tech Help