Login    Register
  • Author
Power steering pump needed

Postby seanyb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi guys been strugling to find a replacement powersteering pump for my 1 was led to believe they were standard STI parts but seem to be different if anyone has a spare one kicking about they dont need let me know, cheers
seanyb

Postby seanyb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:48 pm

thanks for that will give them a try tomorrow
seanyb

Postby seanyb » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:09 pm

gave them a buzz today they sorted me out, £83 delivered job done...cheers
seanyb

Re: Power steering pump needed

Postby Crockel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm

seanyb wrote:Hi guys been strugling to find a replacement powersteering pump for my 1 was led to believe they were standard STI parts but seem to be different if anyone has a spare one kicking about they dont need let me know, cheers

What was the problem with the old pump?

L
Crockel

Postby seanyb » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:07 pm

the steering has never felt right since i got the car really wooly not precise, have had the tracking done new bc coilovers ps3 tyres still wasnt right so, put new fluid and belt on helped a little but then noticed the steering was juddering when sat stationary turning from lock to lock, think the fluid had been left in too long!
seanyb

Postby chiroman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi, did you get 4 wheel geometry done or just front wheel alignment?

The correct 4 wheel geometry alignment certainly makes car more stable and precise.

My steering feels a bit woolly too at low speeds which I notice more when tweaking the steering wheel left and right, ie soggy but always been the same. Maybe its the Prodrive springs.

Let us know what difference the new pump makes.

Mike
chiroman

Postby seanyb » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm

yeah got the full works hunter camera system with computer readout! I applied the prodrive settings not sure If I will stick with them may experiment and see If i can improve the turn in, I notice a difference in the steering feel when changing the centre diff settings, I realise that understeer is inherant on four wheel drive cars as is front wheel drive the result of torque applied to the wheels that steer, however there are a few things i want to try after the pump going to change the steering rack bushes to poly to reduce movement in the rack and help accuracy, I may also play around with tyre pressures maybe a combination of these things can make a difference.
seanyb

Postby chiroman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:41 pm

I run the front tyre pressures up 2psi from std which helps a little.

I had the Whiteline ALK fitted a few yrs ago by Zak at Mocom racing which gives a tiny bit more caster, about 1/2degree IIRC, although I didn't notice any benefit from this.

The ALK also lets the front suspension work easier, so maybe this makes the car feel a bit soggier on the steering.

This worth a read: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/articl ... _ALK_a.pdf

Although its an Anti Lift Kit it makes suspension softer not harder.

Like you I became dissatisfied with the woolly steering and thought I would probably need polybushes, a spec C rack and bottom control arms but then realised coilovers would could be the answer. However I decided to live with it which seems to have worked ok.

Mike
chiroman

Postby seanyb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Well fitted the pump today and have to say the car is transformed!! steering is light and very precise, I took it for a spin on the back roads in the wet and the car was a dream better than it had been in the dry so well chuffed, still going to change the rack bushes though, as they say in Tesco every little helps!!
seanyb

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

tried scoobynet?
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Return to Wanted