Login    Register

Pair of rear OEM shocks, 34K miles

Post your stuff for sale here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Pair of rear OEM shocks, 34K miles

Postby swiss tone » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:21 pm

I had a creak from my back end (not from a curry though) and thought it was one of the shocks on the way out as read it's pretty common.
As meant to change both of them, I changed the pair at great expense and guess what, the creak is still there and now think it's one of the bearings.

Anyway, the car has only done 34K and these are the original shocks/struts so they would make a great replacement to a high milage car that has started to knock.

Make me an offer! I can take a pic if required.
swiss tone

Re: Pair of rear OEM shocks, 34K miles

Postby Megaman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm

With regards to the squeak I had something similar a few years ago and found it to be the boot adjustment system. My local dealer sorted it after selling me a pair of rear struts lol
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby swiss tone » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi Megaman!

Boot adjustment system? Not something I have thought of! can you tell me more info about where to look? Do you mean the big hinges holding the boot lid? Worth a try I guess as was giving up!

I would say more of a creak than a squeak if that makes sence, I was sure it was something the spring was doing but the shock has been undone again to make sure the spring is seated correctly at the stop ends and the top rubber cup greased. I have WD'd everything in sight with reagard to bushes and bearings and it still does it! Only really when the car 'YAWs' and transfer of weight or that wheel going over a speed bump.

Cheers for any help!
swiss tone

Postby Gary75 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Have you checked Anti roll bar links, rear arb bushes or polybushs if fitted? Arb links can make a creaking noise as you describe when worn.
Gary75

Postby swiss tone » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:11 am

Hi Gary,
I am a fussy b*gger arn't I but we like it right eh!

I can't seem to emulate the noise when stationary so difficult to pinpoint. I sprayed the ARB rubber bushes with WD but didn't make a difference. When you say ARB links, do you meant at the ends? I jacked the car up at the affected corner and have been lowering it down slowly to try and hear where it's coming from but still puzzled, it must be doing it when the wheel is actually going upwards which takes greater pressure.
When I lower it from jacked at one corner, the chassis groans a bit but it's not that sort of noise.

There is a big main bearing holding the wishbone/arm just forward of the rear wheel isn't there and wondered if it's that?

I think I'm going to lay in the boot and get the missis to drive round so i can listen closer (try explaining that if get stopped by the fuzz! be a funny sketch if i put a plastic sheet and some gaffa tape in with me and see her trying to explain that one! :toofunny: )

I have just got my geometry set up right now so don't want to change anything hat will upset that though.

Cheers
swiss tone

Postby WR1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

Buddy thats the highest level of comitment I have ever heard of. Its brilliant. Just you be sure she remembers to let you out. To achieve top marks you would however be suspended from the rear wing, at speed, in the dark. Hope you track it down.
Prodrive - RaceDynamix 346 bhp - WhiteLine - AP Racing - Milltek - Cosworth
WR1

Postby Gary75 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Yes they are the end links attached to the roll bar. There are ball joints on each end which contain grease, if this leaks or drys out due to rubbers perishing or damaged / general ware and tear can cause your symptons.

Changing the arb links won't upset the geometry.
Gary75

Postby swiss tone » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am

Cheers for that Gary, I will look at that then!
swiss tone

Postby swiss tone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Finally got round to ordering an ARB drop link part number 20470SA011 if any help to anyone. May fit this w/e and see if it stops the annoying creak!
swiss tone

Postby Gary75 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 pm

swiss tone wrote:Finally got round to ordering an ARB drop link part number 20470SA011 if any help to anyone. May fit this w/e and see if it stops the annoying creak!

If the originals are still in place, give the nuts a good soaking in some freeing oil, buggers to get off if seized, mine were easier to remove by cutting the nuts off. Give the new links threads a good grease before fitting.
Gary75

Postby Super si » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 pm

How much for shocks bud?
Super si

Postby swiss tone » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Super Si,
Just noticed your post! Not had time to advertise them yet but still got them. There is nohing wrong with them and been a bit of an expensive 'guess' that hasn't paid off!

£80 for the pair would be fair I think. How does that sound? I can look into postage if you arn't that near.

Cheers
swiss tone

Postby swiss tone » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:40 am

Sold :D
swiss tone

Return to For Sale