Login    Register

Hi

Say Hi and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Hi

Postby mpr » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:38 pm

I'm not even a scooby owner yet! But will be soon. Currently driving a clio 172 (stop laughing). Its been a cracking car (and bloody cheap to run - 38 mpg week in, week out!). Luckily, it wont be going far as I'm going to sell it to my ma.

Anyway, back to the point. I've been thinking about getting a scooby for a couple of years, but there were always other things that needed the cash (house,kid,etc). Now I've got everything else sorted its time.

I've got up to 30k to spend so the wr1 is obviously a contender. The only other option is an STI (WRX is just not worth the effort IMHO). To that end I went for a blast in a standard 53 plate STI yesterday. I was fairly impressed, but couldnt help feeling that while it felt fast, it didn't make me think it was TOO fast. The STI just felt so planted that I thought that within a week I'd be wanting more....

The salesman said that his boss's STI PPP with the PF7 alloys (53 plate with 8k on the clock) was up for 24k and that I should consider that (is that a reasonable price by the way?).

So I'm gonna ring the insurance tossers tomorrow and see what they say about the PPP. My previous insurers didnt want to know, but I'll give my new lot a try. If the insurance is reasonable I will be sorely tempted to go the PPP route and keep 6k back.... unless you lot convice me otherwise ;-)

Christ, I went on a bit there didn't I ;-)
mpr

Postby jaycee » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi mate and welcome!

STI with ppp is a more than capable car, but the WR1 just edges it with the extra bhp and dccd.

If you're interested in the dealers car, I'd start at
jaycee

Postby jaycee » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:50 pm

Forgot to say, try Liverpool and Victoria for insurance. Very helpful.

Jason
jaycee

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:13 pm

If you can spend 30K and want the best out of the box.. it has to be the WR1

By the time you mess about with the Sti with the PPP and other bits, its still a STi at the end of the day.

Go the extra and go for the WR1, it turns more heads and provides great conversation to your friends who are always saying,
"thats a special colour isnt it ? "
" havent seen one that colour before"
" is it a special model " :)

Brian
Brian

Postby jaycee » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:02 pm

Brian wrote:
"thats a special colour isnt it ? "
" havent seen one that colour before"
" is it a special model " :)

Brian

LOL @ "special colour" that's one way of describing it!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Jason
jaycee

Postby Cold Turkey » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:57 pm

jaycee wrote:LOL @ "special colour" that's one way of describing it!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Jason

and don't forget that only 'special' people can drive them :wink: :shock:
Cold Turkey

Postby jaycee » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:23 pm

Cold Turkey wrote:and don't forget that only 'special' people can drive them :wink: :shock:

Wearing special shoes no doubt!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jaycee

Postby Cold Turkey » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:41 pm

jaycee wrote:
Cold Turkey wrote:and don't forget that only 'special' people can drive them :wink: :shock:

Wearing special shoes no doubt!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah those corrective shoes make my right foot a bit heavy :wink:
Cold Turkey

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:35 pm

LOL ill remeber the Special People and Special shoes line to my friends :) ;)

Friend- " Isnt that a special colour"

Me - " Yes its a one off WR1 - in Ice Blue "

Friend " I love the colour"

Me - " Yes its a special colour for Special People "

Friend - Walks off ! LOL !!
Brian

Postby JWS » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:06 pm

Hi mate my advice is spend the 30k firstly,the old sti's are good but youve got the new model now and 24k is ott.
So 26k gets you a standard sti 2k gets you the ppp and another 2k gets you the 18" wheels and youve got a car which will make sure you never think about your old 172 again.
Or you can buy a wr1 which has all the above in a "special colour" and is also obviously a limited edition with all the wr1 features + the extra 20Bhp.
Tough decision glad i didnt have to choose between a fully loaded 2005 sti ppp and my wr1 :D
JWS

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:21 pm

would be a different story if the new Sti came with the new 2.5 enging though.

Havent seen any tech specs for the 2.5 engine but im sure its in the 05 JDM rides ?
Brian

Postby jaycee » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:23 pm

I thought it was U.S. market only Brian.
Could be wrong. Rumour has it the UK will get the 2.5 in the all new Impreza due in 2006/7.

Jason
jaycee

Postby mpr » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:50 pm

Update:

Thanks for the welcomes :-)

The insurance has suddenly seen sense! They reckon 250 to change from the clio to the STIPPP (11 months still to run) or 350 for the WR1. I hassled the guy to double check that the STI Prodrive on his screen was a 2003 model and that he was sure it was the 305 bhp version (rang the underwriters apparently) . Maybe priviledge are up to speed a bit more than your average insurance muppets after all.

L&V are out by the way cus I'm 28 - and to be honest I wouldn't trust anyone who doesnt load for mods - thats just plain daft, and will come unstuck one day - Just my opinion before I get a rocket ;-)

Anyway I got the PPP price wrong - its up for 23k and I'm gonna go to a max of 21k and they can take it leave it. If I can get it for that then it looks like I wont be joining the esteemed ranks of the WR1 owners after all :-( 9k in the arse pocket is a big draw when you're as tight as I am ;-)

But you never know, my shares are on the up and I might end up making a few more quid before I get to cash em in!
mpr

Postby Millie » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:42 pm

Welcome to the site mpr.

I have had both like a few guys on here, but that sort of saving makes a difference when making your choice.

Check Subaru Insured, they use Grouparma, they pre rate the car and my WR1 costs
Millie

Return to New-comers say Hi