Login    Register

Hi

Say Hi and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Hi

Postby carl1978 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi guys I currently have a nissan 350z but have been looking at getting a WR1. I'm using the 350 as my daily commute from cardiff to bristol its about £75 to fill and does about 340 miles if im driving carefull. I probably do about 600 miles a week. im just after some information on wether the car will be ok to use daily, what sort of costs will be involved (fuel & servicing). how the car compares to the 350. Ive had the 350 for 12 months now and am just after something with a bit more power. also is there anything i should be looking out for on the WR1's when test driving them.
Thanks
carl1978

Postby Thomo no 11 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:42 pm

600miles a week wr1 :idea: :rofl:

sorry mate lost myself for a minute there, on a serious note if your looking for more power well done you"ve come to right place.

fuel you"ll be getting bout 200m to a tank ish! if you drive carefully you"l get 250-280 but id suggest getting a different car coz your be driving like a granny to get those results.

servicing isnt to bad considering what performance your getting, £70-£100 for every 5000m oil, filter service & ranges between £150- £400 for every 1000m service depending on what mileage you got. prices obviously vary depending where you go but this is the prices where i live in gloucestershire.

iv drove the 350z & theres no comparison the wr1 is in a different league but then their not the same type of car, the 350z is a cruiser as the wr1 is a road legal rally car.

if you take 1 out for a test drive really all you have to be aware of is the rear shocks, push down on the rear end if you can hear any knocking there shot! & staying on the rear shocks have a smell bcoz if you can smell wd40 e.c.t there covering up broken shocks it does work & it is a temporary fix.
engine is bullet proof from what i know of, dont know if any1 else has issues?
Thomo no 11

Postby John Mc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Agree with Thomo, driving the WR1 is not an economical experience, it doesn't matter how you drive it.. the economy is pretty awful!! (But the performance is worth it!).

Rear shocks are the main one to watch out for, get it up on the ramps and just check condition of exhaust for rust etc and also check for any leaks around the gearbox.... engine and running gear is mostly bulletproof but worth a check coz expensive if they have been knocked or badly abused!! Check tyres for wear, full geometry setup isn't too expensive but a full set of tyres ain't too cheap!! check Full Service History... doesn't have to be a main dealer, some good independants around, if you see a stamp you are unsure of, just ask on here I'm sure someone will know of them or knows someone who does!!

Mega drives his daily... any advice Martin??
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby M9JOC » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:00 am

[quote="Thomo no 11"]
fuel you"ll be getting bout 200m to a tank ish! if you drive carefully you"l get 250-280 but id suggest getting a different car coz your be driving like a granny to get those results.
quote]

realistically 200 miles if you drive off the turbo, i average 160 for 55quid Tesco 99RON.
600 miles a week i would buy an M3 lad, same kind of speed but comfort and less harsh on the fuel - kind of :D
98 DC2 Integra type R
00 Audi TT 180 Coupe
03 DC5 Integra typeR
02 Alfa spider V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT 225 roadster
02 Porsche Boxster S
06 porsche Cayman
04 Subaru Impreza STi WR1
Now:
07 BMW Z4M
M9JOC

Postby carl1978 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 am

cheers guys thanks for all the advice im going to take one for a test drive and see how hooked i get. Ill try the M3 as well i just want to get something with a bit more more power now
carl1978

Postby John Mc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:20 am

carl1978 wrote:cheers guys thanks for all the advice im going to take one for a test drive and see how hooked i get. Ill try the M3 as well i just want to get something with a bit more more power now

Having more power is one thing... how it gets put down is another...

The M3 is a bit of a pig in the wet, I had one before the WR1 and hated driving hard in the wet because you just couldn't get all the power down safely, great fun in the dry though.

The WR1 is a different animal, not as comfy but handling is awesome.
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Return to New-comers say Hi