Login    Register

Detailed an F1 car...(Seriously!)

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Detailed an F1 car...(Seriously!)

Postby Clark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 am

This detail was carried out over 2 years ago now but due to us wanting to wait and get final pictures of the car in the Client's new house (which was being built at the time) and then me completely forgetting about it resulted in it being delayed until now :)

When I got the call from the Client saying he was standing watching his new Jordan being delivered off a trailer I initially wondered what he was buying a Honda Civic for, thinking he meant one of these...

But no, what he meant was one of these!

Taken from the website it was bought from:

"2001 JORDAN - EJ 11 - CHASSIS NO: EJ 11 / 6

This car, one of only seven built. It is a genuine race car and NOT a display car. It has been in a private collection for many years.

It will be sold as a rolling chassis, without engine, gearbox internals and wiring loom.
All works Honda engines were returned to the factory at the end of the season.

It could be adapted to race (Euro Boss Series etc) or used as a static display/ show car.

This car is fitted with Titanium Fabricated uprights, Brembo Carbon brakes and calipers, radiators, wishbones and Jordan chassis plate. The seat is molded for Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

EJ 11 cars were raced by Heinz–Harald Frentzen,( who was replaced half way through the 2001 season by Juan Alesi) and by Jarno Truli. The test driver was Ricardo Zonta.

Quite a nice showpiece for your new garage I'm sure you'll agree :doublesho

Whilst the site of an F1 car in your garage looks amazing, the Client wanted it to look its best but at the same time retain its battle scars and sign of racing so with this in mind I got to work...

A few before pictures to begin with, showing a low level of dirt and dust:

I gave the car a thorough QD to clean all the surfaces up and then took some paint readings just to make sure there was actually enough paint to polish in the first place:

Starting with a finishing pad and some Menzerna 85RD (basically one of the least aggressive combinations available) I started polishing at 1200/1500rpms:

I was hoping for a slight improvement but due to the paint being super soft the correction achieved was pretty damn good to be fair and removal was 1-2 microns if that (many times the gauge didn't give different readings before and after polishing at all):

ImageImage

With the polishing method and products settled on, I began to carefully work my way round the car, being extra careful of where I put my feet as it could be so easy to stand on or catch the front wing or diffuser etc - it felt like an extremely fragile thing to work on so concentration was 100% at all times!

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Carbon Weave showing through the paint:

Checking the finish with the 3M Sun Gun:

I had alot more process pictures taken but due to a laptop meltdown last year I lost alot of pictures but to be honest I'm just glad I still have as many as I do!

Once Polishing was done the paintwork was given a coat of Swissvax Crystal Rock:

The wheels were given a going over with Werkstat Prime Strong:

And then fast forward 2 years to this afternoon where I took some final pictures of the car sat in its new surroundings - you'll notice the different garage lighting really shows off the true colour of the car, it's more of a fluorescent yellow that you never really saw even on the Television or in many magazine pictures:

Ingrained dirt left intentionally on the rear wing:

Cockpit left as it was delivered:

The rubbish masking that you don't see up close on TV :lol:

I hope you enjoyed something a bit different, it was certainly fun to do! :)

Thanks for looking,

Clark
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Re: Detailed an F1 car...(Seriously!)

Postby WR1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 am

Was this car on display at Brooklands?
Prodrive - RaceDynamix 346 bhp - WhiteLine - AP Racing - Milltek - Cosworth
WR1

Postby Clark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am

Nope, that was probably the one that gets hired for shows etc - as far as I'm aware it was never raced.
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby ktm jon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 am

fantastic hell of a car to put on ya c.v...............thanks for the pics
ktm jon

Return to Car Care