Login    Register

Focus RS500 #486...

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Focus RS500 #486...

Postby Clark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Well after months and months of waiting my Dads new car finally arrived :)

John and I went to inspect the car as soon as it arrived at the compound just outside of Aberdeen, you wait ages to see one and then two turn up at once :D

Can't say I was overly impressed at the level of "care" taken with either of the cars at this point, how hard is it to get in and out of a car without kicking the sills to bits?

The 500 behind my dad’s had similar greasy/oily marks to the one above including a massive hand print right in the middle of the bonnet. It looks like the bonnet will be getting re-wrapped as nothing was shifting it last time we spoke with the owner!

Few more pics to give you an idea of the condition of the car at this point:

And a quick note of the mileage in case anyone decided to take it further than the distance from the compound to the PDI centre:

Despite being filthy, both John and I were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the wrap. We've read so many horror stories about all the other 500's which maybe lead us to expect a lot worse but bar 2 tiny little imperfections the wrap was pretty damn good - definitely one of the lucky cars to pass through I think - I was just hoping this would still be the case once it was properly clean!

With everyone in sight instructed not to touch the car we'll fast forward a couple of days to where the car was left with us ready to be detailed just in time for our open day which was planned for the Saturday:

The "do not touch" instructions obviously fell on deaf ears as there were loads of new hand prints and finger marks all over the car :rolleyes:

Anyways, hoping that all these new marks wouldn't prove too difficult to remove the car was put outside and the detail began.

As I was busy working away on the 993 turbo during this week Alan did the majority of the work on the RS (nothing like pressure eh, my Dads car and a matt finish to work on! :D) all be it with me watching him like a hawk :lol:

Up first were the wheels, these were given a thorough pre rinse to get rid of the majority of the grime:

Then sprayed with Gloss-It Wheel Gel (4:1)...

...agitated with the various brushes...

...then rinsed off:

Arches and tyres were cleaned with APC:

...then thoroughly rinsed...

The engine bay was cleaned with APC also:

All the shuts and exterior trim were then cleaned but this time using a hot water and Swisswax Opaque Shampoo Mix as you don't really want to be using APC's or regular shampoos and snow foams on the exterior if you can help it:

Once they were done it was time to give the car a thorough rinse at a temperature of 50/60 degrees:

The car was then washed twice with a Lambs wool mitt, 2BM and Swisswax Opaque Shampoo. The vinyl seemed to hold onto a lot of the dirt first time round even after a good pre rinse so a second wash was necessary.

A few minor tar spots were taken care of with Autosmart Tardis before being rinsed off and put inside for a bit of claying on the painted parts:

The car was then dried off with the Black Baron drier, very handy for a car like this:

It was at this point I could get a really good look at the quality and condition of the wrap and luckily there was nothing too major to report - still a slight hint of a few oily marks but this was to be removed with the next stage which was the Swisswax Pre-Cleaner Opaque:

This was sprayed directly onto the vinyl and thoroughly worked with a Swisswax microfibre:

This made quite a noticeable difference already and fully removed any minor marks.

The Vinyl now ready to be protected (I think it should have been protected as soon as the car was wrapped in all honesty, this would have prevented a lot of problems for other 500 owners IMO) with Swisswax Opaque:

This was applied to a couple of panels at a time and then buffed off:

You can see the noticeable yet subtle difference this made to the appearance of the vinyl - giving a slightly more uniform look once given a final buff:

The car was given 2 coats of wax over the space of 12 hours or so :)

The wheels were first prepped with Swisswax Cleaner Fluid:

Then Swisswax Autobahn before being buffed off after 10/15 minutes:

Tyres dressed with Gloss-It Signature Tyre Gloss as I think really glossy tyres set the matt paintwork off more :)

I decided the silver wheel nuts didn't go with the rest of the car so I convinced Dad to let me paint them:

Much better :thumb:

The engine had earlier been dried with the Black Baron:

Then dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant:

Once the 303 had been left for an hour or two it was given a final wipe down to remove any excess product:

The gloss black parts were done with Cleaner Fluid then waxed with Best of Show:

Onto the interior now, the glass was cleaned with 3M Glass Cleaner:

Checking for smears with the Sun Gun:

Then a thorough hoover:

Then APC wipe down of all plastics:

Exterior glass was treated to Nanolex Premium, first up was the cleaner:

This was given a mist of water to help with removal:

Then the sealant was applied and buffed off:

And that was it pretty much ready to be put on display for our open day :)

However, Dad wasn't allowed to take it home yet as we weren't quite finished with it. Whilst the wrap was nice I decided it would be better to remove it completely!.....................

Only joking :p

I'd intended on getting the gloss parts machine polished as they had the usual buffer trails and scratches but we ran out of time during the week leading up to the open day so I got them done the following Saturday.

A few pics to show what I mean, every RS has this when new:

Before I could correct them the car had to be given a quick rinse off outside first as it had been rained on a couple of times during the open day and gathered a fine layer of dust etc.

A 50 degree rinse with the pressure washer revealed some pretty good beading :thumb:

The car was then dried off the Black Baron once again, now the vinyl and paint was properly protected this took no time at all :D

My Dad and Brother had arrived by this point so while I did the correction on the painted parts (no after pics so you'll just have to trust me they were done!) Dad removed the wheels to protect the inner rims/callipers etc while my Brother messed about with his camera:

However he didn't get off that easily so once he'd finished pretending he was Tim Wallace I got him to apply another coat of Autobahn to the faces of the wheels while I gave the car its 3rd and final coat of wax and wiped down the engine bay again to remove a few water spots:

Then onto some afters, some taken by my Brother and some by me with Rich's Camera :thumb:

And finally a couple of arty ones from my Brother:

Thanks for viewing :thumb:

Clark
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby Bonovox » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Amazing job as usual and an amazing looking car :thumb:
Bonovox

Postby John Mc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:49 pm

At the risk of getting my head stoved in by Bro.... that is fooking stunning mate! Love that matt wrap. Pity they didn't take more care prior to wrapping it :cry: Amazing outcome though.
John Mc

Postby zedder » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:06 pm

these rs 500s look well :D with the wrap a lot better than the total impreza car which somehow doesnt seem quite right :? !! how much r they from ford as theirs a few on pistonheads 4 40k just thinking someones cashing in!! :shock:
zedder

Postby danr55 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 pm

awesome! great car, and great work! Would be interested to know how your Dad finds it to the previous RS 8)
danr55
Site Owner

Return to Car Care