Login    Register

Invisible Touch Detailing - Morgan +8

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Invisible Touch Detailing - Morgan +8

Postby InvisibleTouchDetailing » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 am

Hi,

Here we have a rather stunning Morgan +8. I have to say i thoroughly enjoy working on the classics, there's just something about them and so much character :) Kitted out with alloy body and wings, in Rolls Royce Velvet Green, Green leather and carpets, and green wet weather gear (Simmonds mohair hood). The task was to perform a stage 1 service to bring some life and gloss back to the exterior and not full correction.

This was the car on arrival

First off was to remove the door trim and side windows to gain full access to the paintwork

The spare wheel was then released and removed

The wheel was sprayed in Bilberry, tyre in APC and then agitated with brushes

The inside of the wheels were than clayed

And then polished with Autosol

After buffing, all parts of the wheel were then polished with NXT

Finally sealed with 2 coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Next came a rather annoying part from my side. After carefully getting everything in position to raise the car and remove the wheels, i spent 1 1/2 hours on 1 nut and another hour on another trying to remove them using the tool and hammer provided by Morgan. It simply should not take this long. 3 or 4 taps on the tool should be enough to work the nut free and remove by hand. With a very limited space to use the hammer and not damage the wheels, i decided to contact the owner as they had been done up far too tight. It seems when the tyres had last been changed they were not done back up with the original tool and subsequently they were never going to be removed using the original kit. Due to the design of the tool, it sinks inside the wheels, so you could not even place a bar over it to get more leverage. I was disappointed but the owner was more than grateful for the call and we decided he would take them somewhere to be removed and pop them back to me at some point to be fully treated inside and out. So i continued with the outsides.

Polished and sealed

The car was then washed using Shampoo Plus and the 2 bucket method. No snow foaming or jetwash as the vehicle wasnt exactly water tight :) The taken inside to inspect the paint.

Paint readings were then taken, i had been pre-warned that the front grill had been resprayed. From measurements also blended into the surrounding areas

Using the Makita rotary and 3M polishing pad, i chose to try Meguiars Speed Glaze to test what the paint was like. As expected this made minimal impact, so i stepped up to Menzerna 106fa and used this for all the paintwork.

After machine polishing was complete, everything was wiped down with Top Inspection. For glazing, being single stage dark paint i chose to use...

Using a 'candle light' scenic option on the camera for a few shots, the colours were really coming out now as you can see

For waxing i applied 2 layers of Victoria Concourse

2 coats of Endurance tyre gel were applied

The vehicle was then taken outside for a few shots before the sun went down. Various tasks were still to be done, including metal polishing, i just wanted to catch the day light incase our British weather had different plans for the following day

Any exterior rubber trim was treated with Bumper Care

The area under the spare wheel was treated with 303

The interior was wiped down and hoovered
The roof and side door panels were dusted down using strips of 3M tape
Windows cleaned inside and out with Last Touch
All bumpers and exterior metalwork was polished with NXT

Finally the paintwork was treated with Zaino Z8

These were the final pictures

The owner was extremely pleased and to receive an email the following day saying how enjoyable his journey home had been, just topped this detail off for me :)

Thank you for looking

Christian
INVISIBLE TOUCH DETAILING
Automotive & Marine Detailing Treatments

Web: http://www.invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk
Email: christian@invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk
Phone: 07876 166 077
InvisibleTouchDetailing

Postby BIG"E" » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Quality. :thumb:
BIG"E"

Postby eck » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 am

Very nice indeed Sir
The WR1 be safe in the knowledge that, short of strapping yourself to an Acme rocket, there's no quicker way to get from A to B.
eck

Postby CAVEMAN » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:26 am

just awesome as ever....

can't believe the owner let it get into that state in the first place...such a classic.

for all your hard graft, I bet the best bit is actually getting to do the unveil to the owner at the end (and ofcourse pocketing the cash!!)...

bet they think you have swapped cars don't they??
CAVEMAN

Postby John Mc » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:11 am

Top job, mint car!!

Pity about the wheel nuts... what a ball ache!
John Mc

Postby InvisibleTouchDetailing » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 am

Cheers guys :)

Caveman, i do enjoy opening the garage knowing whats waiting for the owner inside yes :)

John, complete ball ache! I couldnt believe it. Wheels like that need to come off to be done on the inside and fully around the spokes. 2 1/2 hours total trying to remove 2 nuts was ridiculous, especially for them not to even budge a mm. Every other type of wheel like this i have done just needs 3 or 4 knocks then twisted by hand. At least the owner has realised this before getting a puncture at the side of the road and being stranded.
INVISIBLE TOUCH DETAILING
Automotive & Marine Detailing Treatments

Web: http://www.invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk
Email: christian@invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk
Phone: 07876 166 077
InvisibleTouchDetailing

Return to Car Care