Login    Register

993 Turbo X50...

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
993 Turbo X50...

Postby Clark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 am

This 993 belongs to my Dad and it's currently on a quarterly contract with us. It was brought in for its first treatment of the year in the form of a 2 day minor correction to spruce it up a wee bit.

The car is 1 of 11 in the UK to have the X50 Factory Upgrade (costing approx £7-8k) which gives an increase in power to 450bhp and 430lb-ft, 0-60 in 3.7 secs and a top speed of 192mph :driver:

This is the car on arrival, about as dirty as it gets in all honesty:

So on with the detail - up first was a pre-rinse of the wheels/tyres and arches:

Then Gloss-It Signature Wheel Gel was applied and agitated with the various wheel brushes:

This just left a few remaining tar spots which Autosmart Tardis removed:

The engine bay was done too but there's not a huge amount to look at on this one, just a massive intercooler!

The car was then foamed with R222 at 60 degrees and left for a few minutes:

Then thoroughly rinsed off at high pressure:

All exterior trims and badges etc were then cleaned with Raceglaze detailing brushes and Meguiars APC...

...Then washed with Meguiars Shampoo Plus and the 2BM:

Tardis was used again for some minor tar spots on the paintwork:

The car was then put inside and clayed with Meguiars Mild, not much contamination present though:

One final rinse followed, this time using filtered water through an open ended hosepipe:

I then dried the majority of the car with a PB Luxury Drying Towel and then used the Black Baron to blast out any remaining water in the panel gaps etc:

The car was last machine polished approx 2 1/2 years ago and was still 95% perfect in most places, although there were a few places needing some light correction:

After 203S on a Lake Country Polishing Pad @ 1500rpms:

The near side rear quarter had picked up a couple of deeper marks (these didnt really show up too well on camera) which needed Menzerna 3.02 to remove,again with a LC polishing pad but this time at 1800-200rpms:

203S was used with a Lake Country spot pad on the rear reflector to remove some marring:

Before:

After:

Meguiars 205 was used on the paint protection film on the rear aches to remove a bit of "yellowing":

In between the machine work I'd painted the wheel nuts too which had picked up a few chips and scuffs during servicing work carried out at the dealership:

Once the correction work was complete I gave the car a dust down with the Lambswool Duster...

...Then a thorough IPA wipe down...

This was then followed by an application of Werkstat Prime Acrylic...

Once the Prime was buffed off I applied Project Awesome with the DA machine and left for an hour or so with the heater on in the studio:

Whilst the Project Awesome was curing I took the headlights out and seperated them in order to remove a thin layer of dirt...

They were cleaned up with some Werkstat Prime Strong and the chrome pieces were given an IPA wipe down before being put back together and re-fitted:

The rear turbo badge had some staining round the edges, most probably from the exhausts, so I gave them a clean with some Menzerna FPII and a cotton bud:

The wheels were sealed with 2 coats of Blackfire Metal Sealant (approx 12 hours between coats)...

...and the tyres dressed with Gloss-It Signature Tyre Gloss:

I used a cocktail stick to remove some traces of product residue in the centre caps:

Once all the other little jobs were done and the final wipe down was complete, the car was tucked away in the studio ready for the arrival of the genius that is Mr Tim Wallace of Ambient Life ( http://www.ambientlife.co.uk )

Tim spent 2 full days with us photographing the 993 and a black 997 Turbo and here are just a few of the ones he took of the 993. More will follow shortly of both cars in a blog post on our website so this is all I'm allowed to show at the moment :D

Hope you like, I'm sure you'll agree they are rather good - more to come from the PB & Ambient Life team in the near future :thumb:

We used my Dads car for demonstration purposes at one of the local car shows the following week and as a result of the attention it recieved, one of the major newspapers up here asked if they could do an article - we were only too happy to say yes and here's a link for those that want to have a read :)

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/pj260510.pdf

As always, many thanks for looking :thumb:

Clark
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby John Mc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Amazing mate. Awesome car too :lol:
John Mc

Postby Thomo no 11 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:41 pm

top work Clark love the car :thumb:
Thomo no 11

Postby M9JOC » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Beautiful mate, and my favourite Porsche of all time!!!!!
98 DC2 Integra type R
00 Audi TT 180 Coupe
03 DC5 Integra typeR
02 Alfa spider V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT 225 roadster
02 Porsche Boxster S
06 porsche Cayman
04 Subaru Impreza STi WR1
Now:
07 BMW Z4M
M9JOC