Login    Register

Help with cleaning products please

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Help with cleaning products please

Postby Crockel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 pm

I keep looking at all these fantastically cleaned cars and keep thinking its time to get some proper products rather than just a Halfords £2.99 polish and duster pack.

I realise its takes time, effort and a fair degree of skill to get a proper decent finish but what products do I need to make up a basic cleaning set? (i.e. what cleaner,polish/wax, clay bar, treatment for the wheels, windows, etc).

Recommendations greatly appreciated.

L
Crockel

Postby M9JOC » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Polished bliss website will tell you everything about how to do it and you can buy everything you need plus it explains the different products to achieve the desired effect.

Get on it :D
98 DC2 Integra type R
00 Audi TT 180 Coupe
03 DC5 Integra typeR
02 Alfa spider V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT 225 roadster
02 Porsche Boxster S
06 porsche Cayman
04 Subaru Impreza STi WR1
Now:
07 BMW Z4M
M9JOC

Postby Shane » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 am

You can't really go far wrong with good old Autoglym to be honest. It's decent stuff, easy to use and all car cleaning chemicals are 3 for 2 at Halfords at the moment.

Stuff I recommend/use:

AG Shampoo
AG Super Resin Polish
AG Glass Polish
AG Bumper Care - good for bringing the black back to plastic trim, can also be used on tyre sidewalls but I haven't tried it yet.
AG Custom Wheel Cleaner (acid free, you don't really want an acid wheel cleaner)
Shane

Postby Chris B » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:48 am

Unless you are going for very high end products,one of the best to use on the WR1 is Jeffs Werstatt which is a sealant not a wax,you can buy the kit for approx £50 from Clark at Polished Bliss,and Clark uses this himself so that says it all.
Heaven can wait....I'm playing with my scooby.
Chris B

Postby Crockel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. I have looked at the Polished Bliss web site but there are tonnes of items and I am not sure where to start!

Basically I would like to get something that helps remove tar spots and other crap stuck to the paintwork, something than will help remove very light surface scrathches and marks, something which protects the paintwork when I have finished the above and something for cleaning the brake dust and other horrible bits off the wheels but isn't too brutal.

:wink:

Lee
Crockel

Postby John Mc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Crockel wrote:Thanks for the comments so far. I have looked at the Polished Bliss web site but there are tonnes of items and I am not sure where to start!

Basically I would like to get something that helps remove tar spots and other crap stuck to the paintwork, something than will help remove very light surface scrathches and marks, something which protects the paintwork when I have finished the above and something for cleaning the brake dust and other horrible bits off the wheels but isn't too brutal.

Lee

Try claying Lee, I tried it for the first time last summer and once you see the finish you get, you'll be amazed.

Sealant is excellent for the light blue colour car, I got the Jeffs acrylic set from Polished Bliss... you get the right cloths for application and it really is very easy, just take your time when doing it!!

Also, use the 2 bucket method too, even if your car looks clean, you'll see a lot of dirt comeoff using the 2 bucket instead of 1 bucket when you are basically putting the dirt back on!!
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Why not just pay some local polish folk a fiver to spend a day or two blitzing it?
:lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby MY498 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Yeah I get confused with the sheer numbers of polishes, waxes, sealants and other products out there :oops:

Maybe Clark / Polished Bliss could put a deal together for those of us who dont mind putting the time and effort in on cleaning but dont really know where to start :(

I could do with something to treat a few light swirls and then give the car a gleaming shine ready for summer :D
MY498

Postby Crockel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I will PM Clark!

Lee
Crockel

Postby Shane » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Crockel wrote:Thanks for the comments so far. I have looked at the Polished Bliss web site but there are tonnes of items and I am not sure where to start!

Lee

Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover is good for getting rid of tar

If you'd like a wax to protect the paint when you've finished try some Dodo Juice like I did here: forum/viewtopic.php?t=12162

Dodo Juice makes some awesome stuff, smells great and I love their take on car cleaning :D

http://www.dodojuice.com/index.html
Shane

Postby chiroman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 am

Have a read through this it's a great help. http://wr1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
I use the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic system now after using Meguiars for years and its a great product.
chiroman

Postby Clark » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Shane wrote:

Lee

Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover is good for getting rid of tar

If you'd like a wax to protect the paint when you've finished try some Dodo Juice like I did here: forum/viewtopic.php?t=12162

Dodo Juice makes some awesome stuff, smells great and I love their take on car cleaning :D

http://www.dodojuice.com/index.html

If you want a really good Tar remover then Autosmart's Tardis is the one - it blows AG's one and pretty much everything else out the water 8)
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Return to Car Care