Login    Register

FAO Clark and the 'Power Rangers'

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
FAO Clark and the 'Power Rangers'

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 am

OK, not strictly 4 wheel related, but still need advice on some cleaning/protection tips.

A mate of mine has just bought the new Aprillia RSV4 'Factory' Edition - fooking gorgeous!!

Anyways, as all the panels are from Carbon Fibre and most of metal bits are magnesium (wheels, engine casing etc..) I was wondering what products could be used over the winter for protection/sealing and in summer to keep it looking as it does right now....amazing!

Can he just use the same old stuff as we do - or as the base materials are different there are special stuff for these available?

Cheers everybody!

http://www.rsv4aprilia.com/#/en/rsv4-factory/facFoto/
CAVEMAN

Postby Clark » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:21 pm

That link didnt work for me? What colour are his wheels and are they painted or in a matt finish etc?

For any metal or magnesium parts that are unpainted then Blackfire Metal Sealant is very good for these, if you can answer my question about the wheels then I can comment on those too.

For carbon fibre, if it's pre-preg stuff then an all in one chemical cleanser/protectant like Werkstat Prime Strong is ideal. If it's clear coated then the Werkstat will work fine on this too as will any other sealant or wax that you would use on paintwork :)
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Cheers matey...the wheels are matt black and the engine casing in raw magnesium.

As for the panels, some are bare carbon, others are painted.

thanks again.
CAVEMAN

Postby Clark » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 pm

right, for matt black it's a tricky one as 99% of sealants and waxes will add some degree of gloss or turn the finish white over time - Werkstat Acrylic Jett is the only product I would be confident of using on it without doing either of the above as it's fine for window rubbers/black exterior trim etc, but I would test a small area first :)

Any bare metal and magnesium etc, Blackfire Metal Sealant would be my choice - I use this on my wheels and exhaust system and the durability and heat resistance is very good 8)
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Return to Car Care