Login    Register

Autoglym products...

Share your car cleaning and general car care tips with everyone in here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Autoglym products...

Postby MaverickUK82 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:32 pm

I know you guys use meguirs. But i've bought autoglym products today as they're 3 for 2 at halfords. Must have bought most of the range. Ironically, i didn't get the bird shit remover, and got half a mile down the road and a seagull carpet bombed the car from front to back...

Anyways. Does anyone know if the autoglym super resin polish is abrasive at all?

To be absolutely honest, i've never actually done a good job on cleaning a car by hand. I don't ever want to resort to letting the IMO do it.

I was wondering if maybe Clark or any of you other guys would be willing to do a quick guide to cleaning... I read Clarks WR1 detailing guide which was very good. But, I don't really want to start shaving the paint of... Just a great clean, polish and gloss would be great...
MaverickUK82

Postby 500tie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 am

I use the Autoglym stuff aswell and to be honest it is just as good as the maguires if used correctly.
The super resin polish is slightly abrasive but not so much that you would really notice unless you keep rubbing in the same spot for a stupidly long time.
I find if you give the car a good clean then a coat of super resin then wash it again and follow all that with a coat of the gloss protector youl end up with a pretty good finish.
Sooty,
Needs a WR1 now his WRX300 is sold
Or a spec D
500tie

Postby POESY » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 am

I did exactly the same yesterday - 3 for 2, cant beat it :D

Gave me Punto a proper wash and then used the super resin polish and its come up superb - very pleased, that car only gets washed 2/3 times per year and today its gleaming 8) Wont last though :(
POESY

Postby MaverickUK82 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:59 am

Yeah. I've got Shampoo Conditioner (green label), Super Resin Polish (red label) and the Gloss Coat (gold label).

Is the Resin Polish suitable for removing light scratches? Or should I gently use T-Cut? There's a couple of feint scratches (but scratches nonetheless) all along the side of my WR1. I never noticed them before last night.
MaverickUK82

Postby POESY » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:07 am

Id try the polish first fella - worked wonders on my car, removed lots of little scratches and bits of tar. Very impressed. Just gotta do the megane now!!
POESY

Postby Clark » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 am

The SRP has enough cut in it to remove more paint that you'd think (the paint on our cars is soft and pretty thin) especially if you're continually polishing the car.

What you want to do is, wash, clay, polish then protect with a decent wax or sealant - that way you are maintaining the finish and protection and not continually removing paint every week etc.

For more info check out this:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... e-faq.html

I'd recommend getting yourself over to detailingworld.co.uk too, this will really open your eyes when it comes to cleaning your car :wink:

I should be getting my WR1 detailed again next weekend so I'll post up a new write up for it :D
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby Clark » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:02 am

500tie wrote:I use the Autoglym stuff aswell and to be honest it is just as good as the maguires if used correctly.
The super resin polish is slightly abrasive but not so much that you would really notice unless you keep rubbing in the same spot for a stupidly long time.
I find if you give the car a good clean then a coat of super resin then wash it again and follow all that with a coat of the gloss protector youl end up with a pretty good finish.

Why do you wash it again after SRP? Thats an extra step you really dont need to do mate...
Clark

Postby 500tie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:10 pm

The only reason i wash it in between is to get rid of the dust thats allways left behind, ive changed now to using the autoglym deep shine that seems to do both jobs makes the dark blue really stand out!
Sooty,
Or a spec D
500tie

Postby Clark » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:14 pm

If you're getting dust you're using far too much :wink:

Once worked into the paint, SRP should barely be visible on the paintwork :D
Clark

Postby 500tie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:45 pm

In that case im definatly using far too much, what would you sujest the best thing to apply the polish is mate.

At present im using just soft cloths, i used to use a sponge but cant seem to find the right type now as obviously i dont want a both one.
Sooty,
Or a spec D
500tie

Return to Car Care