Login    Register

OMG.....it's the type 25

Post pictures of your car and tell us the spec. It doesn't have to be a WR1!

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 pm

It's really weird, all these guys who have money to spend, always try to get more bhp.

I've never seen anyone actually going fancy on getting the weight down (which will also improve handling and braking)...

If I'd had the money, I'd probably have a reasonable amount of power, but I'd probably spend money on getting a rallyspec suspension (like Proflex or Reiger) and a proper gearbox-clutch.

That being said... If I had the money (and time), I'd probably run a normal rallycar and get my kick in the competition while I'd be driving a more normal car in real life.
The Swede

Postby marky mark » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:28 pm

Torrekens wrote:It's really weird, all these guys who have money to spend, always try to get more bhp.

I've never seen anyone actually going fancy on getting the weight down (which will also improve handling and braking)...

If I'd had the money, I'd probably have a reasonable amount of power, but I'd probably spend money on getting a rallyspec suspension (like Proflex or Reiger) and a proper gearbox-clutch.

That being said... If I had the money (and time), I'd probably run a normal rallycar and get my kick in the competition while I'd be driving a more normal car in real life.

You are not looking hard enough Swede! Lots of people strip out the cars. obviously there is a noise/practicality issue if its a daily driver though. Dont think my daughter will appreciate having all the floor pan deadening and door cards etc. removed

Plenty of people use lightwieght wheels, and brakes as this is where big handling advantages are to be had by reducing unsprung wieght.

Why would you want rallyspec suspension on a road car?????? i think you mean a set of quality road/circuit based coilovers? Again, too uncompromising for a road car.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:20 pm

marky mark wrote:You are not looking hard enough Swede! Lots of people strip out the cars. obviously there is a noise/practicality issue if its a daily driver though. Dont think my daughter will appreciate having all the floor pan deadening and door cards etc. removed

:lol:

My son doesn't see any issue at all. The more the thing sounds like a rallycar, the more he likes it. I take it your girl is not an enthusiast like Hannu then ? :(

marky mark wrote:Why would you want rallyspec suspension on a road car?????? i think you mean a set of quality road/circuit based coilovers? Again, too uncompromising for a road car.

I think this is where we got a difference in phylosophy. I really do not see the point of buying a turbocharged 4WD for use on smooth tarmac and tracks.
If you meet me on normal roads, I am driving miss Daisy. No point risking my driving licence and no glory to be gained racing the other posers.
Meet me on a small and bumpy forest or country road, and I'm probably nailing it.

And the suspensions on the scoob (and Evo) are just too hard to go flat out on bumpy roads. The wheels jump up too much. Getting a circuit set-up is the worse of my nightmares. A set of Proflexes with better travel and rebound would be my choice.

Just draw one comparison: rallies in Belgium are known to be very tough as they are on very bumpy tarmac or concrete roads with constantly changing conditions/underground. About every factory car that arrives there first needs a serious retune as they arrive as 'tarmac-spec' cars which is far too hard for those roads. The cars are just uncontrolleable. Solution is always fit suspensions that are more 'gravel-spec'-like.
The Swede

Postby marky mark » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:56 pm

See where you are coming from - there is a big difference between a tarmac rally spec set up and really long travel forest stuff etc...which is what i thought you were talking about when you mentioned rally spec.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:09 pm

marky mark wrote:See where you are coming from - there is a big difference between a tarmac rally spec set up and really long travel forest stuff etc...which is what i thought you were talking about when you mentioned rally spec.

True. Most countries have a serious difference. The UK for instance and France have very smooth tarmac. You really have to find very small roads in between the fields to find bad surfaces. It's nothing compared to the bloody country roads in Belgium or Finland.

I personally quite like that kind of roads where:
1. Your passengers are really wondering "sure he's not gonna keep his foot down throught that corner"...
2. You know that if you hit the correct line (and the correct side of the road camber), you'll fly through the corner. But if you miss it, you better hit the brakes hard otherwise you WILL do a Wheatie.

For those bumpy roads, the rallycars always get higher and softer suspension.
Such suspension is also ideal for icy roads :wink:

In fact, the eternal question is if a 4WD is actually of any use on smooth tarmac. It's been proven in competition several times that if the WRC cars didn't have that big turbo, the (mainly French) FWD rockets with proper front diffs were as fast on tarmac.
Which questions whether if you are in for hard trackday use, you should actually run a scoob or Evo at all or you should have an Elise (or a focussed M3 if you want a family car).
The Swede

Postby POESY » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Fantastic piece of kit fraser - much, much nicer in the flesh. The pics just dont do it justice.

Question is - how long until adam orders number 15 :lol:
POESY

Postby LEE_RB5 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:41 pm

POESY wrote:Fantastic piece of kit fraser - much, much nicer in the flesh. The pics just dont do it justice.

About 15 minutes.....

See this car at the weekend and it sounded awsome and it was only at 4rpm!!!!

Looks the mutts nutts as well matey :D
LEE_RB5

Postby Houdini » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:23 pm

LEE_RB5 wrote:
POESY wrote:Fantastic piece of kit fraser - much, much nicer in the flesh. The pics just dont do it justice.

About 15 minutes.....

See this car at the weekend and it sounded awsome and it was only at 4rpm!!!!

Looks the mutts nutts as well matey :D

Thanks, guys. Nicely run in now :D :D and the sound is really good. Dyno'd yesterday and turned 417BHP and 442 lb ft of torque :shock: :shock: :shock: On the road there is a bit of torque steer and I would prefer different tyres, but fook me, it's quick!! :wow:
Houdini

Postby The Swede » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Houdini wrote: On the road there is a bit of torque steer and I would prefer different tyres, but fook me, it's quick!! :wow:

I had torque steer when the diffs locked on the scoob (only noticed on ice but with your power you probably will also notice it on tarmac).

Try playing with the diff and see if it makes any difference.

Tyres should not really play any role in that.
The Swede

Postby Houdini » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks, Prof. I'll give that a go :thumb: .
Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Tyres not so good for handling, Sandy. Prefer Pirelli's.
Houdini

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:41 pm

Fraser while clearing out some old Jap Perv, Banshee,Jap tunes :lol:
I came across the "EVO" mag that has your TYPE 25 :D

You know the one when its up againts the Spec C, P1, WR1

would you like to have it or shall i bin it along with the other mags :wink:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Houdini » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:54 am

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:Fraser while clearing out some old Jap Perv, Banshee,Jap tunes :lol:
I came across the "EVO" mag that has your TYPE 25 :D

You know the one when its up againts the Spec C, P1, WR1

would you like to have it or shall i bin it along with the other mags :wink:

OOOHH! Yes please!! I'll PM you my address when I get a mo' this afternoon :D :D
Houdini

Postby The Swede » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:48 pm

Houdini wrote:Tyres not so good for handling, Sandy. Prefer Pirelli's.

What are you running at the moment ?
The Swede

Postby Houdini » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Torrekens wrote:
Houdini wrote:Tyres not so good for handling, Sandy. Prefer Pirelli's.

What are you running at the moment ?

Toyo TR1's, but I really want to put on Pirelli Corsa's
Houdini

Postby brick » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:51 pm

awesome car chap
brick

Postby danr55 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:53 pm

went in this car again today as a passenger now she's fully run in.

I WANT ONE :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
danr55
Site Owner

Previous

Return to The Garage