Login    Register

2004 Subaru Impreza STI WR1 - no.199 - Jon01

Post pictures of your car and tell us the spec. It doesn't have to be a WR1!

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
2004 Subaru Impreza STI WR1 - no.199 - Jon01

Postby Jon01 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Finally got round to taking some pictures. Heres a few pics after a quick wash at the weekend

Jon01

Postby John Mc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Jeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiiiissssttt WTF has happened to my old car? Is that sponsored by Sheilas Wheels? :cry:
John Mc

Postby Jon01 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Dont worry, thats on the to do list!
Jon01

Postby eck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Mc Tiddler: Gay And Proud wrote:Jeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiiiissssttt WTF has happened to my old car? Is that sponsored by Sheilas Wheels? :cry:

If you were that worried about it you should have kept it instead of getting a eurobox thingy :?
The WR1 be safe in the knowledge that, short of strapping yourself to an Acme rocket, there's no quicker way to get from A to B.
eck

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 am

eck wrote:
Mc Tiddler: Gay And Proud wrote:Jeeeeesus Chriiiiiiiiiissssttt WTF has happened to my old car? Is that sponsored by Sheilas Wheels? :cry:

If you were that worried about it you should have kept it instead of getting a eurobox thingy :?

WTF are you talking about mongo?
John Mc

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 am

Jon01 wrote:Dont worry, thats on the to do list!

Sorry Jon, I didn't mean any disrespect to what you had bought, I am surprised by how much it changed since I sold it, the decals and wheels for one!! :shock:

How many miles has it done now? When I bought it, it had a new engine at 33k (ish) and the "correct turbo" :lol: installed at 38k (ish)..... struts were done 42k(ish) iirc...... it ran perfectly so hopefully you won't have any problems with it. Never missed a heartbeat, it was so reliable.

What are you planning to do to it?
John Mc

Postby Jon01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Just about to tick over to 51k.

Yeah i heard and read it had a new engine and turbo (receipts with the car) and on here. What's the full story behind it?

Plans for the moment is to sort the roof out, its got the Subaru rust along where the roof meets the windscreen and a few bubbles.

Sort the decals out along with the mud flaps.

Im going to leave the wheels as they are in good condition and i don't think worth the hassle or money changing them back to standard or a gray colour.

Apart from that i just plan to enjoy it and keep it standard.
Jon01

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Not quite sure of the full story as I had to get a lot of info over the phone from S&S services in Scotland but the car was in Cheam (Surrey) when the dealer I bought it from got it.

I heard from Subaru that the block developed a split and it was a casting issue limited to only a couple which is why they ended up swapping the block under the warranty. Apparently the piston came through the side of the block wall but I didn't actually see this for myself!

Anyway, the car was sent to S&S for a block replacement and they also replaced the turbo which I assume was damaged when the piston came through the block. They must have used the turbo off a WRX as they put a TD04L on it when it was put back together and they wouldn't have known this unless they rolling roaded it.

After I had owned it for about 3 months I decided to see what power it was putting out and found it was about 265bhp :shock: After much searching and testing of the engine with the tuner and mechanics, one of them spotted that the turbo was the wrong model. To cut a very long story short, I paid for a new VF35 to be put on. It went back on the rollers and was around 310bhp but the "multipliers hadn't built up" :?: so it will have changed by now I'm sure.

Anyway, I had the rear shocks changed by the dealer I bought it from so you should have the Subaru 3yr/60k warranty paperwork I gave to the guy who bought it from me?

The rust around the window I think was from a windscreen change using a knife (not whilst I owned it). The exhaust may need replacing by now as it was showing signs of rusting through on the joints when I sold it? The brakes should be almost new as I sold them in the box to the last guy who said he would fit them himself.

I had WR1 flaps made up but they've been changed in your photos and the wheels were blistered a little so if they have been refurbed then that will save you a few hundred £...

You should have a great car, it was 100% reliable whilst I had it. Just needed to keep the battery tip top though, did the last guy pass the charger onto you?

Where are you based?
John Mc

Postby Jon01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Excellent, thanks very much, that matches up with the paper work!

The exhaust does look rusty, but most of it is just superficial, and the flanges the same. So i'll be getting a wire brush onto it to try and clean it back up.

The battery did actually go over the new year when it wasnt used much, but its had a new battery since and touch wood, its ok. No, there was no battery charger, however there is a very nice car cover which is a god send.

Im from Doncaster, but I live down at Wyton. Its a shame about the fenland roads being so poor.
Jon01

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

No probs pal, you should have a great car there. I think the last guy stripped the internals and thoroughly cleaned it too from the photos I saw.

My uncle lives down in March so i've driven a lot round there, some fast straight roads but you have to watch the tractors as the run offs are into the ditches aren't they? :lol:

You will enjoy it, they are quick cars as you know! You can adjust the ARB's on there, I had them on the middle setting when I sold it but they may have been stiffened? I found the middle setting the best to give you the best feeling of when the car was going to break away. It was very predictable and didn't bite you which was reassuring at speed.

You do know that the battery only charges when the side lights are on? It is an "intelligent" alternator on these so these need some power draw to start charging the battery!!
John Mc

Return to The Garage