Ooops bought a M5

Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:55 pm

After 9 years decided to get a pipe an slippers car

2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Re: Ooops brought a M5

Postby Bonovox » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:53 am

Very nice! Interior looks smart as well..........................Does the drivers seat convert into a rocking chair Grandad?

I especially like the space below the handbrake for holding your pipe and baccie! :lol: :wink:
Last edited by Bonovox on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonovox

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:06 am

very nice, but fancy trading down.... and the loss of power compared to the Subaru :lol:
Gary75

Postby Paulb022 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:30 am

I've been tempted by an m5, how does it compare??
Paulb022

Postby mossy1283 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

have you tried launch control yet? I've heard if you launch it a few times, it can cost you in the region of £6k to replace??
mossy1283

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Bonovox wrote:Very nice! Interior looks smart as well..........................Does the drivers seat convert into a rocking chair Grandad?

I especially like the space below the handbrake for holding your pipe and baccie! :lol: :wink:

Adaptive seats that hug you when "M"ad button is pressed 8)

It also has aside compartment for tenamen pants :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Clark » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:58 pm

You mean you BOUGHT an M5?
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Gary75 wrote:very nice, but fancy trading down.... and the loss of power compared to the Subaru :lol:

BMW M5 @ 507bhp / 1830 kg = 277 bhp per ton
Our Solberg sti @ 420bhp / 1470kg = 279 bhp per ton

But would add mods on STI would probably make Subaru heavier than standard, so probably less than 279 :!:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Clark wrote:You mean you BOUGHT an M5?

Sorry Clark edited.. by the way your the second to tell me so, thick builders hey !! :lol:

By the way can you recommend some car cleaning products such wax, paint sealant, engine bay, leather wheels etc please !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Paulb022 wrote:I've been tempted by an m5, how does it compare??

Can't really compare the two really, Subaru has 420bhp, exe-tc, ap racing brakes all round, so I'd say M5 would not live with it in anyway here in Cornwall, other than doing it in pure comfort, on long journeys I'd take M5 everyday....and a trip to "the ring" beckons ...soon ! :twisted:

Would like to keep both, but Subaru will be sold or broke for parts. :cry:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm

mossy1283 wrote:have you tried launch control yet? I've heard if you launch it a few times, it can cost you in the region of £6k to replace??

No I havn't :suss:

If L/C used 4 times it will invalidate any warranty you have, used to be £6/8k to replace clutch/gearbox, but BMW have reduced it to around £2.5k.
Rumours are every 40k-ish clutch may need replacing, our has been done, have heard of others getting 75k and still going strong, but it is a nearly always
a no warning failure.. :?

BMW AUC warranty is around £2.5k per year which includes every part on the car albeit everyday wear an tear items. So I either get warranty and hope clutch/ gearbox /engine goes in a year or I don't and hope nothing does :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby mossy1283 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:
mossy1283 wrote:have you tried launch control yet? I've heard if you launch it a few times, it can cost you in the region of £6k to replace??

If L/C used 4 times it will invalidate any warranty you have, used to be £6/8k to replace clutch/gearbox, but BMW have reduced it to around £2.5k.
Rumours are every 40k-ish clutch may need replacing, our has been done, have heard of others getting 75k and still going strong, but it is a nearly always

BMW AUC warranty is around £2.5k per year which includes every part on the car albeit everyday wear an tear items. So I either get warranty and hope clutch/ gearbox /engine goes in a year or I don't and hope nothing does :lol:

I think you're safe as the gearboxes aren't made of cheese or the engine either. Did you sell those wheels in the end?
mossy1283

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 pm

mossy1283 wrote:

I think you're safe as the gearboxes aren't made of cheese or the engine either. Did you sell those wheels in the end?

Engine and gearbox are main issue on M5's so I gather ! :shock:

Still got them, no rush to sell...
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Re: Ooops bought a M5

Postby mossy1283 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:55 am

Just gotta treat it with the respect it deserves (ie. drive it like the old man it was meant to have), I may be in touch about the wheels soon then, gives me a chance to return to my old stomping ground too!
mossy1283

Postby Gary75 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:22 am

Paulb022 wrote:I've been tempted by an m5, how does it compare??

Can't really compare the two really, Subaru has 420bhp, exe-tc, ap racing brakes all round, so I'd say M5 would not live with it in anyway here in Cornwall, other than doing it in pure comfort, on long journeys I'd take M5 everyday....and a trip to "the ring" beckons ...soon ! :twisted:

Would like to keep both, but Subaru will be sold or broke for parts. :cry:

Are someone with exe-tc suspension..... ive been playing with mine for ages trying to get the right damping settings etc what do you have yours set at for general fast road? i still feel i have some handling issues at speed. The suspension is nice a tight with a good feel to the steering, i have strut braces front and rear and was thinking these may be causing the general instability at speed when traveling fast on a sweeping bend on dual carriageway. When i dismount a kerb onto the road the car seems to canter with the back wheel lifting off the surface? chassis and suspension to rigid?

I have the damping set at 15 clicks from soft on the rear and 10 clicks from soft on the front, all four corners are fitted with brand new Bridgestone Potenzas Re50 with 92 load index.

Im thinking of fitting the stock suspension as i have not driven a Subaru with the standard set up.

Sorry to hijack the thread :D
Gary75

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Gary75 wrote:
Are someone with exe-tc suspension..... ive been playing with mine for ages trying to get the right damping settings etc what do you have yours set at for general fast road? i still feel i have some handling issues at speed. The suspension is nice a tight with a good feel to the steering, i have strut braces front and rear and was thinking these may be causing the general instability at speed when traveling fast on a sweeping bend on dual carriageway. When i dismount a kerb onto the road the car seems to canter with the back wheel lifting off the surface? chassis and suspension to rigid?

I have the damping set at 15 clicks from soft on the rear and 10 clicks from soft on the front, all four corners are fitted with brand new Bridgestone Potenzas Re50 with 92 load index.

Im thinking of fitting the stock suspension as i have not driven a Subaru with the standard set up.

Sorry to hijack the thread :D

From softest setting I had 20 clicks front 25 rear, this was set up by Graham of exe-tc in Exeter where ours was fitted, his quote was have rear harder to stop rear end squat which help reduce understeer by not taking weight of the front !
Bro set his the same on his WR1 aswell made a big difference.
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:15 pm

mossy1283 wrote:Just gotta treat it with the respect it deserves (ie. drive it like the old man it was meant to have), I may be in touch about the wheels soon then, gives me a chance to return to my old stomping ground too!

Culdrose by any chance.

2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby mossy1283 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

mossy1283 wrote:Just gotta treat it with the respect it deserves (ie. drive it like the old man it was meant to have), I may be in touch about the wheels soon then, gives me a chance to return to my old stomping ground too!

Culdrose by any chance.

Well not quite, I grew up in Cornwall (Mawnan Smith) but hopefully soon culdrose will be my home base if my wife can get a job down there.

Like the pic by the way, are you a matelot?
mossy1283

Postby Gary75 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:28 pm

From softest setting I had 20 clicks front 25 rear, this was set up by Graham of exe-tc in Exeter where ours was fitted, his quote was have rear harder to stop rear end squat which help reduce understeer by not taking weight of the front !

I will have a play, but did find the stiffer the damping caused the car to be skitty over uneven surfaces, especially on high speed bends.... Thanks
Gary75

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:05 pm

mossy1283 wrote:

Culdrose by any chance.

Well not quite, I grew up in Cornwall (Mawnan Smith) but hopefully soon culdrose will be my home base if my wife can get a job down there.

Like the pic by the way, are you a matelot?

No way...

Used to be a contractor on camp, Mawnan Smith just a few miles away Mrs want to move there but too snobby for me lol !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Gary75 wrote:

I will have a play, but did find the stiffer the damping caused the car to be skitty over uneven surfaces, especially on high speed bends.... Thanks

Gary, do you have the whiteline arb & alk fitted ?
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Gary75 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 am

Gary75 wrote:

Gary, do you have the whiteline arb & alk fitted ?

No, just standard arb and links. The geometry is spot on now, the car performs well on the twisties with good feel through the steering, no body roll present, but doesn't seem to like high speed sweeping bends, the car feels like its loosing grip on a slippery road surface, drifting outwards towards the side of the road and this is in dry weather, so wouldn't like to push on in the wet :shock: I was thinking the cars suspension maybe to firm causing the tyres to take all of the load. Could it be the tyres? although new on all four corners.

I need to drive another scoob just to confirm the difference in high speed cornering, would the standard suspension if fitted be an improvement, ie better damping?? :?

I think this needs to be on another thread, sorry for hijacking....
Gary75

Postby mossy1283 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 am

No way...

Used to be a contractor on camp, Mawnan Smith just a few miles away Mrs want to move there but too snobby for me lol !

Haha, I suppose it is! I'm going to be looking in that area again I think just because I know the area. Although I can see the price of property there dictates the snobbyness!
mossy1283

Return to Other Marques