Login    Register

Spa trip 2008 !!! (4th/5th August)

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Spa trip 2008 !!! (4th/5th August)

Postby danr55 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Guys,I'm happy to announce details of the Spa 2008 trip.

We need to book for this ASAP, last year all bookings were full by end of Jan.

Details are a bit open for the moment as we'll deal with numbers first, and then look at who wants to do Nurburgring aswell. A trip to the Ring will probably be at the end of the trip and will an optional day/night stay for those that want it...

The plan will be something along the lines of:
Travel across on Sunday evening, stay at Hotel in Spa ready for trackday on Monday, Stay at Spa again Monday evening. Tuesday after the trackday drive somewhere like Leuven (fantastic Belgian town) 40minutes away for a meal/beer and late night bars. We will also try and factor in a trip around some of the rally roads and to visit some great towns/villages/pubs etc. This is subject to slight change, but this will be the general plan. For those that want an additional night, will organise a suitable location either nr the The Ring or in Belgium, depending on what people want to so.

So, we have 4th/5th as the trackdays at Spa, available through BaT/Bookatrack www.bookatrack.com We have used these guys for Spa and other trackdays and they are a very professional bunch and know what they're doing.

I have spoken with them directly to negotiate on the trackdays, as they are generally only allowing people to book for BOTH days at a cost of £450. After some thought this seemed like a lot of money and stress to put on the cars, so, we will pair up and have one day each and split this cost (£225 each for one trackday) On the day you are not driving, you can spectate, go be a tourist, or go get drunk somewhere, choice is yours BUT everyone will have to sign in on the first day, and be at the briefing, and possibly do a sighting lap or 2, as there will not be a second briefing on the second day. If you wish to do both days, no problem. For this reason, we need to get organised on numbers ASAP.

Last time we did this the ferry was £60 return for the car, and the hotels were approx £70 a night as an average. Please factor in your use of fuel, food and drink costs etc, and make an executive decision ASAP.

For those that have done this before, you know what a fantastic event this will be, for those that havent get your names down as you dont know what you are missing out on!

Any questions, shout ASAP.
danr55
Site Owner

Postby danr55 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:46 am

So, so far we have:

1- Wr1mposter (Martin) + Helen ?
2- Antony + 2 possibles(M3)
3- Dave +1 possible (audi tt)
4- Presa(Andy)
5- Swede(Sandy) + Hannu & Marketa
6- Dan + 1/2/3 possible beer buddies

Anymore for anymore? the spare slots we have for the trackday will have to be cancelled for us to get a refund before the end of JUNE. Similarly we need to get confirmed on accomodation front...
danr55
Site Owner

Postby danr55 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 am

I really fancy getting over to the ring again. I'm going to see if there's anyway of organising us all to be on the trackday on the monday...
danr55
Site Owner

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 pm

do it !

it only 90 miles :wink:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby danr55 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:03 am

we are going to have to stick to plan a - half cars drive on Monday, half on Tuesday as the event is fully booked there's no flexibility on this.

Who wants to go to the ring? If some people dont, then it makes sense to try and get those that do on the same day at Spa.

names for the Ring:

1. Dan
2. Pooster
danr55
Site Owner

Postby presa900 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Who wants to go to the ring? If some people dont, then it makes sense to try and get those that do on the same day at Spa.

names for the Ring:

1. Dan
2. Pooster
3. Presa 8)
presa900

Postby danr55 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Well to throw in some confusion, our only option of a trip to the ring is going to be on the Sunday, which will involve a lot of driving, around 300 miles to the ring from Calais, then around 90 back ot the hotel after.

I'll do it, so will pooster, presa?! 8)

At least we'll have then done it and can stop at Spa for the next couple of days. bagsy driving on the monday and drinking on the monday night :D :D
danr55
Site Owner

Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 pm

names for the Ring:

1. Dan
2. Pooster
3. Presa
4. Dave
5. Antony

So the plan is to hit the ring on sunday, because it closed on mon/tues and only open on wed eve from 17.30.

Dan we'll meet you at the ring, waiting possibly 5/6 hours for your ferry to turn up mean extra laps, by the time you get off the ferry we'll be at the ring or in a pub having lunch :lol: :lol:

To make things easier

Monday on track, Dan, Andy, Sweede.

Tuesday on Track Me, Dave, Antony.

Not sure on whether to keep the option of the other 2 track session, which could mean 2 of us tracking on both days.... or get refund, or just go to the mon am brief, if you let us have a few passenger laps with you and take the rest of the day as it comes.
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby danr55 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 am

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:names for the Ring:

1. Dan
2. Pooster
3. Presa
4. Dave
5. Antony

So the plan is to hit the ring on sunday, because it closed on mon/tues and only open on wed eve from 17.30.

Dan we'll meet you at the ring, waiting possibly 5/6 hours for your ferry to turn up mean extra laps, by the time you get off the ferry we'll be at the ring or in a pub having lunch :lol: :lol:

To make things easier

Monday on track, Dan, Andy, Sweede.

Tuesday on Track Me, Dave, Antony.

Not sure on whether to keep the option of the other 2 track session, which could mean 2 of us tracking on both days.... or get refund, or just go to the mon am brief, if you let us have a few passenger laps with you and take the rest of the day as it comes.

I'm good with all of that. Personally I would say cancel the other double booking, the Sunday will be a LOT of miles on the cars and track at the ring, and a full trackday at spa is probably enough. But if 2 of u want 2 days at Spa I'm not guna stop you !!
danr55
Site Owner

Postby The Swede » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

2 days around the track would be too much for me also. Well, actually for the car. Don't want to wear out the tyres and brakes so much. Plus I tend to get bored after having been there 7-8 hours.

Won't do the Ring probably. Pointless exercise unless you know the place damn well. Otherwise only worth for the novelty factor.

I think we'll go for some of the small roads they use on the many rallies in the area and enjoy some good local beers at the monastries.

Ashame I'm not on track with Pooster. Would have loved to race him again :wink:
The Swede

Postby danr55 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 am

The Swede wrote:2 days around the track would be too much for me also. Well, actually for the car. Don't want to wear out the tyres and brakes so much. Plus I tend to get bored after having been there 7-8 hours.

Won't do the Ring probably. Pointless exercise unless you know the place damn well. Otherwise only worth for the novelty factor.

I think we'll go for some of the small roads they use on the many rallies in the area and enjoy some good local beers at the monastries.

Ashame I'm not on track with Pooster. Would have loved to race him again :wink:

you can race me on the beers on Monday night instead :woohoo:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby presa900 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 am

All sounds good to me, I'm up for the ring on the Sunday and on track at Spa on the Monday, then major beer session on Monday night 8)
presa900

Postby The Swede » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:39 am

The ring on Sunday ?? :shock: I thought you guys were driving over on Sunday ! That's a lot of driving !

PS: Just a stupid question: since Spa is on Monday, why do people not drive up to Belgium on Friday eve or Saturday morning and take the time to relax before the trackday ?
The Swede

Postby danr55 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:51 am

The Swede wrote:The ring on Sunday ?? :shock: I thought you guys were driving over on Sunday ! That's a lot of driving !

PS: Just a stupid question: since Spa is on Monday, why do people not drive up to Belgium on Friday eve or Saturday morning and take the time to relax before the trackday ?

Ring on Sunday is the only option. See above.

We're all on a tigh-ish budget for this trip so an extra couple of nights accomodation/beer/food is going to stretch things a bit. Also, I have to be here on Saturday for Phoebes first birthday! Sunday will be quite a lot of driving, but, we have all day. And will probably only do around 4 laps each at the Ring anyway. Or maybe a few more 8) Straight to the Ring from Calais, then back to the hotel once we're done there
danr55
Site Owner

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am

As explained elsewhere. Spa will have to do without me.

Apologies to Pasty and Dan for pulling out. The reasons are known and mainly revolve around the attitude other members have shown towards the most interesting event organised by the club this year.

I will still support you for accomodation and logistics when needed.
The Swede

Postby danr55 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:47 am

and then there were 5...
danr55
Site Owner

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am

Well, sorry.

Never thought I'd ever go so low, but had no real choice. :(
The Swede

Postby danr55 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

Can we please confirm which partners/friends are joining which cars so that we can confirm the accomodation numbers guys...
danr55
Site Owner

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 pm

danr55 wrote:and then there were 5...

Considering Bro's uncertainty around the baby is now out of the way, I am sure he'll be coming now :wink:
The Swede

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:36 pm

I can understand you letting others down Sandy, but as for myself I'm really pissed you have pulled out !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:48 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:I can understand you letting others down Sandy, but as for myself I'm really pissed you have pulled out !

I am very sorry for that. But in the end, the only reason I was coming anymore after all the 'changes' and people turning down was to not dissappoint yourself and Dan.

And there I had to ask the question whether it was really of interest of doing this for everyone. There is not only the cost. If I turned up after driving 2400 miles one way and paying >3000,-GBP to see nobody actually came over, I would probably have been a VERY bad grump moaning the whole time about those who :blahblah: but never put their foot in.
This would not have been fun for me or my environment.

If I we want to do something together, I'd rather use those 3K on a trip for just 3 of us and drive something properly...
(I'll make sure I do something, promise :wink:)
The Swede

Postby presa900 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:52 pm

The Swede wrote:As explained elsewhere. Spa will have to do without me.

Apologies to Pasty and Dan for pulling out. The reasons are known and mainly revolve around the attitude other members have shown towards the most interesting event organised by the club this year.

What about apologising to me......I was looking forward to whipping your arse around Spa :wink:

You had better be joking after all that :blahblah:
presa900

Postby danr55 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm

presa900 wrote:

What about apologising to me......I was looking forward to whipping your arse around Spa :wink:

He got scared when we discussed the beer competition, and is now running away. PUSSY :dickhead:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:40 pm

presa900 wrote:

You can't even whip my arse around when you're in your scoob and I am in a FWD Focus in the wet... :rofl:

But talking of whipping arse around, I think you've had also plenty of opportunity to show up at a proper driving event in Finland. Where were you on that ? Voting with your feet ?
The Swede

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:42 pm

danr55 wrote:
presa900 wrote:

He got scared when we discussed the beer competition, and is now running away. PUSSY :dickhead:

Maybe if you'd done a better job to heard your cats, I'd indeed have done my 5000m round trip to come over... :dickhead:

Not too late anyway to round up some people. We still got a free slot. Be careful that I don't quickly take the Merc up from Southern France and blast that around the track. :finger:
The Swede

Postby danr55 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 pm

The Swede wrote:
danr55 wrote:
presa900 wrote:

Maybe if you'd done a better job to heard your cats, I'd indeed have done my 5000m round trip to come over... :dickhead:

Not too late anyway to round up some people. We still got a free slot. Be careful that I don't quickly take the Merc up from Southern France and blast that around the track. :finger:

I dare you, come on down badboy, let's see how fast you are in your Merc :wink: :wink: :wink:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 pm

danr55 wrote:I dare you, come on down badboy, let's see how fast you are in your Merc :wink: :wink: :wink:

I remember someone driving a 385bhp Evo 2 years ago struggling to keep up with that 224bhp Merc while it was raining and the driver wasn't even pushing it... :?

As for daring, how about trying to dare some of the members with more posts than me ? :wink: :wink: :wink:
The Swede

Postby danr55 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:24 am

less than a month to go !! :woohoo:
danr55
Site Owner

Return to General Discussion