Login    Register

this looks like fun !!!

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
this looks like fun !!!

Postby danr55 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:31 am

danr55
Site Owner

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:55 am

great film clip there, just love the exhaust tone :)
Brian

Postby Sumo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:42 am

Awesome :omg:
Number 12 back with me after a 6 year break.
Sumo

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:13 pm

:wow: :thumb:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:44 pm

Crazy. :cuckoo:

Looks also like it's filmed either in Eastern Europe either in Finland. Especially looking at the guys '70's looks and the old Opel Ascona.
Plus, since you can't do any ski jumping in summer, this looks like the perfect suicidal alternative ! :rofl:
The Swede

Postby Anders_WR1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:55 pm

Has anyone been Karting? I went to the indoor Raceway at Kings Cross and had some serious fun. Their only 9hp gas powered, but they're good for 45 mph around corners.

Someone recommended an outdoor circuit with twin-engined ones that go 70mph. Sounds wicked.
Engine: FMIC with K&N CAIK, Oil Catch Can & MD321H turbo. Next mod: TBD
Brakes: Turbo Groove Discs, Pagid RS29's & Braided Hoses.
Suspension: Whiteline front and rear ARB's, ALK
Anders_WR1

Postby The Swede » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:10 pm

Anders_WR1 wrote:Has anyone been Karting?

1997 national indoor champion in Belgium for under 25. With quite a bit of luck. :oops:

Done the Castle Combe outdoor race once. Quite fun. I'd really recommend it to anyone. For 35 GBP, you do 5 races, 1 semi final and if you're lucky one final. Takes 3.5h and you get a nice trophee at the end :thumb:

Off karting regularly here too. Don't have an own kart anymore as it's not practical (need a trailer etc) although I am considering getting one for my son after the winter.
So far he's only been with me in a tandem kart at the Mika Salo circuit not far from here. (Fantastic circuit ! Like a mini F1 track. It's used for world championship race)

The Swede

Postby chris » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:43 pm

Are you the one on the right? :wink:
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby The Swede » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:43 pm

chris's scooby wrote:Are you the one on the right? :wink:

Yes, I often hi-jack daddy's PC. :woohoo:

He's upstairs with mummy :hump:. So I'm gonna take his machine a bit apart now. :angel:

If you don't see him online tomorrow, you know why ! :2:

:wave:
Junior Swede, aka Hannu
The Swede

Postby Chris B » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:10 pm

The last couple of times we went to Santa Pod with RCM and Haldor's drag car, we watched a young lady take her kart down the 1/4 mile at speeds in excess of 100 mph :shock: . I don't know what the world record is for these things, but she must have been somewhere near it. Very impressive -

but not my type :wink:

I prefer brunettes :rofl:

Rosy
Last edited by Chris B on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris B

Postby danr55 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:13 pm

wr1oc go karting day ?................................ :D :D :D
danr55
Site Owner

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:14 pm

Anders_WR1 wrote:Has anyone been Karting? I went to the indoor Raceway at Kings Cross and had some serious fun. Their only 9hp gas powered, but they're good for 45 mph around corners.

Someone recommended an outdoor circuit with twin-engined ones that go 70mph. Sounds wicked.

There is a outdoor circuit down here in Corwall with twin engines
they are capable of over 60mph with myself on board :omg:
all 14.5 stone of me :thumb:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Anders_WR1 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:56 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:
Anders_WR1 wrote:Has anyone been Karting? I went to the indoor Raceway at Kings Cross and had some serious fun. Their only 9hp gas powered, but they're good for 45 mph around corners.

There is a outdoor circuit down here in Corwall with twin engines
they are capable of over 60mph with myself on board :omg:
all 14.5 stone of me :thumb:

I think the Castle Combe circuit Torrekens mentioned was the one this lad was on about. Sounds wicked value @
Anders_WR1

Postby The Swede » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:35 pm

I'm in ! :woohoo:
The Swede

Postby The Swede » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:37 pm

Anders_WR1 wrote:If we set up a wr1oc kart event, we'll need someone on the inside, so Torrekens kart can be sabotaged. This should help stop him lapping us 20 times over :D

Hei... hang on... :wtf:

You're lucky it's not on ice, Anders ! :rofl:
The Swede

07799 112 542

Postby Anders_WR1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:11 pm

Torrekens wrote:
Anders_WR1 wrote:If we set up a wr1oc kart event, we'll need someone on the inside, so Torrekens kart can be sabotaged. This should help stop him lapping us 20 times over :D

Hei... hang on... :wtf:

You're lucky it's not on ice, Anders ! :rofl:

Some of the best fun I ever had was in the snow back home in the Isle of Man. I was 18 and owned a 1.4 Fiesta (with self-installed Kent high-lift cam kit, K&N filter, Peco exhaust and splitfire spark plugs). The mountain road was closed due to snow, but me and two other mates made our way up there in our cars.

There is a motorcycle museum on the side of Snaefell mountain with a car park that is raised up from the mountain road. We managed to wheelspin our way in to the car park then flew back down lobbing the hand brake on where the car park road meets the mountain road. The area where the two roads meet is quite large and was good for several 360 spins!

After a couple of hours perfecting handbrake technique, we went for a drive along the mountain road along the veranda bends. It wasn't long before the snow became compacted and we were flying along. After an hour or two my confidence grew and it wasn't long before I was doing rally-style power slides around the bends!

Unfortunately all this practise didn't make the slightest bit of difference when I hit some frost back home at Christmas...kerbed the nearside wheels on a pavement. Could have been worse - the next corner didn't have a kerb, only a stone wall. It's the transition between grip and no grip that difficult to master.

BTW I'll be putting octane booster in my kart!
Anders_WR1

Re: 07799 112 542

Postby The Swede » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm

Anders_WR1 wrote: It's the transition between grip and no grip that difficult to master.

You better start a serious diet ! :rofl: Not sure if ou were at the RR day. You'll have noticed I got kind of a weight advantage.

Snow is indeed fantastic to drive on. Plus, in Belgium or in the UK, if it snows, you can go and chose a quite road to play on or stay in town where all roads are clean.

I've been pretty frustrated when I came over here. I thought I could slide a car around and then got a driving lesson from my wife. :mad:

The issue at this latitude is that it's all ice on the roads (COMPLETE lack of grip) and that you have the bloody stuff everywhere, including in town centres. The pleasures to slide towards lorries etc. Image

The other bit is that on studded tyres, you have much more grip than on summertyres, so to get the Vatanen feel... You got to go at Vatanen speeds Image

Get in touch with 1mposter and get over at New Year ! I'm planning a trip to Lapland (see members area) :woohoo:
The Swede

Postby The Swede » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:07 pm

Chris B wrote:but not my type :wink:

I prefer brunettes :rofl:

Rosy

Rosy ?

:omg:

:toofunny:

I already thought there was something wrong when she told me she was cleaning the engine of the Ice Blue monster :wink:

One more reason to keep my wife away from you lot ! :rofl:
The Swede

Re: 07799 112 542

Postby Anders_WR1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm

Torrekens wrote:
Anders_WR1 wrote: It's the transition between grip and no grip that difficult to master.

You better start a serious diet ! :rofl: Not sure if ou were at the RR day. You'll have noticed I got kind of a weight advantage.

Snow is indeed fantastic to drive on. Plus, in Belgium or in the UK, if it snows, you can go and chose a quite road to play on or stay in town where all roads are clean.

I've been pretty frustrated when I came over here. I thought I could slide a car around and then got a driving lesson from my wife. :mad:

The issue at this latitude is that it's all ice on the roads (COMPLETE lack of grip) and that you have the bloody stuff everywhere, including in town centres. The pleasures to slide towards lorries etc. Image

The other bit is that on studded tyres, you have much more grip than on summertyres, so to get the Vatanen feel... You got to go at Vatanen speeds Image

Get in touch with 1mposter and get over at New Year ! I'm planning a trip to Lapland (see members area) :woohoo:

I better book in to hospital for some carbon fibre bone transplants. Should save a couple of kilo's. 8)

I couldn't make the RR day. My family were visiting that weekend. I'm up for the next one (if there is one). I want to see if my WR1 is one of the 'faster' one's. Think it must be as it's faster than my mates 330bhp Nissan Pulsar.

The problem with snow on the Isle of Man, is that most of the roads are too narrow to have safe fun (lots of single track in country). If it snows when I'm back at Christmas, I'll have a blast around the field in front of my house (farmer is a good mate). There won't be any crusing on the mountain road - they introduced fines and points for anyone who is caught up there when it's closed. Public safety :blahblah: just leave a bunch of disclaimer forms at the roads close sign :thumb:

What does a set of studded tyres cost and how long do they last? You say you live at altitude. Does your car loose performance because the air is less dense up there from a pressure perspective, or do you gain because the air is cooler and more dense, if that makes sense!?

I'll be lucky to get any more time off around Christmas and the new year :( If you see father Christmas in Lapland, tell him I want a Prodrive 340bhp upgrade and an oil cooler ASAP.
Anders_WR1

Postby The Swede » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:36 pm

:lol2:

He's still sitting on my 500bhp kit too. I'll remind him :wink:

(If anyone comes to lapland, a visit to Father Christmas' office is a must !).
As for the "latitude", it wasn't a typo ! 8) I live between 64 and 65 degrees North.

The cold air I assume will make that the power is always there. I never need the intercooler spray. :rofl:
The scoob does however not seem to like the cold temperatures. Once below -35C last winter, the engine started 'grinding' and the electronics started losing the plot :confused:
I hope that switching to 0W30 oil instead of 5W40 will help.

A set of studded tyres lasts just as long as normal tyres (if you use them on snow or ice of course). The problem with STi's (or WR1's) is that the size of the front calipers do not allow you to fit smaller than 17" wheels. Not ideal.
I'd go for a set of WRX 17" alloys and put 205/50/17 tyres if I would do it again. Now I run on the standard 225/45/17.
If you take a proper studded tyre like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4, you'll look at 150GBp per corner in that size. Couldn't find cheaper as there's not so much supply.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercar ... PELIITTA+4
The Swede

Return to General Discussion