Login    Register

Left Foot Breaking

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Left Foot Breaking

Postby Joe » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:39 pm

= Face against windscrean

What is it about ?
Can somone help?
Joseph
Joe

Re: Left Foot Breaking

Postby chris » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:43 pm

Joe wrote:= Face against windscrean

What is it about ?
Can somone help?

Don't push the pedal so hard! :lol:

You'll need to train yourself that it's not the clutch pedal you're dipping, and you less force. Try on a quiet road or an empty car park.
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby stijoy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:57 pm

but why would you want to do this for :?:
stijoy

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:43 pm

try left foot accerator
right foot clutch :rofl:

then you know your ambidextrous :rofl:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Joe » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:13 pm

What do you gain from this ( left foot breaking )
Joseph
Joe

Postby jimbo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:16 pm

never tried it!
jimbo

Postby danr55 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:33 pm

it's supposed to allow you to get on brakes/onto accelerator quicker. takes a lot of getting used to. and you will slam your head into the windscreen a few more times first ! :D
danr55
Site Owner

Postby danr55 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:39 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:try left foot accerator

:rofl: :rofl:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:41 pm

danr55 wrote:
WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:try left foot accerator

:rofl: :rofl:

assume this position when driving :hump:

it actually works :rofl:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:49 am

:shock: I feel we're gonna be losing some WR1's in this process, but anyway...

It's fairly simple !

Originally much used by Scandinavian rallydrivers as there are many long corners on loose surface here. Be it in the forests (gravel) or on the normal roads (ice 'n snow).

Going flat-out through one of those corners always means that the nose will go wide if you push too hard. Lift off and you're into the scenery rear first. :nono:

So the solution is to keep your foot on the throttle and give a little nod on the brakes with your left foot to bring the nose back in line if it starts to go wide. (brakes are always stronger than the engine power. Hence why braking still has an effect even when you are flat-out on the accelerator).

You can try it on tarmac, but it won't have the same effect.
1. because if the nose loses progressively a bit of grip on tarmac (supposed you're playing ON the limit and didn't try a hairpin at 150 mph), it will probably regain grip on the next 15" of tar anyway (especially as the sides of the roads are generally slightly rougher as less worn and so give more grip than the driving line). On snow, once you lose it, you're in for a 'side step' of at least 6' straight away !
2. it's only useful when you're on the limit in long bends. Not to advise in normal UK traffic as, if you drive your thing properly, you'll be at stupidly high speeds with no margin for error at all. You don't want to try a new driving technique at 130mph ! 8)
3. what you CAN try is go into a corner at reasonable speed (say 90 or 100mph) and touch the brakes a few times with your left foot to test the effect. You'll see the nose tries to turn in more sharply.

:!: Beware ! You need a bloody sensitive left foot. Most people end up hitting the brakes so hard first time they try it, they're face against the windscreen indeed. They just need a very gentle touch !

Nowadays you'll notice most modern rallydrivers use the technique (check the images. You'll see the brakelights light up through the entire corner while the guy seems to be accelerating like a loony !).
As they have gearboxes where they don't need to use the clutch anyway, they use the technique also in very slow corners, just to keep the turbo on boost.
The Swede

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:51 am

stijoy wrote:but why would you want to do this for :?:

when going through chicane at bruntingthorpe :lol: , braking while the power is on keeps the car in the right direction :wink: ,
needless to say if i tried it we would of gone through the window :lol:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby stijoy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:55 am

Spike "THE LEGEND" Mike XXX wrote:

when going through chicane at bruntingthorpe :lol: , braking while the power is on keeps the car in the right direction :wink: ,

:toofunny: seeing as i was sat in the back i would have ended up in the front with you then. :rofl:
stijoy

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:58 am

stijoy wrote:

:toofunny: seeing as i was sat in the back i would have ended up in the front with you then. :rofl:

id be holding onto the seagull catcher for dear life mate :rofl:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby stijoy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:59 am

next year i will be better prepared mate. :toofunny: :woohoo: :ok:
stijoy

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:08 am

stijoy wrote:next year i will be better prepared mate. :toofunny: :woohoo: :ok:

maybe later this yr if jaycee pulls his finger out :lol:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby stijoy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:15 am

stijoy wrote:next year i will be better prepared mate. :toofunny: :woohoo: :ok:

maybe later this yr if jaycee pulls his finger out :lol:

i think it's waiting for some info from chris, before anything gets planned.
stijoy

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:32 am

I'm not wondering about the if... I'm more interested to see WHICH window you would have gone through. :rofl:

I say, one reason more to come and organise a blast here in a few months. At least you can try left foot braking in all safety (i.e. under 100mph). :wink:
The Swede

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:36 am

The Swede wrote:

I'm not wondering about the if... I'm more interested to see WHICH window you would have gone through. :rofl:

I say, one reason more to come and organise a blast here in a few months. At least you can try left foot braking in all safety (i.e. under 100mph). :wink:

im game mate any excuse to get away :wink:

how long would it take to drive to u homie?
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:40 am

The Swede wrote:I say, one reason more to come and organise a blast here in a few months. At least you can try left foot braking in all safety (i.e. under 100mph). :wink:

Depends which way you go. I don't know what it's like if you cross from North England to Norway and then take the "short" way to here.

From London, take about 4hr to get to Calais, then another 1150 miles to Stockholm. There you take the ferry to Turku (11h crossing) and then drive North another 5 h about... :D

If I leave in Brussels around 18h, I stop in Lubeck at a hotel at midnight, leave the next morning around 8 and am around 18h in Stockholm.

NB: For info:
- The ferries (more 'floating palaces') between Finland and Sweden are pretty interesting. Since they stop in Aland, alcohol is tax free. Due to very high alcohol prices in Scandinavia, people often take a night ferry without taking a cabin (cheap ticket, party whole night) and then take the same ferry back the next day (with cabin as cabins are dirt cheap during the day). It's often cheaper than a night out in Stockholm or Finland.
Second thing: Finns (and Swedes) are a bit more open about relationships than we tend to be. Tradition wants that you don't take the ferry with your boyfriend, but go there with your other female friends for a night of fun...
Result: those ferry's are just packed with groups of sexy young birds who're in for anything ! No joke, you can't believe what you see sometimes. :shock:
I compare it to the legend of the QE2, where, during a crossing, every night the clock is turned back from 1am to 12 to compensate for the time difference. It's said God will not take in account what happens during that hour at the last judgement.
God better not take in account what happens on those Finland-Sweden crossings either ! :rofl:
The Swede

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:56 am

The Swede wrote:
The Swede wrote:I say, one reason more to come and organise a blast here in a few months. At least you can try left foot braking in all safety (i.e. under 100mph). :wink:

Depends which way you go. I don't know what it's like if you cross from North England to Norway and then take the "short" way to here.

From London, take about 4hr to get to Calais, then another 1150 miles to Stockholm. There you take the ferry to Turku (11h crossing) and then drive North another 5 h about... :D

If I leave in Brussels around 18h, I stop in Lubeck at a hotel at midnight, leave the next morning around 8 and am around 18h in Stockholm.

NB: For info:
- The ferries (more 'floating palaces') between Finland and Sweden are pretty interesting. Since they stop in Aland, alcohol is tax free. Due to very high alcohol prices in Scandinavia, people often take a night ferry without taking a cabin (cheap ticket, party whole night) and then take the same ferry back the next day (with cabin as cabins are dirt cheap during the day). It's often cheaper than a night out in Stockholm or Finland.
Second thing: Finns (and Swedes) are a bit more open about relationships than we tend to be. Tradition wants that you don't take the ferry with your boyfriend, but go there with your other female friends for a night of fun...
Result: those ferry's are just packed with groups of sexy young birds who're in for anything ! No joke, you can't believe what you see sometimes. :shock:
I compare it to the legend of the QE2, where, during a crossing, every night the clock is turned back from 1am to 12 to compensate for the time difference. It's said God will not take in account what happens during that hour at the last judgement.
God better not take in account what happens on those Finland-Sweden crossings either ! :rofl:

1100 miles u joker :shock: ill pop over at the weekend :rofl:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby stijoy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:02 am

but you don't know even know where york is, should be a laugh you trying to find, you would proabably end up in russia. :wink:
stijoy

Postby danr55 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:04 am

sounds like fun, I'll join ya ! :D
danr55
Site Owner

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:13 am

stijoy wrote:but you don't know even know where york is, should be a laugh you trying to find, you would proabably end up in russia. :wink:

pioneer x1 mate,im yet to get lost :wink: does all of europe!!

i like to have a clue as to timescale so when i come and stay at yours for the next rr i know what time to leave :thumb:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:43 pm

stijoy wrote:but you don't know even know where york is, should be a laugh you trying to find, you would proabably end up in russia. :wink:

:toofunny:

Excellent, pops !

Spike, I'm unsure whether your X1 is going to work in Russia... And I'm not sure whether you wanna end up with a WR1 in Russia. There is a petrol pump about every 400 miles if you're lucky... :rofl;
The Swede

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:51 pm

The Swede wrote:

:toofunny:

Excellent, pops !

Spike, I'm unsure whether your X1 is going to work in Russia... And I'm not sure whether you wanna end up with a WR1 in Russia. There is a petrol pump about every 400 miles if you're lucky... :rofl;

id run it on vodka :rofl: ive heard it adds 10bhp :wink:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby chris » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:15 pm

The Swede wrote::shock: I feel we're gonna be losing some WR1's in this process, but anyway...

It's fairly simple !

Originally much used by Scandinavian rallydrivers as there are many long corners on loose surface here. Be it in the forests (gravel) or on the normal roads (ice 'n snow).

Going flat-out through one of those corners always means that the nose will go wide if you push too hard. Lift off and you're into the scenery rear first. :nono:

So the solution is to keep your foot on the throttle and give a little nod on the brakes with your left foot to bring the nose back in line if it starts to go wide. (brakes are always stronger than the engine power. Hence why braking still has an effect even when you are flat-out on the accelerator).

1. because if the nose loses progressively a bit of grip on tarmac (supposed you're playing ON the limit and didn't try a hairpin at 150 mph), it will probably regain grip on the next 15" of tar anyway (especially as the sides of the roads are generally slightly rougher as less worn and so give more grip than the driving line). On snow, once you lose it, you're in for a 'side step' of at least 6' straight away !
2. it's only useful when you're on the limit in long bends. Not to advise in normal UK traffic as, if you drive your thing properly, you'll be at stupidly high speeds with no margin for error at all. You don't want to try a new driving technique at 130mph ! 8)
3. what you CAN try is go into a corner at reasonable speed (say 90 or 100mph) and touch the brakes a few times with your left foot to test the effect. You'll see the nose tries to turn in more sharply.

:!: Beware ! You need a bloody sensitive left foot. Most people end up hitting the brakes so hard first time they try it, they're face against the windscreen indeed. They just need a very gentle touch !

Nowadays you'll notice most modern rallydrivers use the technique (check the images. You'll see the brakelights light up through the entire corner while the guy seems to be accelerating like a loony !).
As they have gearboxes where they don't need to use the clutch anyway, they use the technique also in very slow corners, just to keep the turbo on boost.

Top post, well explained! :thumb:
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby Sumo » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 pm

next time your lining up an overtaking manouver, give it a try, it takes a bit of practice but when you let your foot off the brake it feels like you have gained an extra 50 horses. The downside is that you'll need some new brakes a lot sooner, the upside is that you'll be on full boost a lot more!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:
Number 12 back with me after a 6 year break.
Sumo

Postby The Swede » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:10 pm

Sumo wrote:next time your lining up an overtaking manouver, give it a try, it takes a bit of practice but when you let your foot off the brake it feels like you have gained an extra 50 horses. The downside is that you'll need some new brakes a lot sooner, the upside is that you'll be on full boost a lot more!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Sumo... don't tell them to try tricks you're trying with your Volvo FH12. I'd like to come to a RR day, NOT to somebody's funeral ! :shake:

PS: Spike, the 1150 Miles is only Calais-Stockholm via the two ferry's (Germany-Denmark and Denmark-Sweden). Add 85 from London to Dover and about 400 from Southern Finland til here. Worth every mile though ! (if you're single)
That's why I couldn't get an Evo. No Ralliart approved dealers here and by the time I'd be here, I'd have to drive back for the next service :rofl:
The Swede

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm

chris's scooby wrote:
The Swede wrote::shock: I feel we're gonna be losing some WR1's in this process, but anyway...

It's fairly simple !

Top post, well explained! :thumb:

I agree, LOL at the first line, he must have thought " well at least im in another country when it all goes pare shaped "

Imagine explaining this to the police after a crash.

" The thing is theirs this site :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: "

Officer " ToreKens ?????"
Joseph
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Had to check my writing then, when i wrote torekin in full it read the swede.
Joseph
Joe

Next

Return to General Discussion