Login    Register

Time for New Exhaust System, Seeking Suggestions

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Time for New Exhaust System, Seeking Suggestions

Postby Hall12 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 am

I have two vehicles in our family fleet that are starting to growl after winter took its toll. I’m trying to figure out the best place to take to vehicles to get the exhaust systems replaced.

A mate at work suggested taking them to a local chain store, a place I have used for tires, but nothing else. I suspect they can handle the wife’s car fine, it’s just an everyday family car. What I’m worried about is my vehicle. Have any of you taken you pride and joy to a chain to have the exhaust system changed?

I’m not the kind of guy who wants to rip into this project on my own. I tinker with the engines a little, but I stay away from brakes, steering, and exhaust.

I can see the hole in my muffler. It's not big yet, but it is already big enough the volume is increasing and I suspect it will not pass MOT. The wife’s car has a hole a few inches before the muffler, but the muffler looks pretty rough, too.

On a lighter note, another mate offered to do the work for me. I almost said yes, but then remembered what his truck looks like. I always thought the phrase you could fix anything with duct tape and baling wire was just a joke, but I think it is his reality. His tailpipe is currently held in place with a piece of wire. I have no idea how he plans to pass an inspection.

My regular mechanic quoted me a price about 30% higher than quotes from chains, at least by the estimate I got from National. I did not go to their office, I just requested a quote online. It is possible my mechanic is figuring extra parts they did not include, too.

What direction do you guys suggest? Who is the best at exhaust systems?
Is National the best bet?
Hall12

Re: Time for New Exhaust System, Seeking Suggestions

Postby davetwr1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:09 pm

hi mate is it for the wr1 if so you will not go far wrong with rcm exhausts not cheap but you get what you pay for had mine done a while back and still happy :D
davetwr1

Postby W1 KRB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:16 pm

As a brand I've always rated milltek as a great exhaust, had a cat back on my evo and my old impreza, both made a great noise on throttle but on cruising was very tolerable
W1 KRB

Postby WR1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 pm

2nd vote for Milltek - spot on. Nice uplift in power, quiet when needed noisey enough when you want to have some fun.
Prodrive - RaceDynamix 346 bhp - WhiteLine - AP Racing - Milltek - Cosworth
WR1

Return to General Discussion