Login    Register

Garage dehumidifier

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Garage dehumidifier

Postby Gary75 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Just brought one the garage as the rh level was quite high 93%, should be around 45 to 60% which is a save rust free environment? Been running for three days and have collected 25ltrs

Park the one up over the winter period, to keep away from the salted roads only for the bloody thing to rust in my moisty damp garage?

Anyone else running the same?
Gary75

Re: Garage dehumidifier

Postby ktm jon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:36 am

air the garage as often as possible gary windy days are perfect
ktm jon

Postby Gary75 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:48 am

ktm jon wrote:air the garage as often as possible gary windy days are perfect

Yes i have good ventilation, but the roof is galvansied metal and heavly condensates come the colder weather. I need to insualte the roof at some stage to minimise that problem.
The dehumidifier has completely dried out the underside of the metal sheeting, so is doing its job. Emptied another 10ltr bucket this morning. i have 600 square foot to dry out so the bloody thing has been working overtime!!! At least my 1 is now being protected from the elements??
Gary75

Postby markywr1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I had one going for a while, did a decent enough job, and they obviously work as the amount of water it was collecting surprised me, but have you checked your electricity meter reading since you connected it? they gobble juice at a ridiculous rate! I checked on my energy monitor and it was doubling my normal usage. Also for one to work properly any gaps or vents need sealing up.
markywr1

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 pm

markywr1 wrote:I had one going for a while, did a decent enough job, and they obviously work as the amount of water it was collecting surprised me, but have you checked your electricity meter reading since you connected it? they gobble juice at a ridiculous rate! I checked on my energy monitor and it was doubling my normal usage. Also for one to work properly any gaps or vents need sealing up.

Ive got the unit now set on economy mode, the garage is completely dry including the steel roof. Cant beleive how much water ive collected. The unit in economy mode is supposed to consume the same kwh as a domestic fridge?? I think this method will be cheaper than an electric heater running constantly :?: Ill wait for the bill :shock:

The only caps are around the garage door etc, im just glad the area is now dry........
Gary75

Postby markywr1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Gary75 wrote:
markywr1 wrote:I had one going for a while, did a decent enough job, and they obviously work as the amount of water it was collecting surprised me, but have you checked your electricity meter reading since you connected it? they gobble juice at a ridiculous rate! I checked on my energy monitor and it was doubling my normal usage. Also for one to work properly any gaps or vents need sealing up.

Ive got the unit now set on economy mode, the garage is completely dry including the steel roof. Cant beleive how much water ive collected. The unit in economy mode is supposed to consume the same kwh as a domestic fridge?? I think this method will be cheaper than an electric heater running constantly :?: Ill wait for the bill :shock:

The only caps are around the garage door etc, im just glad the area is now dry........

I'd definitely keep a check on it, but as your now on top of it you should be ok on economy mode, i had mine on full 24/7 and didn't realise till i got my bill :wtf: but my problem is my garage is built into a embankment, so whenever there's any heavy rain it just seeps in. Iv'e now invested in an airchamber, maybe a bit OTT for a scooby but its an instant cure and they cost approx £30 per year to run
markywr1

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:32 pm

markywr1 wrote:
Gary75 wrote:

I'd definitely keep a check on it, but as your now on top of it you should be ok on economy mode, i had mine on full 24/7 and didn't realise till i got my bill :wtf: but my problem is my garage is built into a embankment, so whenever there's any heavy rain it just seeps in. Iv'e now invested in an airchamber, maybe a bit OTT for a scooby but its an instant cure and they cost approx £30 per year to run

The things we do to protect our pride and joys.... :D My girlfriend thinks im mad :?: Airchamber?? tell me more???
Gary75

Postby markywr1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Tell me about it my friends and neighbours think am crackers lol basically the airchamber is like a better version of the old car cacoon, 2 fans circulate air around giving a perfect enviroment apparently, and it also has a frame inside whereas the cacoon doesn't, so when you need to take the car out it would just deflate and collapse on the car
markywr1

Postby mossy1283 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:33 pm

markywr1 wrote:Tell me about it my friends and neighbours think am crackers lol basically the airchamber is like a better version of the old car cacoon, 2 fans circulate air around giving a perfect enviroment apparently, and it also has a frame inside whereas the cacoon doesn't, so when you need to take the car out it would just deflate and collapse on the car

Can air chambers be used outside? Would be an ideal option for me, plus my neighbours would think I'm crackers too but I quite like them thinking I'm mad. It keeps them from poking their nose in too much!
mossy1283

Postby markywr1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm

mossy1283 wrote:
markywr1 wrote:Tell me about it my friends and neighbours think am crackers lol basically the airchamber is like a better version of the old car cacoon, 2 fans circulate air around giving a perfect enviroment apparently, and it also has a frame inside whereas the cacoon doesn't, so when you need to take the car out it would just deflate and collapse on the car

Can air chambers be used outside? Would be an ideal option for me, plus my neighbours would think I'm crackers too but I quite like them thinking I'm mad. It keeps them from poking their nose in too much!

Just the way i feel :lol: there not suitable for outside but i believe 'Airflow' the company that supplies them are looking into it
markywr1

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/Car-Aircham ... sizes.html

Not a bad price to keep the car in tip top condition.

As for my neighbours. They don't understand and probably never will :wank:
Gary75

Postby mossy1283 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 pm

I will definitely be investing in one of these to put the car into hibernation. Hopefully they bring out an outdoor one though!
mossy1283

Return to General Discussion