Login    Register

Maybe time for some better wet weather tyres!

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Maybe time for some better wet weather tyres!

Postby mossy1283 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Driving home today and went round the roundabout at normal speed and the car gave out quite a nice front end slide as I turned to go around the roundabout, no dramas, managed to control it looking like a pro in front of the general public. But really inside my bum was going 50p - 5p!

Have been waiting for my spare set of wheels to come back as they are being refurbed and luckily am getting them on Sunday so is definitely time for some wet weather tyres! I'm looking at Pirelli P Zero Neros as I've heard good things but if anyone would recommend any more then please feel free to comment. I currently have the set of Yokohama Parada Spec 2's which came with the car but have been planning on having a winter/wet weather set on the spare wheels all along.

Are Pirelli Zero Nero's adequate for snow, if we ever get any?
mossy1283

Re: Maybe time for some better wet weather tyres!

Postby Megaman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm

mossy1283 wrote:Driving home today and went round the roundabout at normal speed and the car gave out quite a nice front end slide as I turned to go around the roundabout, no dramas, managed to control it looking like a pro in front of the general public. But really inside my bum was going 50p - 5p!

Have been waiting for my spare set of wheels to come back as they are being refurbed and luckily am getting them on Sunday so is definitely time for some wet weather tyres! I'm looking at Pirelli P Zero Neros as I've heard good things but if anyone would recommend any more then please feel free to comment. I currently have the set of Yokohama Parada Spec 2's which came with the car but have been planning on having a winter/wet weather set on the spare wheels all along.

Are Pirelli Zero Nero's adequate for snow, if we ever get any?

I have had Pirelli P Zero Neros on mine since I have had it as they are an all rounder tyre not bad in wet or dry but not as good as others. However they are not winter tyres, you should look at the winter makes like vredistan for something thats good in cold temps. Its the type of rubber that is used that effects how they grip on snow and in weather under about 10 degrees. However you will burn the tred off fairly quick when used in the dry. So probably want a set of winters for November - March then Summer tyres for the rest of the year. Pirellis like i said are an all rounder, probably slightly better than paradas in the wet but not night and day different.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Gary75 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm

I've always used Michelin tyres good all round tyres that last, my Focus has still got the original set on the back from 2005 when new, the car has covered 43000 miles, tread is still good but sidewalls are showing signs of age. I always seemed to have balancing issues with other makes of tyre hence sticking with Michelin.

I've got Bridgestone Potenza fitted to my 1, but the beast is currently parked up for winter, so cant comment on the handling characteristics of wet winter weather driving :wink:
Gary75

Postby mossy1283 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Hmmm right then, decisions decisions. Obviously so far this winter hasn't proven to be the coldest so I'm really thinking that I don't need that softest of tyres. Really I'm thinking of a good tyre that will handle the wet but not be too soft. I never thought it would be this difficult trying to find a tyre! Obviously the car deserves some good shoes though and especially in crap weather I want to feel it will handle its best. I think I will take your advice mega and look at Vredestein as they have had pretty good reviews for wet weather tyres. I did look into Michelin too, so maybe next year if I don't get on with Vredesteins I will look at Michelin.
mossy1283

Postby Gary75 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:47 pm

mossy1283 wrote:Hmmm right then, decisions decisions. Obviously so far this winter hasn't proven to be the coldest so I'm really thinking that I don't need that softest of tyres. Really I'm thinking of a good tyre that will handle the wet but not be too soft. I never thought it would be this difficult trying to find a tyre! Obviously the car deserves some good shoes though and especially in crap weather I want to feel it will handle its best. I think I will take your advice mega and look at Vredestein as they have had pretty good reviews for wet weather tyres. I did look into Michelin too, so maybe next year if I don't get on with Vredesteins I will look at Michelin.

Ive had the same problem before choosing tyres, everyone has a different opinion and recommendations, the same problem with oil brands and viscosity..

You cant go wrong with Michelin tyres, good grip wet or dry and excellent tread life. They may cost a little more but once fitted and balanced you shouldnt have any problems for a good 25000 to 30000 miles :?:
Gary75

Postby scoobychris555 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 am

Hey just my opinion but I find Eagle F1's to be excellent all rounders, had a set just before xmas last year, couldnt fault them for the winter, spot on.
scoobychris555

Postby SteveS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 pm

I drive on Pirrelli P Zero Neros all year round, there again, I dont drive like a divi in the poor weather conditions, I dont drive to the edge of the envelope when there is ice and snow on the road. Leave that sh1t to the track and enjoy the experience..........
SteveS

Postby mossy1283 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 am

SteveS wrote:I drive on Pirrelli P Zero Neros all year round, there again, I dont drive like a divi in the poor weather conditions, I dont drive to the edge of the envelope when there is ice and snow on the road. Leave that sh1t to the track and enjoy the experience..........

It's not that I drive like a Divi, Having 2 sets of wheels I can utilise one pair to have better wet weather tyres. Because if the problem arose that I did have to brake hard or swerve to avoid someone and my tyres didn't perform because they weren't suited to that environment, I would be a little bit miffed about losing my pride and joy. I could get a decent all rounder but having the other set of wheels, I would rather get tyres for wet weather too.
mossy1283

Postby Gary75 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:38 pm

But dont forget, the arsehole's who couldnt give a shit about tyres, he or she runs around on slicks all year round, is most likly to run into the back of you or me, which in a sense makes the likes of us who do bother about tyres and spend a foutune trying to keep safe, No point :down:
Gary75

Postby asperformance » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 pm

disagree Gary, at least if i use the "correct" type of tyre i can keep my family safe and ensure i reach my journeys end rather than be stuck on some frozen hillside somewhere.................
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby mossy1283 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18 pm

asperformance wrote:disagree Gary, at least if i use the "correct" type of tyre i can keep my family safe and ensure i reach my journeys end rather than be stuck on some frozen hillside somewhere.................

Your not wrong there, plus if someone ploughs into the back of me and I find its their tyres at fault and that they were tail gating me then we will have and interesting encounter! :evil:
mossy1283

Postby Gary75 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:32 pm

mossy1283 wrote:
asperformance wrote:disagree Gary, at least if i use the "correct" type of tyre i can keep my family safe and ensure i reach my journeys end rather than be stuck on some frozen hillside somewhere.................

Your not wrong there, plus if someone ploughs into the back of me and I find its their tyres at fault and that they were tail gating me then we will have and interesting encounter! :evil:

Im just saying i / we spend time sourcing the right brand of tyre to accommodate driving style, dry or wet weather use etc, only to find some knob who cant be bothered spending time and money, runs into the back of you :o The good tyres wont stop this scenario.
Gary75

Postby mossy1283 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Gary75 wrote:
mossy1283 wrote:

Im just saying i / we spend time sourcing the right brand of tyre to accommodate driving style, dry or wet weather use etc, only to find some knob who cant be bothered spending time and money, runs into the back of you :o The good tyres wont stop this scenario.

True but we still should make an effort and not join them in having crap tyres too
mossy1283

Postby Gee Wr1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Pzero nero's are a fantastic all rounder tyre, decent grip, wear etc. If you do trackdays you will find they overheat quite quickly but this isn't an issue on the road. Highly recommended.

Goodyear F1's are another good tyre far softer compound than the nero's but with them being softer i tend to shread the outside shoulders of the fronts on the all weather chipped road surfaces we have up here (might just be my cornering speeds lol)

Currently got Toyo T1R's on and love them, kinda of a in between the above two tyres has the tusk pattern like the f1 but has a banded shoulder like the nero's so wear better than the f1's. Grip is great but i will warn you they take a while to scrub in when fitted, for the 1st few hundred miles on them i though they were terrible then suddenly they came good.
Gee Wr1

Postby BIG"E" » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Gee Wr1 wrote:Pzero nero's are a fantastic all rounder tyre, decent grip, wear etc. If you do trackdays you will find they overheat quite quickly but this isn't an issue on the road. Highly recommended.

Goodyear F1's are another good tyre far softer compound than the nero's but with them being softer i tend to shread the outside shoulders of the fronts on the all weather chipped road surfaces we have up here (might just be my cornering speeds lol)

Currently got Toyo T1R's on and love them, kinda of a in between the above two tyres has the tusk pattern like the f1 but has a banded shoulder like the nero's so wear better than the f1's. Grip is great but i will warn you they take a while to scrub in when fitted, for the 1st few hundred miles on them i though they were terrible then suddenly they came good.

Agreed 100%

I am currently running on T1Rs but I am going to give the Hankook V12s a try next, as its getting difficult to get T1Rs
BIG"E"

Postby simon.r » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Gary75 wrote:But dont forget, the arsehole's who couldnt give a shit about tyres, he or she runs around on slicks all year round, is most likly to run into the back of you or me, which in a sense makes the likes of us who do bother about tyres and spend a foutune trying to keep safe, No point :down:

I have thought about this too. -

There is no doubt that the government has a part to play. Something that would really help the UK is legislation. A number of other EU countries have made the use of winter tyres a legal requirement and many offer specific winter recommendations. Im sure this would avoid alot of incidents.
simon.r

Postby W1 KRB » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm

T1r's get my vote too, put a full set on my blob sti and evo 8 when I brought them, never let me down!
W1 KRB

Postby Megaman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm

simon.r wrote:
Gary75 wrote:But dont forget, the arsehole's who couldnt give a shit about tyres, he or she runs around on slicks all year round, is most likly to run into the back of you or me, which in a sense makes the likes of us who do bother about tyres and spend a foutune trying to keep safe, No point :down:

I have thought about this too. -

There is no doubt that the government has a part to play. Something that would really help the UK is legislation. A number of other EU countries have made the use of winter tyres a legal requirement and many offer specific winter recommendations. Im sure this would avoid alot of incidents.

Near impossible task for the government to force a brief selection of tyres to be used on every car out there, by the time they get round to testing all tyre types on a model of car, the car will be out of date and superseeded.

Forcing "Winter tyres" in winter would be a good idea though as these tyres use a different type of rubber designed to work much better under 10degrees and do actually work really well.

Speaking of tyres, anyone noticed that these green cars like the bluemotions and ecomotions whatever they are that do great mpg have skinny thin tyres that are designed to give less grip, thus less friction making better economy?
All well and good but the stopping distances on these cars can be up to tripple the standard none eco-version of the car. Also in wet weather conditions and winter conditions these cars become rather lethal. Im surprised the government is letting the car manufacturers get away with it.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Gee Wr1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:01 am

Actually thin skinny tyres are better in the snow as they bite in more rather than float ontop the snow like wide wheels. If you don't believe me check out pics of a wrc cars tyres for likes of the sweedish rally, Ok they have spikes aswell but thats for max grip.

New BRZ & GT86 both have the Prius's eco tyres fitted and half the fun of the car is supposed to be from lack of traction they provide making it easy to slide a low speeds.
Gee Wr1

Postby chiroman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:06 pm

chiroman

Return to General Discussion