Login    Register

WR1 in winter??

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
WR1 in winter??

Postby DCFCtom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi guys,

Seeing as ive not long had the 1 and with winter coming up I was wondering just how good are these machines actually are in the snow???

Id love to be able to get a second car to run or just winter tyres but thats just not something that i can afford to do. Ive never had 4wd before so dont know what to expect :oops:
Ive always had small clio sized cars to control which is easy. Surley with 340 ponies and slush there is still a risk il get stuck or are they really that impressive il only have to worry about others on the road??? :wink:

Tom
DCFCtom

Postby BIG"E" » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm

The scoobs are very good in the snow and you will be able to pass most other motors when they get stuck.

BUT you do need good tyres to start with,

Its all well and good being able to go most places but some time or another you will also need to stop, if the ABS comes on be very careful at low speeds.
BIG"E"

Postby Megaman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 pm

The WR1 is great in the light snow. I have always found it gets up hills fine but like every other car, it cant stop on the down hills. Lock the diff for snow use and your laughing even on normal tyres most of the time. Winter tyres certainly recommended if you can stretch the budget. However as always its not you that is the problem in snow, its all the other divs on the road that dont have a clue.

If the snow is more than 3inches deep the car turns into a snow plough given its low front end and then gets stuck very easily. if you have coilovers and adjustable anti roll bars for snow id soften the settings, and raise the ride height.

Enjoy! :D
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby ktm jon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 am

great advice guys but i;ll stick to my diddy van [nissan vanette] if she crashes it i;ll beat her and buy another :lol:
ktm jon

Postby DCFCtom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:29 pm

yeah thanks for the replies. Tbh i start work at 5 in the morning so have the road to myself anyway but I couldnt bare the thought of getting stuck and leaving it where it was till it thawed lol. I guess its my lack of talent that will be more of a problem :lol:
DCFCtom

Postby Gee Wr1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm

If your in that there englandshire you have no worries with the amount of snow you get lol. I know how england grinds to a halt if you get more than 1cm of snow :lol:
Sorry serious answer they are fantastic, i don't bother with winter tires even with the snow we get up here as long as you have a decent tread depth and the tires are not near the end of their life. Locking the diff will get you through most stuff just mind to switch to auto when your parking/turning at very low speeds. Be very gentle on throttle in 1st and 2nd gears trying to stay of boost as it will just spin up the wheels and piroet(sp?) if not, even in higher gears be gentle and progressive with the throttle.
As mentioned above the danger is the abs kicking in when braking nothing more scary than feeling the pedal kicking back as you try and brake! Slow well before junctions etc and use your gears and engine braking to slow you as much as possible.
Best thing is to find an open area/ carpark with no kerbs to have a little play in to explore and get used to it in snow.
Gee Wr1

Postby SteveS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Agree with the above post. Your sphincter sensor will tell you when it's time to brake followed by your wallet alarm. Keep it smooth, keep some distance, that way you'll keep it for next year. Loads of cocks out there who drive with their thumb up their bum, so get a GoPro for insurance purposes. :D
SteveS

Postby DCFCtom » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm

excellent advice guys thanks very much. Lot more settled with the idea now at least. Cant wait lol
DCFCtom

Postby Loco2527 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 am

On a less serious note, it's a great time to practice your drifting without having to floor the accelerator, or destroy your tyres!
Loco2527

Postby SteveS » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Loco2527 wrote:On a less serious note, it's a great time to practice your drifting without having to floor the accelerator, or destroy your tyres!

Totally agree Loco, if you want to feel how your one handles in snow/ice find a clear car park and give it some spin..............Just dont take your lady in the passenger seat, I did last year and......wellll..............wet seat if yer know what I mean...............WIMIN :roll: :roll: :lol:
SteveS

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 am

tyres, tyres and tyres...

AWD is no good in any conditions if you don't have the right footwear on in the first place.

You really get a feel for the crappy understeery nature of the car in slippy conditions, and soon learn to use the slow in, fast out approach and tickle the throttle through the corners to keep the balance right.

Diff lock is a beaut, BUT just like a quad bike, you really have to throw it about to point it where you want it.
CAVEMAN

Postby simon.r » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Can someone please explain what setting is the best?
simon.r

Postby Gary75 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:10 am

simon.r wrote:Can someone please explain what setting is the best?

Yes park it up for winter... That's the best setting :lol:
Gary75

Postby Megaman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:22 pm

simon.r wrote:Can someone please explain what setting is the best?

Which setting are you referring to?
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Return to General Discussion