Login    Register

Do`s And Dont`s With Your WR1

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Do`s And Dont`s With Your WR1

Postby WillyWonker WR1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 am

I've a WR 1 and thought I would ask for advise and would like to know a few (what to do's and dont's) with her as I wouldn't want to break it lol so fill free to let me know what other owners do with theirs please
WillyWonker WR1

Postby Matty WR1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 am

Personal thoughts,

Do -
Always use Optimax
Always warm up
Always cool down
Get a booty for your gear knob, as any rings will scratch
Check your levels/pressures etc
From time to time set your rev change light to 3500rpm and drive real chilled ;)
Drive with the diff in open position - roller all the way back, switched and the O showing on the display
And enjoy it :D

Don't -
Ever use normal octane fuel
Drive hard when cold
Just park up after a spirited drive
Let anyone else drive your motor
Take it to the red line
Take through a carwash
Drive with the diff in full lock unless on snow/loose ground
Drive like a tool with an unmarked police car behind you :( :(

:D :D
Last edited by Matty WR1 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matty WR1

Postby Megaman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Good list matt - Dont leave the DCCD in locked mode when driving slowly or parking up as you can break the diff.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Matty WR1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Megaman wrote:Good list matt - Dont leave the DCCD in locked mode when driving slowly or parking up as you can break the diff.

edited ;)
Matty WR1

Postby Megaman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Dont forget:

DO get the missus to cook a batch of muffins to bring to the next WR1oc event :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Matty WR1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Megaman wrote:Dont forget:

DO get the missus to cook a batch of muffins to bring to the next WR1oc event :lol:

Yes mate!!! Can't make next weekend, but will keep my eyes open for the next gathering :)
Matty WR1

Postby WillyWonker WR1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Yea I'm on holiday for 2 weeks so I miss next weeks meet but I'm defo going to the next 1, I will get her to cook muffins lol and when u say lock what about leaving the diff in auto, plus how long do u let her cool down for and warm up for, I thought v-power was the better petrol and keep the helpful info coming as it all helps :P :P and I've got the rev limiter set at 4 as I don't drive her hard which is pretty funny as all the peeps facea light up in there s**t boxes when they over take a WR1 thinking they r something special lol
WillyWonker WR1

Postby BIG"E" » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Personally I nearly always leave the DCCD in auto,

That way you wont fook the diff up, if you forget change the DCCD

back in to auto before reversing.
BIG"E"

Postby Gee Wr1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Matty WR1 wrote:Personal thoughts,

Do -
Always use Optimax
Always warm up
Always cool down
From time to time set your rev change light to 3500rpm and drive real chilled ;)
Drive with the diff in open position - roller all the way back, switched and the O showing on the display

Don't -
Drive hard when cold
Take it to the red line
Take through a carwash

Decent list there Matty :D
Redlineing it does no harm every now & then, clears out the cobwebs :lol: The limiter is there to stop you over revving the engine, i've hit it a few times over the years :lol:

"Drive like a tool with the trotters of doom are behind you" Like when i moved of slowly in 1st from the lights then nailed it under the Eastgate shopping centre tunnel on a sat afternoon with lots of shoppers around making them jump with a big pop bang then realising the car behind you is a police car :shock: Fair play to them they drew along side me on the duel carriageway after gave me a big grin & carried on their way, i thought i was gonna get the book thrown at me! Goes to show there are some decent ones out there 8) ps at no point did i break the speed limit when i did it, truth.

To add to the do's list- Find some good twisty b roads its the best fun you can have and you don't have to be driving fast to enjoy doing it.

While on twisty b roads annoy the guys on the big bikes who are trying to take of from you/ overtake you by showing them you can corner faster than them :lol:

Don'ts- Drive beyond your limit the 1 gives lots of confidence with the amount of grip it has, just don't ever get over confident.
Gee Wr1

Postby Chris 280 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 pm

good lists there ,all i,d add is try and go to bruntinghthorpe and just see how good the 1 is and how it handles(youll be surprised how much fun you can have standard) :lol: and meet lots of nice people too :wink:
it is better to have had a wr1 and lost it than never to have one at all.
Chris 280

Postby Matty WR1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Gee Wr1 wrote:
"Drive like a tool with the trotters of doom are behind you" Like when i moved of slowly in 1st from the lights then nailed it under the Eastgate shopping centre tunnel on a sat afternoon with lots of shoppers around making them jump with a big pop bang then realising the car behind you is a police car :shock: Fair play to them they drew along side me on the duel carriageway after gave me a big grin & carried on their way, i thought i was gonna get the book thrown at me! Goes to show there are some decent ones out there 8) ps at no point did i break the speed limit when i did it, truth.

dude, you were lucky!

I was not so...... hence why I've been a little quiet....

driving like a tool at silly 'spirited' speed and got pulled - no excuses and lucky to get an absolute dressing down and warning only! lesson very much learnt and do not want to revisit that again! I'll share the story when I meet up with you guys next....
Matty WR1

Postby Gee Wr1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Yeah think we all have a story where we thiink how the f*** did we get away with that!

Learnt my lesson years ago before i had scoobs when i got caught twice in as many weeks speeding. Learnt there was a time and a place for fun and public roads is not the place to do it. It set my plans for a scoob back a few years as insurance was to high with 6 points from two sp30's. I've never been one to speed in towns though even as a youngster thats stupid and dangerous! Both times i was caught were on quiet main roads.

I'm a good boy now :wink: :D
Gee Wr1

Postby WillyWonker WR1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Matty WR1 wrote:Personal thoughts,

Do -
Always use Optimax
Always warm up
Always cool down

Don't -
Drive hard when cold
Take it to the red line
Take through a carwash

i do use the best petrol and how long do u let it warm up for and warm down for, people have said about using v-power or tesco stuff plus i do leave the diff in auto so will damage it lol im getting good info from peeps on here and its all being stored in me head, we r off to cornwall this weekend so there will be lots of b-roads woop woop
WillyWonker WR1

Postby mckenzie97k » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:46 pm

When is the next wr1 owners event I'll bring some muffins lol. Just adding to the do list. Have it serviced as per the schedule and don't scrimp on the oil!!!
HAD MORE CARS THAN I CAN REMEMBER......
THE BEST WERE ALWAYS THE FAST ONES!

AND NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A BEAST!
mckenzie97k

Postby WillyWonker WR1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 pm

well its done 57,000 so the next will be a cam belt i think and a full service :D :D
WillyWonker WR1

Postby BIG"E" » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm

The cam belt should have been changed already,

Every 5 years or 50,000 miles.

Which ever comes first.
BIG"E"

Postby WillyWonker WR1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Cheers that Mckenzie, I should of know that as it's got a full service history and the previous owner kept every receipt for the work he had done, next 3k will be the ever 5k service :D
WillyWonker WR1

Return to General Discussion