Login    Register

Speeding

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Speeding

Postby Bonovox » Tue May 24, 2011 10:56 am

Heading out a new bit of carriageway today which has recently been changed from a 70 speed limit to a (feels like your going backwards) 40 speed limit. :evil:
Road was empty ahead, plodding along at just above the limit thinking that the "legal speed limit applies" sign was getting closer and that I would be able to floor it soon when I caught a glimpse of a Speed camera van tucked back off the road. I think I must have been doing about 45ish max would that be in their tolerances or have I earned my first 3 points? :evil: (never seen a flash would that matter?)
Bonovox

Postby Clark » Tue May 24, 2011 11:31 am

I'd have said at 45 max you should be ok hopefully mate.
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby Megaman » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Different areas have different rules, the North Yorkshire rules are 10% + 2. So in a 40 zone 44mph + 2 = 46mph, anything more and ya get a ticket.

Hate those vans that don't play fair and hide to catch you speeding.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Tue May 24, 2011 5:42 pm

If you are only 6-7mph over the limit you get the option of going on a "driver education course" (aka plod money making scheme) which costs you £80 I think?!? but you don't get points if you go on it....

The course is a waste of time, apparently.... mate of mine got a speeding ticket on the way back from his :lol:
John Mc

Postby SteveS » Tue May 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Mc Tiddler: Gay And Proud wrote:If you are only 6-7mph over the limit you get the option of going on a "driver education course" (aka plod money making scheme) which costs you £80 I think?!? but you don't get points if you go on it....

The course is a waste of time, apparently.... mate of mine got a speeding ticket on the way back from his :lol:

It's £90 down this way now, well times are hard and they have to find the dosh to keep all them STI's, BM's & RRovers on the road (along with the VW R32) Perhaps we should invite them all to Bruntingthorpe :noway:
SteveS

Re: Speeding

Postby eck » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Bonovox wrote:Heading out a new bit of carriageway today which has recently been changed from a 70 speed limit to a (feels like your going backwards) 40 speed limit. :evil:
Road was empty ahead, plodding along at just above the limit thinking that the "legal speed limit applies" sign was getting closer and that I would be able to floor it soon when I caught a glimpse of a Speed camera van tucked back off the road. I think I must have been doing about 45ish max would that be in their tolerances or have I earned my first 3 points? :evil: (never seen a gash would that matter?)

Don't really think that is relevant do you?
The WR1 be safe in the knowledge that, short of strapping yourself to an Acme rocket, there's no quicker way to get from A to B.
eck

Postby MaverickUK82 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I got caught doing 90 in a 70. Or that's what they clocked me at. Speedo said 85 when I actually spotted him.

Chatting with him, he told me that they give 10%, i.e, anything over 77 and I'd have been ticketed.

So, in theory, your 45 would see you with a ticket.

However, the WR1's speedos are quite out, doing 76 on the clock will see GPS 70 (on mine anyway), so you'll probably be o.k...

Down our way, they give you the option of doing the speed awareness course if you are over 10% +9mph over the speed limit (this has just been increase,d it used to be 10% +3mph)

http://norfolk-safety-camera.org.uk/ind ... speedaware

IT means you don't take the points or £60 fine, but you have to pay £120 for the course and take a day off work!
MaverickUK82

Postby MaverickUK82 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Keep us posted!
MaverickUK82

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Was there speed camera signs up ? If not its deemed unfair, plus was the van in clear view, there not allowed to be camouflaged by scenary etc.

But 45 on speedo will see a 42 according to ours using gps
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Re: Speeding

Postby Bonovox » Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 pm

eck wrote:
Bonovox wrote:Heading out a new bit of carriageway today which has recently been changed from a 70 speed limit to a (feels like your going backwards) 40 speed limit. :evil:
Road was empty ahead, plodding along at just above the limit thinking that the "legal speed limit applies" sign was getting closer and that I would be able to floor it soon when I caught a glimpse of a Speed camera van tucked back off the road. I think I must have been doing about 45ish max would that be in their tolerances or have I earned my first 3 points? :evil: (never seen a gash would that matter?)

Don't really think that is relevant do you?

:lol: :lol2: :lol:

Was there speed camera signs up ? If not its deemed unfair, plus was the van in clear view, there not allowed to be camouflaged by scenary etc.

No there was no signs at all and they were well hidden, tucked into a small lane. :brick:
Bonovox

Postby zedder » Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 pm

i got 3 points and a fine for doing 34 in a 30 :cry: could have gone to one of them safety meetings but couldnt be arsed to go tbh plus it was held 70miles away !! the camera was one of them grey boxes that look like electric boxes there all over the coastal roads in east yorkshire!! but they get away with using them cos there are speed camera signs dotted about !! i always thought they had to be yellow and visible, but thats not the case as i found out to my cost!! :roll:
zedder

Postby Clark » Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 pm

As far as I'm aware Grampian Police have chosen not to give people the option of going on the education course - I wonder why??
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby Steveyk » Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 pm

One word- BAAAAAAAAAAAAASTARDS!

Love it when they drop a speed limit and then spend two weeks with a half-hidden camera van catching all the evil villains doing 10mph over the new limit. :x
Steveyk

Postby John Mc » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Clark wrote:As far as I'm aware Grampian Police have chosen not to give people the option of going on the education course - I wonder why??

Because they are all too pissed?
John Mc

Postby presa900 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

The Camera Vans operate video not photographic evidence, so the moment you see them it is usually too late as they often zoom a short distance down the road.

They will then send you a freeze frame image as photographic evidence if you request it.

Money grabbing bastards :roll:
Previous Owner of #216
presa900

Postby John Mc » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

I would like to know how a single photograph proves you were speeding.

It is just a moment in time!

I'd also like to know how they confirm that the laser dot from the gun is exactly where the video is recording when you are 100+m away.... it is OK when you setup trials for approval in a laboratory but when you are hiding in a layby and you've spilt coffee over the camera and the fat fooks are chowing down on their bacon rolls, the laser could be 30m away through someone's bedroom window on some hairy arse pounding up and down on a prossy :lol:
John Mc

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu May 26, 2011 6:38 pm

IIRC they set the camera distances between 2 white squares that are marked on the road, the car going over 1st WS and calculates your speed going when over the 2nd WS... :?

So in effect if your doing 45 in a 40 and slow down enough before you go over 2nd WS you may get away with it !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu May 26, 2011 6:39 pm

2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Megaman » Thu May 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Wouldn't be worried about the helicopters, not many can keep up with a car doing 150mph :)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:IIRC they set the camera distances between 2 white squares that are marked on the road, the car going over 1st WS and calculates your speed going when over the 2nd WS... :?

So in effect if your doing 45 in a 40 and slow down enough before you go over 2nd WS you may get away with it !

I got caught between these 1/4mile white sqaures. Unmarked scooby too. Took him 4 miles to catch me up, when he stopped me he said I had averaged 96mph over the distance and all he had was a picture of my car crossing the 2nd sqaure. I didn't argue about the "tolerances" of whether his eyes were calibrated when he saw me passing the first square and also the time taken to press the start and stop timer as I was doing well over 96 racing a bike :lol:

So these squares are wrong. FACT :lol:
John Mc

Postby WR 1mposter » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Mc Tiddler: Gay And Proud wrote:
WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:IIRC they set the camera distances between 2 white squares that are marked on the road, the car going over 1st WS and calculates your speed going when over the 2nd WS... :?

I got caught between these 1/4mile white sqaures. Unmarked scooby too. Took him 4 miles to catch me up, when he stopped me he said I had averaged 96mph over the distance and all he had was a picture of my car crossing the 2nd sqaure. I didn't argue about the "tolerances" of whether his eyes were calibrated when he saw me passing the first square and also the time taken to press the start and stop timer as I was doing well over 96 racing a bike :lol:

So these squares are wrong. FACT :lol:

pmsl !

Someone I know, slip road onto by-pass look over shoulder 1 car coming..riding hayabusa, nailed it after a few moments look in mirror behind in distance blue flashing light, slow down pull into layby, asked what speed got toas was out of radar scope before average could be taken...onwed upto180mph at least your honest here's a 96mph 3 points or court and defo goto jail :lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way this was not me :lol: :lol: :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Bonovox » Fri May 27, 2011 10:40 am

The bastards are at it on the same stretch off the road again. :evil:
This time there were 2 of them in florescent jackets with a speed gun so they stuck out like a sore thumb.
I was only doing 40 but someone points that thing at you makes you slow down even more, so passed them smiling at 35 :twisted:
Bonovox

Postby presa900 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 pm

A camera van is the same as a copper pointing a laser radar gun at you, just the lazy fookwits use video to record the evidence rather than pull you over there and then.

Useful info here.....
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/mobile-speed-camera.htm

I remember the story about someone who flicked the finger with both hands at a camera van and got a ticket for driving without due care and attention :lol:
Previous Owner of #216
presa900

Postby Megaman » Fri May 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Thats good going John although the police only tend to drive WRX's round our neck of the woods, id think a standard WR1 would give them a run for their money :)

180mph by the bottom of a sliproad on a bike! :shock:
How do you hold on at those speeds, must be a right adrenaline rush! :)

It cant be illegal to just park in front of these vans and block their view when ever you see one. Just completel block the view, open the boot, walk off and see if they get the message and move lol.

Have seen road rage in Bradford against one copper sat in the back of his van drinking a cupper whilst pointing his camera down the road and what i can only describe as a pack of youths surrounding his van rocking it and banging on the side. Was SO tempted to get my phone out and take a pic but thought he might snap me doing it, plus 30 secs later i heard sirens screaming towards him. Can only imagine the radio call "NEED FECKIN BACKUP!!!"
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Return to General Discussion