Login    Register

Wr1 or 07sti ppp hawk

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Wr1 or 07sti ppp hawk

Postby typeukppp05 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:45 am

Hi I'm looking for advice please.
Why does the wr1 need a service every 5000 miles? What's differant mechanically?
Will the wr1 be similer to drive compared to my 05 stippp?
I take it that the wr1 will hold it's price better than a hawk even though it' looks identical to an rb320'
last question!
Was there any common faults on the wr1,s and is there a mk1/2?
Thanks James
I'm looking into 181no as it seems a clean car.
typeukppp05

Postby The Swede » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 am

1. A WR1 is a normal STi with a PPP, Prodrive springs, 18" alloys and a few visual goodies. If you have a 2005 PPP with these on and the extra 10bhp (although a few here didn't quite reach the 316bhp when they went to the dyno...), there is no reason the car should drive any different.

2. The hawke-eye had a 2.5 engine which was more torquey but less explosive in its power delivery.

In the end, mod'ing a scoob is fairly easy and you can get any scoob to drive how you want it to drive.
The Swede

Postby John Mc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:59 pm

There were only 500 WR1's made, and there is only 1 model. Many have beed modified now (from cosmetics to full stip and engine upgrades) so you'll do well to find a 'completely' standard one.

As Swede said, they are probably the same to drive and if you don't like the way it handles etc then you can modify them easily and you are basically limited by your imagination and ultimately your wallet! :lol:

They are likely to be cheaper to insure than a PPP'd STi because the 316BHP WR1 is a 'standard' out of the box car with no mods... insurers class the PPP'd Sti as a modified car because the PPP was added after it rolled off the production line... I'm sure others will add more detail, my experience is limited to dogging in supermarket car parks :lol:
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:16 pm

If you like to rev it all the way to get the power go for a WR1

RB320 is a lazy keep the revs low use the torque car but runs out of puff top end
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby typeukppp05 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:55 pm

What will hold onto its price better?
Is there any problems with the WR1 I should be aware of?
Why does it need a service every 5 years? There must be something mechanically different?

If anyone knows of someone with a clean WR1 preferably standard with less than 30k please pm me as I need a car within 2 weeks!!! :wink:
typeukppp05

Postby Megaman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:18 pm

typeukppp05 wrote:What will hold onto its price better?
Is there any problems with the WR1 I should be aware of?
Why does it need a service every 5 years? There must be something mechanically different?

If anyone knows of someone with a clean WR1 preferably standard with less than 30k please pm me as I need a car within 2 weeks!!! :wink:

I bought my WR1 the same time as my father in law bought a RB320. Both cars have depreciated at the same rate. RB320 is obviously more money to buy, more refined and comfier, looks quite mean and aggressive compared to WR1. WR1 is more of a go-kart to drive around in but you are more in touch with the road from my experience of driving both cars regularly.

Problems as mentioned on scoobynet look out for knocking rear struts and a warn clutch. You might also want to ensure the Diff is working okay by putting the dccd to manual fully open position and seeing if you get any clunks when turning sharp corners at crawl speeds.

With regards to servicing every 5 years, i dont know where you got that idea from. The WR1 is every 5,000 miles - just an oil change... the RB320 is every 10,000 miles. Being a 2.5L it doesnt work as hard and as such doesnt need the oil change as regularly. Mechanically not a lot different over a STI PPP. Keeping regular oil changes on the 2.0 L engine thats highly tuned improves the life of the engine and ensures your performance is always up to scratch.

HTH

Megaman
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby asperformance » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 pm

IMO the 5000mile servic interval would apply to all Subaru Turbo engines regardless of what IM say..........the internals are very similiar spec wise (apart from the obvious capacity difference) and the main reason the service interval has grown over the years is more to do with keeping the fleet market happy!!!

at the end of the day you are buying a high performance vehicle and as such it will take more looking after than a Tesco chariot -if you think of the cost of overhauling/repairing engine problems then a decent oil change here and there is a minor penalty
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby typeukppp05 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Please pm me if you are thinking of selling your car or know of someone with a mint WR1 for sale. I have just sold mine so have the cash to do a quick deal!!
I missed out on a good one on piston heads!!
typeukppp05

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Megaman wrote: You might also want to ensure the Diff is working okay by putting the dccd to manual fully open position and seeing if you get any clunks when turning sharp corners at crawl speeds.

:?

All WR1's an STi's with dccd knock when engaged at slow full lock turns, far as I'm aware the only time they dont is when in auto !

Unless yours does'nt Mega, which to me would mean yours is broke :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby John Mc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:58 am

typeukppp05 wrote:Please pm me if you are thinking of selling your car or know of someone with a mint WR1 for sale. I have just sold mine so have the cash to do a quick deal!!
I missed out on a good one on piston heads!!

Have you seen WelshWR1 (I think)... he may be looking to sell his and it has very low miles... There is a thread on here about it just this week!
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:57 am

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:
Megaman wrote: You might also want to ensure the Diff is working okay by putting the dccd to manual fully open position and seeing if you get any clunks when turning sharp corners at crawl speeds.

:?

All WR1's an STi's with dccd knock when engaged at slow full lock turns, far as I'm aware the only time they dont is when in auto !

Unless yours does'nt Mega, which to me would mean yours is broke :lol:

Not tried it myself tbh - just leave it in auto as it does the job for me :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby hightower » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:58 am

if a blob ee it has to be the wr1 and hawkeye i like the spec c and obviously the rb320.
drive wise the wr1 is more brutal in acceleration but the rb320 handles better point to point nothing in them
Gracing the drive.....BMW M3 E92 with all the toys!/Integra DC5/ Integra DC2 race car/BMW X5
gone...Impreza RB320 No 112
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Seat Leon Cupra 225
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Postby zedder » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:40 pm

the 05 sti with ppp as stock should be as good if not better than a wr1 as it has the dccd and a revised wider rear track to improve the handling!! the wr1 is desireable because its a limited addition !! services should be the same !! the 2ltr engine is more bombproof than the 2.5ltr thats why the jdm spec c hawkeyes have them !! i got the wr1 cos r lass liked the colour lol :lol:
zedder

Postby dynamix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:58 pm

asperformance wrote:IMO the 5000mile servic interval would apply to all Subaru Turbo engines regardless of what IM say..........the internals are very similiar spec wise (apart from the obvious capacity difference) and the main reason the service interval has grown over the years is more to do with keeping the fleet market happy!!!

at the end of the day you are buying a high performance vehicle and as such it will take more looking after than a Tesco chariot -if you think of the cost of overhauling/repairing engine problems then a decent oil change here and there is a minor penalty

agreed
Duncan : www.racedynamix.com
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
dynamix

Return to General Discussion