Login    Register

Computer Issues - Geeks needed

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Computer Issues - Geeks needed

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

as above...got a new PC and I am scraching my head about how to get all my monitors working.

it has 2x fx5800 cards, but for some reason the 2nd card is saying it can only support 1 monitor on the GPU - whereas the 1st card is powering 2 monitors with no issues at all.

got lastest nVidia drivers (I know that is risky in itself)...turned off SLi mode and PhyX engine..

cards are all showing correct EDID and native resolutions...but it won't power the damn 4th panel!!

any thoughts? and forget support with nVidia...
CAVEMAN

Postby Megaman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:09 pm

i take it you have a decent quad SLI rated PSU in there running at around 1000W to power 4 monitors?

what operating system you running?

will this tool help?
http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Yeah, its a Lenovo D20 with dual i7's in there and 192Gb of RAM, so plenty enough to output 4 displays...the cards even have 4Gb of RAM onboard anyways. Essntially its an internal QuadroPlex set up.

PSU is just over 1kW so has enough juice to power the 2 graphics cards no probs. The fx5800 has 2 power connectors so you usually get a warning when they don't get enough.

Its running Win7 64 bit, and the nVidia control panel isn't the same as XP or Vista so I can't have horizontal span or overlaps anymore but it should still power 4 monitors OK i would of thought.

Frigged if I know...time to start swapping DVI cables and see if its a faulty card or not. bollox.
CAVEMAN

Postby Megaman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 pm

try swapping card slots on the board to see if both sockets work on the second card...

normally multiple displays are easy to get working but ive not tried more than 3 for a while.

one other thing might be worth seeing if nvidia have any beta drivers to try for win 7...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 pm

did all that mate..swapped cards over and tried swapping displays too

all the same crap..installed older drivers as is usually the case with nVidia anyways and still same issues.

low and behold Lenovo who the unit came from had only gone and installed 32 bit drivers which can only see part of my memory!! for which my drivers were sitting over the top of it.

Wipe it clean and ran the nVidia driver again...and boom...4 monitors up and running!!

Wahoo...how happy am I!! now for the 3D enable bit!
CAVEMAN

Postby Micktype WR1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:09 pm

...........umm

.............ummm

.What did they say ?
Micktype WR1

Postby John Mc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:17 pm

I had a similar problem when I installed "cock for fanny version 8" just wouldn't fit... something to do with a dogging driver missing or something...
John Mc

Postby Foley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 pm

John Mc Tiddler (Dogging Expert) wrote:I had a similar problem when I installed "cock for fanny version 8" just wouldn't fit... something to do with a dogging driver missing or something...

FPMSL :lol:
Focus ST's rule!!!
Foley

Return to General Discussion