Login    Register

buying a WRX - anything to look for?

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
buying a WRX - anything to look for?

Postby mark172_wr1 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:17 am

Hi all,

I havent been on here for some time now. But i always found i could get good advise on here.

Im going with my friend to look at bug eye wrx 51 reg i think (not sti).. its done 100, 000 miles but has had new a engine 25,000 miles ago. I'm not expecting alot as its only £5000 but i was wondering if there was anything i should look out for which could be later problems ? Other than an exhaust i bleieve the car to be totally standard.. Any advise would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

Mark
Type R
mark172_wr1

Re: buying a WRX - anything to look for?

Postby John Mc » Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 am

mark172_wr1 wrote:Hi all,

I havent been on here for some time now. But i always found i could get good advise on here.

Im going with my friend to look at bug eye wrx 51 reg i think (not sti).. its done 100, 000 miles but has had new a engine 25,000 miles ago. I'm not expecting alot as its only £5000 but i was wondering if there was anything i should look out for which could be later problems ? Other than an exhaust i bleieve the car to be totally standard.. Any advise would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

Mark

I'm no expert but £5k for a 2001 WRX 100k miler seems a bit high.... even with a new engine.

Might be wrong though.
John Mc

Re: buying a WRX - anything to look for?

Postby mark172_wr1 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 am

[/quote]

I'm no expert but £5k for a 2001 WRX 100k miler seems a bit high.... even with a new engine.

Might be wrong though.[/quote]

i thought that too , but its seems the second hand market seems to be getting better these days .. i told him he should of bought one a few months ago

found details of car its a 52 reg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=300315952663&Category=18277&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

[url][/url]
Type R
mark172_wr1

Postby CAVEMAN » Fri May 22, 2009 11:52 am

it is always tricky buying second hand motors blind. Thankfully these jap tractors are pretty reliable.

The usual things to check are what you would do for any car really. For a 100k-er then the interior should be matching that too, and most of the suspension components and brakes so give it a good going over. Make sure all body work and panel gaps are OK.

As for the engine, check that the log book (V5) has been updated with new numbers and chassis code still matches.

I would check oil to make sure it is OK. As for the engine swap, ask if the clutch was changed at the same time. A new engine doesn't mean new pumps and belts either, so check if it has the old ones or it really is a complete new lump and ancillaires.

Other than that, go for a drive and check for smoke, rattles and squeaks. Make sure it tracks straight and brakes straight...and give the tyres a check for uneven wear.

Good luck mate..hope all goes well.
CAVEMAN

Postby mark172_wr1 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:03 pm

thanks Caveman .. sounds like good advise and will check all those. I think i really need to look into this new engine/rebuild. what reciepts the seller has.
Type R
mark172_wr1

Postby Megaman » Fri May 22, 2009 12:42 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:it is always tricky buying second hand motors blind. Thankfully these jap tractors are pretty reliable.

The usual things to check are what you would do for any car really. For a 100k-er then the interior should be matching that too, and most of the suspension components and brakes so give it a good going over. Make sure all body work and panel gaps are OK.

As for the engine, check that the log book (V5) has been updated with new numbers and chassis code still matches.

I would check oil to make sure it is OK. As for the engine swap, ask if the clutch was changed at the same time. A new engine doesn't mean new pumps and belts either, so check if it has the old ones or it really is a complete new lump and ancillaires.

Other than that, go for a drive and check for smoke, rattles and squeaks. Make sure it tracks straight and brakes straight...and give the tyres a check for uneven wear.

with advice like that your coming with me when i change cars next to give the car the once over :)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Fri May 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Megaman wrote:
CAVEMAN wrote:it is always tricky buying second hand motors blind. Thankfully these jap tractors are pretty reliable.

with advice like that your coming with me when i change cars next to give the car the once over :)

As opposed to just kicking the tyres and buying it if your foot bounces off? :lol:

I don't even get that far so I can't really talk!!
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Fri May 22, 2009 2:19 pm

how did you know about my car buying technique?
;)

i dont think it makes a difference anyway... i looked around my wr1 and it was mint except a few minor bits... put deposit down on it... when i went to collect it and pay the balance it had dents in the bumper, kerbed 2 alloys, and brakes were down to the discs... it had more miles on the clock too as i remember telling the missus "Some b*stard has been out in my car after ive put a deposit on it"... was raining when i picked mine up too making it hard to see things...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Fri May 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Excuses excuses.... you just couldn't wait to get in it and give it some :lol:
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Fri May 22, 2009 2:29 pm

and that yer... ;)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Return to General Discussion