Login    Register

Home Sweet Home....

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Home Sweet Home....

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:35 pm

This is the mammoth road trip back for the newly acquired 1...

Just to break it in gently!! Gonna be ace and what an introduction to it...I am sue I will learn all I need to know during these 2 days!

hell yeah...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... e=UTF8&z=5
CAVEMAN

Re: Home Sweet Home....

Postby Bonovox » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:40 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:This is the mammoth road trip back for the newly acquired 1...

Just to break it in gently!! Gonna be ace and what an introduction to it...I am sue I will learn all I need to know during these 2 days!

hell yeah...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... e=UTF8&z=5

Holy smoke! Remember the suitcase full of money for all the fuel stops on the way! :wink: Have fun!
Bonovox

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:59 pm

yep..have reckoned 20MPG..so around 600 notes just for fuel.
then ferry crossing, hotel stop offs and a few sherbets!

All for the love of the 1....
CAVEMAN

Postby Bonovox » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Sounds like you have a nice drive ahead of you in what looks like agood car, have to get some up to date pics and info up when you get home.
Bonovox

Postby John Mc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Are you from Haywoods Heath? I lived in Crawley for 6 years... What a sh!t hole (Crawley)!! :lol:
John Mc

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Nope, originally from Baildon, nr Ilkley. Will be there on Tues 28th and Wed 29th to get the 1 MOT'd and wheel alignment at KT Green Otley. To see the old dear for a night before the drive home.

Lived in Haywards Heath for around 6 years before moving out to the frozen north.

I will be starting the journey home from there Friday mid afternoon. Taking the HD camcorder with me to get it all on film...will edit and post up asap afterwards.
CAVEMAN

Postby John Mc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:33 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Nope, originally from Baildon, nr Ilkley. Will be there on Tues 28th and Wed 29th to get the 1 MOT'd and wheel alignment at KT Green Otley. To see the old dear for a night before the drive home.

Lived in Haywards Heath for around 6 years before moving out to the frozen north.

I will be starting the journey home from there Friday mid afternoon. Taking the HD camcorder with me to get it all on film...will edit and post up asap afterwards.

I'm going to KT green for my 45k service and MOT end of this month too. They are very good in that garage. Might see you down there!! :wink:
John Mc

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:40 pm

booked in for Wednesday 29th, 9am sharp.

booked it, packed it...you know the rest.
CAVEMAN

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:34 pm

That looks close to where "the swede" is from...you may want to enquire about a re-map if its uber cold there otherwise you may well end up over-boosting in the cold!
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby bbigman2000 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Awesome, that looks like one hell of a road trip :lol:

Good luck with everything. :D
Previously: Everything With 4 Wheels over 300bhp

Currently: M6 (57) & Hilux Invincible (60)
bbigman2000

Postby WAYNE WRX » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Sweet road trip, I'm going to Stelvio pass this summer with a few other mate with jap cars, thought that was far enough :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.wwjpc.co.uk Wales "n" West Japanese Performance Cars WR1 495
WAYNE WRX

Postby CAVEMAN » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:09 am

Yep not too far from 'The Swede'...only a few more hours north to Oulu. Shame the snow is starting to melt...oh well roll on next winter! Never wanted it to snow as much as I do right now!!

Will enquire about the mapping, but I never drive any of the 'other' cars when its below -10...I have to put in an engine heater and trickle charger but they are al l kept tucked up at night so come -30 all is cosy and warm.
CAVEMAN

Postby John Mc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:36 am

CAVEMAN wrote:booked in for Wednesday 29th, 9am sharp.

booked it, packed it...you know the rest.

Peter Key, funny as....

Are you staying there whilst it is done or going home?
John Mc

Postby CAVEMAN » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:15 am

John, nah will be staying on as they are fitting the diff guard and doing a full wheel alignment for me too. Always good to have a peek around and might try to see if the rear shocks are still in good nick.

Plus any other work that turns up during the test, fingers crossed won't be anything as just had a service done by Olly.
CAVEMAN

Postby Ferret WR1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:06 pm

That's one heck of a road trip :shock:

Good luck :thumb:
Ferret WR1

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 am

Well, it has been a long week, but finally me and the 1 are back home!!

Here is a quick run down of the last weeks schedule...

Tues Day 1 - Fly from Seinajoki to Helsinki, Helsinki to London Heathrow, Bus from LHR to Reading, train from Reading to Leamington Spa, Taxi from Leamington to Gaydon! Pick up car from Ollie and drive up to Leeds to stay with family. Meet up with John and Megaman for some food and a pint. Start time 3.30am arrive in Baildon 7.15pm

Weds Day 2 - Drive from Baildon to API engines. MOT, 4 wheel alignment with new camber bolts, H&S exhaust, panel filter, fuel pump, Simtek with ALS and LC, and a set of Perfromance Friction disks, pads and new 551 fluid with braided hoses. Drive back up to Baildon. Start time 4.30am, arrive back 00.30am

Thurs Day 3 - Drive from Baildon to Wokingham. Pick up laptop, drive from Wokingham to Haywards Heath to pick up passenger, then set off to Antwerp. Start time 6.15am arrive in Antwerp 11pm

Fri Day 4 - Antwerp to Copenhagen via Nurbergring. What an awsome day!! Turns out it was a factory test day for various racing teams...lots of action and a walk about down the pit lane!! Stayed here longer than we should be hey...well worth it. Start time 10am arrive C'Hagen 02.30am Got the 1 off the clock twice, on the A2 autobahn towards Bremen. GPS indicated was around 167mph...6th gear and rpm was at 6.4 ish so still more to go too!!

Sat Day 5 - Copenhagen to Stockholm...had to be in Stockholm by 6pm to board the Ferry crossing to Turku. Had a few hours kip in the car, so start time was 6am arrived in Stockholm for 4.30pm

Sun Day 6 - After the first good nights kip I have had all week, we arrived in Turku, Finland nice and fresh (well as fresh as you can after a few double JB and Cokes!) and with the final 4 hours of driving ahead of us this was a doddle. Turku to Seinajoki in approx 4 hours. Start time 7.30am arrive back home 11.45am

What an amazing first week of ownership!! Awsome standard car, now transformed with new brakes and better mapping. The ALS is a giggle, but extremely effective now back home on the loose stuff!

All that is left to do is the cleanup...which is already underway. All the seats are out and semi-stripped ready for washing, carpet is cleaned and a set of new mats waiting. Then begin the claying of the outside.

New flocked dashboard and a silver centre console trim is in the post so should be fitted soon too. Then it is all done..until the winter anyways!

Nice to meet up with you John and Megaman....that 100mph cooling thing...total bollox. We were crusing at 110-130 for a long time and the needle never moved a jot. However we did go through several tanks of VMax and we reckon it was averaging around 22MPG...so not far off our estimates.

Good to be home again...will get some pics up when I start downloading from camera.

-Andy
CAVEMAN

Postby eck » Wed May 06, 2009 8:56 am

Quality stuff Cpt Caveman
The WR1 be safe in the knowledge that, short of strapping yourself to an Acme rocket, there's no quicker way to get from A to B.
eck

Postby Megaman » Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 am

Yer it was good to meet you Caveman. The car sounds to be just how you want it now which is great. Interesting to note that the car doesnt overheat at those speeds following the information from the WYIOC guys. For those that are interested they said that at high speeds over 110/120mph the airflow is directed over the scoop and as such things start to overheat if you do that speed for a long period of time. Andy took on the challenge and managed to prove them wrong :lol:

22MPG isnt that bad either to be honest as i get teens in rush hour traffic daily.

Must admit im tempted by the remap/induction/exhaust route but when you add it all up its a lot of dosh. i will have to get John to do me a business proposal to hand to the wife with ROI and all that shite :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 am

Andy,

Superb mate!! Was good to meet up with you too, what a giggle you must have had on the autobahn... I'd love to have a go at that and not worry about getting banned!! You've certianly had a good drive to get used to the car... I take it you won't be back in the UK for a while with the 1 (if ever??). If you are in Leeds again, give Martin/myself a shout and we'll meet up.

Good luck with the car, all the best!!

Mega - The ROI will be a set of AP's :wink: :lol:
John Mc

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am

Yep it was fun...and got a lot of looks on the way.

Autobahn was weird...and you had 2 choices really...stick to the slow stuff and constantly look in your rear view, or get on it and just worry about the stuff in front. At 120ish you have to do both. Some of the speeds cars were doing is quite scary and it wouldn't take much to wipe out or be wiped out. Super smooth and very stable, even the rear spoiler had a nice curve to it! Just wish I had some more room (aka balls) to eek the last few revs out of it..cars and trucks were coming up on us very quickly at that speed.

The remap makes a world of difference even on the 1. Ignoring the ALS and LC stuff, even the base starter map was a huge improvement over stock. Not sure on numbers and to be honest I don't really care, all I know is that it is fun!!
CAVEMAN

Postby The Swede » Wed May 06, 2009 5:55 pm

When I did the trip back from Oulu to UK with the scoob (and spike :lol:) few years ago, I found the rear spoiler really very noisy on the German motorways.
Once above 150mph it started vibrating a lot. :?

Did you get into trouble with the local police yet in Finland ? :lol:
The Swede

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu May 07, 2009 6:54 am

Only had the car a few hours by then so we didn't stay at full chat for very long...and it was drinking like a fish at those speeds.

Not seen the local plod yet...although I am sure I will soon. I am all legal for 6 months anyways so nothing to fear....yet.

The local Subaru stealer is in Tervajoki, on the way to Vaasa and I have already been there to enquire about the engine heater and a swift oil change.
CAVEMAN

Postby The Swede » Thu May 07, 2009 9:11 am

CAVEMAN wrote:Only had the car a few hours by then so we didn't stay at full chat for very long...and it was drinking like a fish at those speeds.

Not seen the local plod yet...although I am sure I will soon. I am all legal for 6 months anyways so nothing to fear....yet.

The local Subaru stealer is in Tervajoki, on the way to Vaasa and I have already been there to enquire about the engine heater and a swift oil change.

The geezer in Tervajoki is the one who also built in my engineheater in the scoob. Not the brightest crayon in the box though :roll:

I assume your run in with the local plod will probably be more because of speeding than the numberplates.
If you get caught by the cops of Mustasaari or Ikaalinen, say hello from me :lol:
The Swede

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 pm

already having a few inquizitive looks but no disco lights yet!

Having a nightmare getting the indicator and brake lights for it....shops only sell the usual round fitment of lights...not the slide in versions!

bloody backward country this is!!
CAVEMAN

Return to General Discussion