All events organised by the WR1OC, and other events that we are involved with

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Houdini wrote:
WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:
danr55 wrote:
dougie549 wrote:HI Guys

Not doing things by half :twisted: :roll: 8)

Only one concern, is the front lip on my P1 going to make it onto the Ferry's i aint to sure?, and have any of you got the Sti Front Lip on the Wr1?

Dougie :roll:

Good point well made, I'm sure a few will have splitter and low front ends, presumably we can shove something in the boot to assist with getting on and off ferries if needs be...

Ours had a front lip and it went on the dover/calais ferry fine although I reckon the "tide" factor nmay have been a helping issue !
Did'nt matter on the way back .....it was no longer attached :lol:

:shock: What happened this time, mate? :shock:

It was the first time grasscutter reporting for duti :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby pav » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:06 am

my hat's off to you Houdini, you don't realise how much goes into organising this sort of thing, Depending on dates I'm well up for the tour, good to see something this close to home for a change. Keep up the good work 8)
pav

Postby Houdini » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:14 pm

Thanks for the continued support, guys. I now have a brand-new glossy copy of the the new CalMac ferry timetable for summer 2008 delivered this morning. There will also be some amendments to the route - all for the better and all on the west coast. I have my slide rule and calculator at the ready and will be giving you something to look forward to VERY much :D

Put JUNE 2008 in your diaries as the planned date.
Houdini

Postby Designerman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:28 pm

June sounds good to me. :)

Just a thought but will the CalMac island hopper ticket be better value than individual bookings.
Designerman

Postby Houdini » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:03 am

Designerman wrote:June sounds good to me. :)

Just a thought but will the CalMac island hopper ticket be better value than individual bookings.

Good point well made. I am indeed looking at the island hopper ticket. This is one reason for potentially changing the route ever so slightly as we can benefit from lower prices (will be approx. £150 for four ferry crossings (Gourock to Dunoon, Mallaig to Armadale, Uig to Tarbert, and Stornoway to Ullapool). Once we have a more precise idea of numbers I'll be back in touch with CalMac to enquire about further discount for group bookings :D

I've got a bit of head-scratching to do as some sailing times and high tide times muck up the travel plans so my spreadsheet looks rather messy right now :shock: Once the route is finalised I'm hopeful that we will get a route map created as a pdf for members to view as it's much easier to visualise the route to see what we will do. Bear with me guys - I'm on the case :wink:
Houdini

Postby The Swede » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:49 am

You know which car you're gonna drive yet ?
The Swede

Postby Houdini » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:02 pm

The Swede wrote:You know which car you're gonna drive yet ?

Can't decide between the Lambo, Aston or Hertz Ford Focus :lol:

It all very much depends on Litchfield, really.
Houdini

Postby The Swede » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm

If you book early, Hertz has a Focus ST they rent for a good price :?

Or go to Avis Prestige collection. They got some nice cars their too.
The Swede

Postby Houdini » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:51 pm

The Swede wrote:If you book early, Hertz has a Focus ST they rent for a good price :?

Or go to Avis Prestige collection. They got some nice cars their too.

:thumb: Thanks for that!
Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:25 pm

Just a quick update, guys.... I've been struggling to tie up info on routes, sailing times and high tide info. The difficulty is that high tide predictions don't seem to go beyond one week, making this task rather awkward. So, I've decided to bypass Google and go straight to the top. I've now phoned the Admiralty Office and tried to explain our dilemna. They then passed me to the UK Hydrographics Office who have been very helpful. There's a good chance I can get some advance info on tidal flows for the dates we're planning for. If I can get those quickly then we can nail down the dates and the final route.

I'm having a ball doing this! Why can't I get a job doing this professionally and make a pile of money? :roll:
Houdini

Postby Designerman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 pm

I was wondering whether high tide times are a real issue; as you could possibly end up with the reverse problem to low tide.
Maybe mid tide would be better. (shoot me if you like - think I'm turning into JD)
Designerman

Postby Houdini » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:35 pm

Tides now look like they won't be a factor. Sailing times and route co-ordination seems to be a broader issue. Over the last weekend I've attempted to finalise the route, and this does mean having to use certain ferry sailing times in order to keep to the itinerary (e.g. one ferry per day at a fixed time!)

Doug has kindly agreed to help in producing the map in pdf format which we hope to get done later this week. If you're going to Cadwell this weekend you'll have a chance to pour over a hardcopy and criticise me to the hilt :roll: I'll get the map up on the site as soon as I can, but I'd like to do a bit more work on the plans first.
Houdini

Postby hightower » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:18 pm

one of the best roads is to go via fort william right up the west coast road, then across the top via tongue (where i am from) (Southern fairy now as live in stirling) then either down the middle via lairg or carry on across the top to thurso (last time i was there there was optimax but was a good few months ago) and down the east coast road.
i love the roads up there is that most are single track so have to judge things alot better and the best bit is that there is only 1 police officer who covers from durness all the way to lairg and thurso so there is no speed limit i have only seen him doing a speed check in tongue once (my mum got caught even though the day before the officer told my mum there was going to be a speed trap) could not let her off as someone from inverness had come up to verify everything. problem is, time of year, gets dark early in winter and roads are easily blocked with snow. petrol is also alot more expensive, unless you drive a diesel then you can run your car on "cherryade". and petrol stations are few and ar between, to be honet i cant think of an optimax station between inverness and thurso. not the best in a wr1, the ctr, at least, would run on normal fuel.
dont know if any of this helps let me know if you need any info and i will see if i can find out as alot of my mates are still up and around there.
Gracing the drive.....BMW M3 E92 with all the toys!/Integra DC5/ Integra DC2 race car/BMW X5
gone...Impreza RB320 No 112
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Seat Leon Cupra 225
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Postby hightower » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 pm

oh, i am in if i am in the uk :D
Gracing the drive.....BMW M3 E92 with all the toys!/Integra DC5/ Integra DC2 race car/BMW X5
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:38 am

Great posts, Hightower :thumb: I love Tongue, and have some very happy memories there, though dodging the logging trucks at speed proved a little too exciting at times :shock:

Sadly we can't get up to the North Coast as time on this particular tour will be against us, but I totally agree on the roads - they're outstanding!

We had a chance to pour over the plans at Cadwell Park last weekend during a rare moment of sobriety and the thumbs are definitely up. I now have a very large amount of work to put this all in place, which will keep me awake for a while! Numbers on this trip will have to be limited due to staying in small, gorgeous hotels, and trying to keep multiple cars together on a large route but I'm sure we can cater for everyone.

So what will happen is that a holiday will be created out of this. The details will be posted separately to known registered site members but will not be publicly accessible on the site (to protect our Intellectual Capital). There's a likelihood that once details are finalised you will probably find out about it via an e-mail to your registered account and this thread will disappear.

Please do bear with me whilst I work out which way is up, and put some time aside in June 2008 :D :D
Houdini

Postby hightower » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:18 pm

cheers,
looking forward to it. 8)
try to be home for june.
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Postby RobinSherwood » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

danr55 wrote:
Good point well made, I'm sure a few will have splitter and low front ends, presumably we can shove something in the boot to assist with getting on and off ferries if needs be...

I've got a front splitter on my car. The car has AST suspension which I have lowered a further 25mm all round from the baseline setting. (I think I will put it up 5mm again at some point)

I do have a problem with the ramps in some car parks but generally so long as I go slowly enough the biggest problem is the nasty scraping noise which with the benefit of experience sounds far worse than it is.

When I took the car to Le Mans this year I got on and off the ferry without a major problem (I told them on check in I had limited ground clearance which often changes which deck they allocate you to on larger ferries). Again the underside of the splitter did scrape the ramp but nothing more and also taking these things at an angle can help.

Fraser - depending on dates I would be up for this trip, always wanted to go driving in Scotland but they won't accept either of my oldies on the Scottish Malts :cry:
RobinSherwood

Postby Gee Wr1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 pm

hightower wrote:one of the best roads is to go via fort william right up the west coast road, then across the top via tongue (where i am from) (Southern fairy now as live in stirling) then either down the middle via lairg or carry on across the top to thurso (last time i was there there was optimax but was a good few months ago) and down the east coast road.
i love the roads up there is that most are single track so have to judge things alot better and the best bit is that there is only 1 police officer who covers from durness all the way to lairg and thurso so there is no speed limit i have only seen him doing a speed check in tongue once (my mum got caught even though the day before the officer told my mum there was going to be a speed trap) could not let her off as someone from inverness had come up to verify everything. problem is, time of year, gets dark early in winter and roads are easily blocked with snow. petrol is also alot more expensive, unless you drive a diesel then you can run your car on "cherryade". and petrol stations are few and ar between, to be honet i cant think of an optimax station between inverness and thurso. not the best in a wr1, the ctr, at least, would run on normal fuel.
dont know if any of this helps let me know if you need any info and i will see if i can find out as alot of my mates are still up and around there.

Yeah & they have just changed the single police man in the area, i know the new one as he used to be my next door neighbour until about a year & half ago when i moved up the road a bit. He's a really nice bloke :D
Gee Wr1

Postby Houdini » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:30 am

Getting close, guys :wink: There's been so much done on this now that I'm actually dreaming about it in my sleep :shock:

There are still some pretty hefty logistical hurdles to jump yet - nothing too difficult except to explain to my elderly mum why she can't come :oops!: :wink:

So here's the remaining plan....

The next two weeks will be tools down for me as I will need to focus on other matters but then you'll see a pile of action here hopefully before Xmas. I've never known such an event to generate so much interest and I'm concerned about the numbers already.

It's a big trip, guys! 715 miles will face you across a week's driving.

I know of nobody who has done this like we will. You'll be the first to do this - expect the best, and budget for it.

I am deliberately keeping things back, for now, but watch this space closely....
Houdini

Postby presa900 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm

Sounds like its all coming along nicely Fraser, really looking forward to this. Top man for all the work you've put into it, let me know when you want to update the route with the final plan and if you need any other help. :thumb:
presa900

Postby Designerman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Great stuff Fraser. :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing the final route and itinerary.. :)
Designerman

Postby Houdini » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm

The Highland tour is now finalised. There will now be a thread going up under the Events Registration section. This will be a premier event for us all and I'm keen that we keep things in the right place. I'm going to lock this thread now so please use alternative fora if we need to cover any further details.

Thanks guys!
Houdini

Previous

Return to ALL Events