Login    Register

Day at Autotecnica tomorrow

All events organised by the WR1OC, and other events that we are involved with

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Day at Autotecnica tomorrow

Postby DCFCtom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Cant wait. Got my 6 month service and a few other bits and bobs I wanted doing tomorrow. Received fantastic service from them only the other month when considering who id want to do the work. Seen plenty of positives from other Subaru owners and im more than happy to let Adam and Jamie loose on my pride and joy and they are only half an hr away. WINNER.

Now what to do in Buxton for a few hrs?? Gonna have to sup tea in pubs to keep warm me thinks
DCFCtom

Re: Day at Autotecnica tomorrow

Postby goonas » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:12 pm

I try to make a day of walking around Buxton, get the DSLR out and try and get some good photo's :)

My downside is Autotechnica is over 120 miles away - but its very worth the journey :)
Lunacy is a right foot away.
goonas

Postby DCFCtom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Good idea with the camera. Wont be many shots of Buxton mind you. Il head over to the Buxton-Macclesfield rd so expect a few piccies :twisted: :D
DCFCtom

Postby Megaman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm

What are you having done?
:D
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby DCFCtom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Mega, im having the 6 month service but i just want them to have a look at a few things like fixing a dodgy boost gauge, checking the front brakes as there appears to be some sort of ticking noise once moving, fitting my new gear knob and possibly a gearbox oil change and coding of my spare key if the lads have time?? Havent made them aware of those two things yet :oops:

They are also just going to give the car a once over as when I went to find where they were they had the bonnet up and noticed a few loose parts like the airbox and a few other bits which i think the garage I bought it from were pissing around with when they had the car for its new syncro that time :shock: basically shes having a health check lol
DCFCtom

Postby Megaman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm

DCFCtom wrote:Hi Mega, im having the 6 month service but i just want them to have a look at a few things like fixing a dodgy boost gauge, checking the front brakes as there appears to be some sort of ticking noise once moving, fitting my new gear knob and possibly a gearbox oil change and coding of my spare key if the lads have time?? Havent made them aware of those two things yet :oops:

They are also just going to give the car a once over as when I went to find where they were they had the bonnet up and noticed a few loose parts like the airbox and a few other bits which i think the garage I bought it from were pissing around with when they had the car for its new syncro that time :shock: basically shes having a health check lol

Sounds good mate, send Adam my regards
:)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby scoobychris555 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm guessing this place is very good looking through the comments, opinions on these over RCM or vice versa would be appreciated. RCM is only 50 miles away from me see. Thanks.
scoobychris555

Postby davetwr1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 pm

how did you get on tom adam and jamie are top blokes they will look after your pride and joy i am up to see them on sat for my 50000 service. hope you enjoyed the roads around there :D
davetwr1

Postby Gary75 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 am

scoobychris555 wrote:I'm guessing this place is very good looking through the comments, opinions on these over RCM or vice versa would be appreciated. RCM is only 50 miles away from me see. Thanks.

My preference would be Autotecnica, RCM failed to set up my geometry correctly, and left the steering wheel off centre. The car was aligned on the floor not on ramps? So how they mangaged to set up the camber and toe is beyond me? The car was also lowered so would be impossible in my opinion. It took most of the day?? And was charged accordingly :x they didnt seem to have the staff and the guy i do believe was Ollies brother was flitting from my car to another? I now use a company called Powerstation in Tewkesbury, when the car was put on the alignment rig the settings were all over the place??? Thank you RCM!! :x The car handles and drives perfect now and the steering wheel is now centred......

The above is just from my experience, some rave about RCM, but ultimately the choice is yours :?:
Gary75

Postby scoobychris555 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

Gary75 wrote:
scoobychris555 wrote:I'm guessing this place is very good looking through the comments, opinions on these over RCM or vice versa would be appreciated. RCM is only 50 miles away from me see. Thanks.

My preference would be Autotecnica, RCM failed to set up my geometry correctly, and left the steering wheel off centre. The car was aligned on the floor not on ramps? So how they mangaged to set up the camber and toe is beyond me? The car was also lowered so would be impossible in my opinion. It took most of the day?? And was charged accordingly :x they didnt seem to have the staff and the guy i do believe was Ollies brother was flitting from my car to another? I now use a company called Powerstation in Tewkesbury, when the car was put on the alignment rig the settings were all over the place??? Thank you RCM!! :x The car handles and drives perfect now and the steering wheel is now centred......

The above is just from my experience, some rave about RCM, but ultimately the choice is yours :?:

Thanks for your input Gary. The people I use for my handling are ABP up in Crewe, they turned my Classic into a different car with their fast road setup, in fact words cant even describe how good it was after going there :D

Powerstation is another not too far from me, im kind of in the middle of most places. Always looking for peoples experiences with different tuners.

Thankd again. Chris.
scoobychris555

Postby Carl Curtis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Gary75 wrote:

This has got me very worried. I have mine ready to go into RCM in the next week or so to have BC's fitted along with anti roll bars and drop links etc and all set up to a ' fast road' setting. New sport cat back exhaust system also being fitted.
Above is costing me a pretty penny and dont want to go to the trouble of having someone check there work to make sure it's been done correctly.
What to do????

Carl
Carl Curtis

Postby Gary75 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Carl, all I can say is make sure the geometry is set up on ramps, mine was done on the floor? At a cost of £200. My car was supposed to be set up for fast road, although felt different after adjustment? Still didn't feel right on certain bends, I put this down to AWD, nerves etc. But unfortunately the set up was wrong.

Powerstation left no stone unturned, I had a problem they sorted it, the guy who set my geometry was a perfectionist which I commend. Thanks Kevin :bow:

I don't give garages a second chance, if they fook up or can't be bothered, then I won't use again...simples :!:

Give Powerstation a call for a quote.. They use AST coilovers ? No harm in trying.

Autotecnica can also fit the BC coilovers for you, they use a local geometry company last time I enquired.

Hope this helps?
Gary75

Postby Carl Curtis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Gary75 wrote:Carl, all I can say is make sure the geometry is set up on ramps, mine was done on the floor? At a cost of £200. My car was supposed to be set up for fast road, although felt different after adjustment? Still didn't feel right on certain bends, I put this down to AWD, nerves etc. But unfortunately the set up was wrong.

Powerstation left no stone unturned, I had a problem they sorted it, the guy who set my geometry was a perfectionist which I commend. Thanks Kevin :bow:

I don't give garages a second chance, if they fook up or can't be bothered, then I won't use again...simples :!:

Give Powerstation a call for a quote.. They use AST coilovers ? No harm in trying.

Autotecnica can also fit the BC coilovers for you, they use a local geometry company last time I enquired.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Gary, will give it some thought.
Carl Curtis

Postby asperformance » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:24 pm

not commenting on the rights and wrongs of any particular company..................

your assumption that GEO cant be done on the floor is far from correct Gary, it just requires different equipment and IMO a different skill set................
most race cars are still done in this more traditional way even at very high level and its how we would set-up

like most things in life its not what you have its wether you use if effectively 8)
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Carl Curtis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:15 pm

asperformance wrote:not commenting on the rights and wrongs of any particular company..................

your assumption that GEO cant be done on the floor is far from correct Gary, it just requires different equipment and IMO a different skill set................
most race cars are still done in this more traditional way even at very high level and its how we would set-up

like most things in life its not what you have its wether you use if effectively 8)

How do you set up camber and toe adjustments when car is on the floor?
Carl Curtis

Postby Gary75 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 pm

asperformance wrote:not commenting on the rights and wrongs of any particular company..................

I will agree to disagree but at the end of the day the settings were incorrect, hence my visit to another company.
Last edited by Gary75 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary75

Postby DCFCtom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 pm

davetwr1 wrote:how did you get on tom adam and jamie are top blokes they will look after your pride and joy i am up to see them on sat for my 50000 service. hope you enjoyed the roads around there :D

Hiya Dave, Hope your well? Had a fantastic day. As you say the guys are absolutely brilliant. Really knowledgeable and friendly fellas and you get a fantastic price at the end of it. Good too know I can take my pride and joy to a garage I can trust :D

Didnt get much fun with the rds as there was snow up on the moors with low lying bloody cloud so no fun to be had :( Managed to get a few piccies after i picked the one up. Not the best as it was bloody freezing

DCFCtom

Postby scoobychris555 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Some nice pics there Tom
scoobychris555

Postby DCFCtom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:05 pm

scoobychris555 wrote:Some nice pics there Tom

Thanks Chris. Whenever the 1 goes out the camera comes too. Cant stop taking pics of her lol :oops:
DCFCtom

Postby asperformance » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Carl Curtis wrote:

quite easily, you measure it making sure you use a checked perfectly flat surface................

why do you think you can only use a ramp to do the same??
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Gary75 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm

asperformance wrote:
Carl Curtis wrote:

quite easily, you measure it making sure you use a checked perfectly flat surface................

Access to camber bolts, tie rods somewhat restricted at floor level? The front end of my car was jacked up to gain access to the front tie rods?? That isn't right surely? And rear camber bolts / adjustment seemed awkward even on a ramp, so floor level in my opinion would be virtually impossible to loosen the bolts adjust the camber then tighten bolts? Corroded parts being adjusted at floor level on a lowered car???

Sorry Tom for hijacking this thread, scoobychris was asking for opinions on RCM vs Autotecnica.
Last edited by Gary75 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Gary75

Postby Carl Curtis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 pm

asperformance wrote:
Carl Curtis wrote:

I was thinking that access to the adjustment bolts whilst the car is on the floor would be almost impossible.
Carl Curtis

Postby asperformance » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:33 am

quite straight forward BUT the car requires to be "settled" on its suspension afterwards..................

even on a ramp you have very limited access because of suspension arms and wheels so if seized then it can require wheels off and hence re-settled also..........
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby chiroman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:37 pm

The "String Computer" is as accurate as the Hunter laser setup.

Recently I set up the rear toe by "String Computer" after doing some maintenance on the inboard adjustment bolts, more as an experiment as was having full laser alignment later. Surprisingly to me the rear toe was spot on, no further adjustment needed. This is reassuring as if desired can mess around with toe settings as required - maybe.

Using a bit of trigonometry its easy to convert the toe in minutes to millimetres at the wheel rim. 1mm toe = 7mins
chiroman

Postby Gary75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:37 pm

chiroman wrote:The "String Computer" is as accurate as the Hunter laser setup.

Recently I set up the rear toe by "String Computer" after doing some maintenance on the inboard adjustment bolts, more as an experiment as was having full laser alignment later. Surprisingly to me the rear toe was spot on, no further adjustment needed. This is reassuring as if desired can mess around with toe settings as required - maybe.

Using a bit of trigonometry its easy to convert the toe in minutes to millimetres at the wheel rim. 1mm toe = 7mins

I suppose all geometry machines / wheel alignment rigs are as much as much and only as accurate as the monkey taking the readings and doing the adjustments :?:
Gary75

Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Exe-tc set ours up on the floor using 2 adjustable frames and a bit of string, they called it boxing ot up or something like that !
I asked a question on why no laser geo being used? There reply was how do you think rally teams do geometry settings in the middle of parc ferme ?

So I guess as chiroman says " a string computer"

As for RCM getting it wrong Gary , yes I would agree, If the steering wheel was not central did you ask for it to be centralised ?

As for Powerstation went there once for AP's to be fitted, and the spanner boy who put my car on the ramps got out and "chucked the keys on the roof" :evil: ! So good an bad in all I suppose
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Gary75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:Exe-tc set ours up on the floor using 2 adjustable frames and a bit of string, they called it boxing ot up or something like that !
I asked a question on why no laser geo being used? There reply was how do you think rally teams do geometry settings in the middle of parc ferme ?

As for RCM getting it wrong Gary , yes I would agree, If the steering wheel was not central did you ask for it to be centralised ?

As for Powerstation went there once for AP's to be fitted, and the spanner boy who put my car on the ramps got out and "chucked the keys on the roof" :evil: ! So good an bad in all I suppose

RCM told me the geometry setting was correct, although the wheel was slight off centre? I left it at that and drive home. The wheel did centre on some straight road surfaces but other than that was sitting slightly to the left. Before adjustment the steering wheel sat slightly to the right?

I also have exe-tc fitted. On investigation at Powersration the geometry set up was incorrect and the front suspension was sat on the bump stops hence the tyre was acting as the damper when cornering. Not a nice drive at speed!, RCM failed to spot this. All four struts were removed new adjustment collars fitted as the originals were seized, all four corners were raised by 25mm, the difference was night and day.
Gary75

Postby chiroman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 am

String Computer:- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... fixes.html
see post #15.

This is near enough the method I used, tho I tied the string to the axle stands. Incidentally the rear track is different to front which you discover with the parallel strings.

I did a bit of research prior to working on mine and notice you can get lightweight metal frames which hook over the front and rear of the car, the string attached to these. This enables car to rolled along etc without disturbing strings. Guess you use this in the pits for competition.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1091836

As you have an issue with work done by RCM maybe you should talk to the Organ grinders and not the monkey to get some satisfactory resolution £££, after all the Gobstopper seems to handle very well, albeit a track car, so someone knows what they're doing.
chiroman

Postby Gary75 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:27 am

chiroman wrote:String Computer:- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... fixes.html
see post #15.

This is near enough the method I used, tho I tied the string to the axle stands. Incidentally the rear track is different to front which you discover with the parallel strings.

I did a bit of research prior to working on mine and notice you can get lightweight metal frames which hook over the front and rear of the car, the string attached to these. This enables car to rolled along etc without disturbing strings. Guess you use this in the pits for competition.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1091836

As you have an issue with work done by RCM maybe you should talk to the Organ grinders and not the monkey to get some satisfactory resolution £££, after all the Gobstopper seems to handle very well, albeit a track car, so someone knows what they're doing.

Yes i agree someone knows what there doing at RCM :?: but on the day of my visit that skill set wasnt to be. I must add the car did handle better on first impression, but still had a nervous feel on the bends / corners. I wanted a second opinion, so i used Powerstaion.

We are going way of the content of this subject which was Toms day at Autotecnica. Scoobychris asked for opinion on RCM vs Autotecnica, i gave my opinion. Anyone else had issues with either company good or bad?? or am i the only one who dare in this politically incorrect world put my greivances into writing :!:
Gary75

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Gary75 wrote:
WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:Exe-tc set ours up on the floor using 2 adjustable frames and a bit of string, they called it boxing ot up or something like that !

RCM told me the geometry setting was correct, although the wheel was slight off centre? I left it at that and drive home. The wheel did centre on some straight road surfaces but other than that was sitting slightly to the left. Before adjustment the steering wheel sat slightly to the right?

I also have exe-tc fitted. On investigation at Powersration the geometry set up was incorrect and the front suspension was sat on the bump stops hence the tyre was acting as the damper when cornering. Not a nice drive at speed!, RCM failed to spot this. All four struts were removed new adjustment collars fitted as the originals were seized, all four corners were raised by 25mm, the difference was night and day.

Fair comment Gary, did you contact RCM after Powerstation rectified the set-up ?
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to ALL Events