Login    Register

You Lot May Find This Interesting?

General discussion about Scoobs.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
You Lot May Find This Interesting?

Postby Kamakarzi » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:42 pm

Don`t know if any of you lot remember about me griping about the road holding and noisy squeeling tyres etc?

I complained, as I told you lot weeks ago, to both the garage and Prodrive. All they said was that, I expected too much from the car.

So...............

One of the earlier posts on the site recommended getting a full computerised wheel alignment check done, plus as you suggersted Jason, dumping the original fitment tyres and going over to Goodyears.

I put off the wheel alignment because it was
Kamakarzi

Postby chris » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:53 pm

Good to hear. I've never been over happy with the P Zero tyres, fine in the dry, not too good in the wet. Dreading them in the ice! :?
chris

Postby jaycee » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:43 pm

Glad to hear it! :D
I can't say often enough how good the Goodyear F1's are. They seem to suit the Subaru perfectly.
jaycee

Postby Kamakarzi » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:18 am

Yeah!...........cheers again Jase!
Kamakarzi

Postby D3ave » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:30 am

Jaycee wrote:Glad to hear it! :D
I can't say often enough how good the Goodyear F1's are. They seem to suit the Subaru perfectly.

Not happy with Pirellis either, especially as they offer no protection to the expensive rims, so on Jasons recommendation put on the Goodyear F1s and WHAT a difference!!!!!!
Car feels firmer on suspension too, more confident on cornering, and I have caught the kerb while parking without touching rim, a good move alround fitting these tyres.

Dave
D3ave

Postby chris » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:12 am

Looks like i'll be having F1's fitted once the Zero's have worn out then. Have you guys worn your Pirelli's out already, or did you do an early change?
chris

Postby Brian » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:29 am

I still have the original Tyres on the 1, but i did have TSL re aling the wheels and Graham was not happy with the turn in.

The rear offside wheel was out.

THis was sorted out and the 1 Corners alot better, feeling as if the 1 wants to go round a corner.

You lot must be really working with speed to be able to compare tyres.

As you can only compare tyre when you are always driving on the limits !!!
Brian

Postby Gee Wr1 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:39 pm

Allways had F1's on the bug wrx & loved them :D
Gee Wr1

Postby Kamakarzi » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:18 pm

BRIAN........

Bri, I don`t think it`s so much as working the tyres to their upper speed limits, just the whole car is now different on the F1`s. Knowing as you probably do, certain bends or roundabouts where at times there is no traffic at all, so you can throw the WR into them in safety.

With the P Zeros the car would slide round roundabouts in the wet. OK it was controllable, but it was still understeering badly caused by probably too much power in the first place.

Now the car is like...........totally different! Same rounabouts, same power, but a totally DIFFERENT car! I was told the only reason they put the Zeros on in the first place was because Pirelli sponsored the rallies?

With regard to the computerised set up. Mine was also out like yours, which I think for Prodrive to turn them out the factory like this is disgusting!! So hence why the post to suggest to the other owners to get it checked out.

So this with the tyre change was worth every penny!!!
Kamakarzi

Postby chelspeed » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:40 pm

It's not Prodrive it's Subaru.

Subaru asked Prodrive to develop a kit of parts to turn a pale blue STi into a WR1. Prodrive did this and delivered the kits to Subaru UK. Subaru UK imported the cars and fitted the Prodrive developed kits to the cars. I'm sure Prodrive would have liked to personally check the geometry of every WR1 before it was shipped but unless Subaru ask then to (and pay!) then they don't have the opportunity.

So by all means moan about the cars being shipped with badly set up goemetry but please moan at the right people.

ps I agree with your sentiments.
chelspeed

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:36 pm

I heard that Crossroads Subaru Dealer where checling the steering geometry Before the WR1s went out to customers, and getting them corrected

I dont if this is true or not ?

I dont find the car sliding in the wet, maybe i just drive to slow ?

:shock:
Brian

Postby stijoy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:45 pm

brian, how much was the geometry check you had done at tsl?.
stijoy

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:21 pm

I went on track with the pirellis and did well over 100 laps. The grip was awesome and the tyres held out really well with only slight wear. I absolutely canned the WR1 around the track and did not granny it at any point. I drove it with the intention of taking it past the limit but simply could not find one.

Am very happy with the neros and wouldn't consider changing them.

Agree with the comments re the Porsche Turbo. I raced one when my car was standard and was on him the whole distance till he jammed on the brakes. I was ripped on scoobynet for even suggesting the possibility of keeping up with a porka turbo. w@nkers
Gangsta Smurf

Postby chris » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:38 pm

:lol:
chris

Postby Kamakarzi » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Gangsta man..........if you think the P Zeros are awesome mate, think of the F1`s as double bubble awsome, then add another 100%!

We`re not talking about racing around a track here regarding the tyres, but normal everyday road work! It`s OK on a track to drift, but not on the public highway, where I`m afraid the P1`s when pushed seem to do.
Kamakarzi

Postby GalaxiaN » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Kamakarzi wrote:Gangsta man..........if you think the P Zeros are awesome mate, think of the F1`s as double bubble awsome, then add another 100%!

Can't wait for the P Zeros to run out.
Hmmm! Some donuts after hours in Tesco's car park should speed things up :wink:

Whats the deal with the geometry setup at TSL?
Is this a one off thing or something that has to be carried out periodically or when I change my tyres.
GalaxiaN

Return to General Scooby Chat